The Happy Hooker: A Review

natalie058

I'm not sure if I should have started a new thread just for this, since there is already an HH thread going - so if not, I apologize and feel free to delete.

I just wanted to let anyone who's interested know that I posted a review of Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet - The Happy Hooker at my blog. I talk about some details of the book, and share some peaks at some of the projects.

Maybe if you were waffling about buying it, this will help you make up your mind.

You can find the review HERE.

Thanks for looking! :D

Great review Natalie!

It'll be a while before it's available here, but I really did like the original S&B (haven't got my hands on a copy of Nation yet though) so I was hoping that this one would be good too.

Now I can't wait! I have a few girlfriends who are wanting to learn to crochet, and I've been looking out for a fun and easy to understand guide for a way to explain things to them. This might just be it :)

I ordered the book today before I read your review...and had I not ordered it, I would have after reading your review...I look forward to receiving the book now...

Thanks for sharing...

Great review! My copy is on the way to me now, and I admit I was a little leery that it might be a bit condescending to crochet. You've eased my mind. :P

Hurry up, Mr. Postman! :devil

Great review Natalie. Thanks for the compliment, by the way. I read the whole review and you did a nice job.

I was thinking about what you said, about wrapping the hook around the yarn as being odd. I spent a moment thinking about it, and I have to say, that's actually what I do. Some people grab the yarn and wrap it around the stationary hook, and some people like myself, twist (wrap) the hook around the stationary yarn. Perhaps that's what she meant by that statement. I think it's all in the semantics, you know?

P.S. Did you check your copy? I know some people have said they have missing pages. There's a link on Craftster about it.

I've really enjoyed this book. I like her humorous writing style. It makes you just sail through the pages.

But one thing I was disappointed with was her very brief description of tunisian/intarsia/idiot, (?????!!!!!!) crocheting.

She doesn't explain that you don't need to cross-stitch over top of it to make graphed afghans. That you can actually change the colors of yarn as you are knitting and create beautiful works of "art" with this crocheting technique.

She seemed to just pass over this wonderful, (and extremely impressive), form of crochet.

Anyone else disappointed with that part or is it just me?

I didn't get a close look at it, but three of my origial ideas I pitched to her were for Tunisian. I said that it was the perfect gateway for those who are knitters and want to learn crochet. She didn't bite. Not sure why. I'll have to check it out more closely when I get the book.

I've really enjoyed this book. I like her humorous writing style. It makes you just sail through the pages.

But one thing I was disappointed with was her very brief description of tunisian/intarsia/idiot, (?????!!!!!!) crocheting.

She doesn't explain that you don't need to cross-stitch over top of it to make graphed afghans. That you can actually change the colors of yarn as you are knitting and create beautiful works of "art" with this crocheting technique.

She seemed to just pass over this wonderful, (and extremely impressive), form of crochet.

Anyone else disappointed with that part or is it just me?

I noticed this, too. It struck the same chord with me that her other color-work explanation did - she explains tapestry crochet but not intarsia or how to use bobbins. I really wished she *would* have explained color changes with Tunisian, because I've wondered how get a single block to be a color when there's two parts making up the stitches, and I'm too lazy to try to find out on my own. :hook

Maybe she's just saving the more "advanced" stuff for the sequel? :xfin

Oh Natalie, I see you live in Michigan. Too bad you're not here in Indiana because I'd love to show you how.

I studied this site's tutorial ...

http://home.comcast.net/~crochet_cindy/tutorial/afghan.htm#Changing

and after a couple of small sized practice ghans, I have it down pretty good.

In fact, I was thinking of teaching it at our local Michael's store if I can find enough interested folks.

I thought it would be difficult to locate this book around here anytime soon, so I ordered it from Amazon. Well, of course when I went to my local B&N it was there and boy I'm glad I'm going to be the proud owner of this one, it's fabulous I love it and I'm very critical about crochet publications as of late. Debbie Stoller didn't disappoint with great patterns from various designers, many I hadn't heard of before and her same witty, unique way of making even the mundane, basic techniques of crochet seem interesting.

I didn't get a close look at it, but three of my origial ideas I pitched to her were for Tunisian. I said that it was the perfect gateway for those who are knitters and want to learn crochet. She didn't bite. Not sure why. I'll have to check it out more closely when I get the book.

It may be possible that there just wasn't enough room to give Tunisian a good explanation, or that the publisher/Debbie/whoever thought that it might be too much for a book being marketed mostly to beginners. Tunisian is one of those methods I haven't picked up yet myself, mostly because I can't find the hooks. Have noticed that it's showing up more, though, so if there's a second Stoller crochet book, maybe there's a better chance of getting some Tunisian crochet in there! Or, since you have patterns worked up already, a basis for a pitch of your own to a publisher. I think there's a dearth of Tunisian patterns out there, and explaining it as a gateway between knitting and crocheting sounds great to me!

MK, that's kind of what I was attibuting to (in my own head anyway!). And hey, it's always another great reason for her to come back to the concept of doing a crochet book. As for my own stuff, yes, for sure. I have ideas for books that aren't out yet. ;-) Keepin'em to myself though. :) he, he, he!

I got my copy yesterday from Crafters Choice. There are a few things in there I want to do starting with the seamless sweater and theat gorgeous lacy cardigan. The slipper are too cute and will make great gifts:)

I enjoy her style of writing very much. I was going to skip the beginning 'cause I knoe the basics but she is so entertaining I read through it all.

Archived