Practical Crochet for Babies

I am hoping those of you who crochet for your own babies and toddlers will answer this.

What kind of items do you crochet for your little ones that they actually use?

I can think of many things that I would make for a gift but I'd like to make things that the baby will use. I did not crochet when my kids were babies. An aunt made a box-stitch? or diagonal stitch blanket which was useful, because it was solid.

I really don't see that a baby would get much use of pretty lacey blankies...

correct me if I am wrong.

Hats - bonnets or beanies? do they stay on? I used bonnet-style with mine, but I see a lot of beanie-style baby hats.

In clothing items I am totally lost. I figured out that worsted weight is ridiculously heavy -looking for a little one even though there are many patterns using it. Styles? many of them are beautiful but can't see today's babies wearing them.

What about baby bunting? I considered those practical, had some flanel version for my babies, mainly b/c I never mastered the art of wrapping them in receiving blankets.:lol

Suggestions, opinions, pictures - please keep them coming.:)

I make a lot of baby items. My grandson loves his blankies. He has named them by their color. Yellow goes to bed with him every nite, no matter where he is. Green stays at Lola (his name for his Phillapino grandmother) Blue goes in the camper and white stays on the couch and is only used when yellow is in the wash. My granddaughter who is going to be born in the next couple of weeks has a new dress, two new hats (one with flaps) four new pair of baby socks, and two new bibs. I have yet to make her a blankie but will get to that after I see her. I sell a lot of sweater sets, hats, and socks for babies. Working on a line of bunny pacifier clips now. I make a lot of fancy dresses for special occasions but blankies and socks are the favorites.:hook

I didn't crochet when DD was a baby, but I started when she was about 7. I used to crochet toys for her occasionally, but sadly, I never made her a blanket or clothing. I finally made her a blanket this year (she's 15 now!) but I screwed up the pattern and it was long enough, but not WIDE enough. Lol....

I have an 18 mo DS now, that I've been crocheting things for. Mostly beanies and hats, and I'm working on a blanket for him. Most crochet "clothing" is girly, even the "boy" stuff IMHO. I really can't see myself making him any clothing except for hats, mittens, scarves, etc., and maybe (just maybe) a sweater/coat kinda thing. But I don't make clothing items for anyone else either.

Add to that would-make list the new amigurmi animals. I actually think that's pretty kewl for any age.

I can hardly remember the little things I used to make for my sons a long time ago. But I know that their crocheted cotton hats, booties and mittens were used until they outgrew it. I also made a crocheted top and a knitted top (both made from cotton thread) for a one year old, which both my sons used until it got small for them. They also liked the colorful soft baby blocks crocheted from WW yarn and a rattle also made from yarn. Those are gone now, it really got worn out from use. :hook

Being the mama of 3 under four (for the next six days, at least!) I've learned quite a lot about what's practical, but it is still going to vary by mama and of course by the time of year/climate the baby is born. (I saw a lot of people gifting Baby It's Cold Outside sweaters in August!)

I don't have a problem with WW yarn things. Sport weight is best, IMO, but WW does have its place, especially a light worsted weight like Caron's Simply Soft. It works just fine for stuff like sweaters, blankets, & hats.

Booties and hats are my favorite quick projects. Newborn size, especially. I found out the hard way people flip out if you don't have a hat on your newborn. :lol And booties...darned if those things don't disappear constantly. Of course, lots of babies are excellent at kicking them off!

Many's the time I've wished for more mittens, but most of the patterns out there call for a drawstring, which I'm not convinced is terribly safe. Or practical, for that matter.

I've made a few pairs of pants too. My middle baby was a month early, and there just wasn't enough preemie stuff out there. Soakers (diaper covers) and longies (pants-type diaper covers) are also great. I've even made my youngest a skirt or two (out of WW yarn, no less). I think clothes in general are wonderful, especially if they are very simply styled. I've mentioned before a sweater pattern published (I think) in Annie's Favorite Crochet that had bobbles on the back. Newborns spend a lot of time on their back, & I cannot imagine little lumps running the length of your sweater can possibly be comfortable!

Toys...Simple things that are easy to grab onto. My Esther loves the segmented worm (supposed to be a caterpillar, but I didn't put legs on it ;)) I made her for Christmas. Balls are also good. You don't really need anything fancy. Stuff it lightly so it can be grabbed.

I agree with you about lacy blankets. However, I do think they have a place for toddlers. My two-year-old has suddenly decided to be attached to a blanket I made for her doll for Christmas. :hook For a summer baby, I'd only make a small blanket, because I don't want to encourage anyone to overbundle their kid.

One thing it which it occurs to me that would be practical, though I've never thought to make it, would be a very lightly stuffed rectangle that could be folded & put in a diaper bag to act as a portable changing pad. (This is generally what I used blankets for during the summer.)

Washcloths, I think, are also very practical. Someone here on C'ville made carseat strap covers, similar to what you find in the stores. I think those are also pretty practical.

And you can also make a small blanket for nursing mamas to give to the folks offended by them feeding their baby in public.:P

I have had 4 kids who arre now pimply face teenagers, and disagreeable young adults! :eek Three of them are boys.

I reckon you cant go wrong with hats. Booties are good up to an age, but when bub starts moving they are a bit dangerous as they provide a slippery base. I used to make the boys those cute slippers with the lambskin base for grip.

Hats, beanies, bonnets will also get a of of wear for a longer period of time.

For gifts I try and go for a 6month up size. People often get a lot of lttle baby stuff when the child is born, but it is once they start moving and eating they need more clothes to see them through the day. Cotton bibs are also a good bet. These are quick and fun to make.

As for bigger projects I reckon you cant go past the rug or as you put it blanket. Eithor stoller size, car seat size or a bit bigger. Smaller ones have the appeal in that they are cartable. I have also learnt that while wool has a lovely texture, it is a real pain to wash and absorbs odours. Therefore bub rugs are best made out of synthetic/acrylic yarn. Bubs puke, and will always manage to puke on the rug. :eek There are all sorts of bodily fluids to think of here!

Acrylic is also lighter and easy to shove into a carry bag or backpack. So when I make stuff for babies I tend to go for the 6mth - 12 month size, bright colours. They are little for such a short time. If it is double knit/8ply I believe it is tuffer option. :manyheart

or and I just remembered the other thing I used to crotchet was covers for baby talc and tissue boxes. These were always well received as they are a bit different..

Hope these ideas help. :hook

:rofl I have three and they are all boys, and one is now a 'pimply face teenager and a disagreeable young adult'! Don't you wish they could stay about three and a half (but then they'd never be out of the house....) Anyway..

I was going to say I have made lots of things for my boys, afghans, sweaters, hats, slippers, toys. In our house, the toys, slippers, and hats get the most use. My kids all run hot and don't like to wear sweaters. I would say for a baby, bibs and hats will probably get the most use. And afghans. :2c

Tina

I have had 4 kids who arre now pimply face teenagers, and disagreeable young adults! :eek Three of them are boys.

So far, it seems to me, that blankies, hats, booties, toys are favourites, followed by clothing items .

Thanks you so much - you are really helping :)I have a growing list of items I want to make.

My first suggestion is: Know the person you are gifting because everyone is so different.

Very few people I know would use booties or hats.

I never made them with either of my children. I did on occasion use hats that came with the store bought outfit.

With my son I hardly used the bibs I bought, it wasn't worth it to make them. With my daughter, she actually did use a lot more bibs.

As for blankets, I make all kinds. I think lacy ones look sweet over a sleeping newborn. That would be daytime, where I could see. For night, it'd be something completely different.

A lot of times I prefer to make a toddler or slightly larger sized blanket, so it 'grows' with the baby and they can have it for years to come rather than just a few months or a year. These have always been big hits.

I found out the hard way people flip out if you don't have a hat on your newborn.

Might be an area thing. I never had that problem and my kids are several years apart and raised in different states. lol

though I've never thought to make it, would be a very lightly stuffed rectangle that could be folded & put in a diaper bag to act as a portable changing pad.

Not a bad idea just keep in mind most diaper bags come with changing pads now. I'd hate to see hard work go to waste. That's not to say they wouldn't use yours and toss the other one. ;)

As a mom of four, now 12 to 23, I vote for the small blankie for baby... something that can be tucked in around the car seat or stroller without dragging along on the ground. I saw a gorgeous pattern (where was it:think ) for a stroller/car seat blanket that actually had two little slits left open so you could feed the seatbelt through... isn't that clever?;) I dare you to kick that blanket off:ohdear kiddo!

When mine were young they had a strong aversion to keeping clothes on, learning in the wee months to kick off the booties and wiggle out of the cap (I think someone mentioned the safety issue of tie cords on caps and I have to agree on that one).

I was gifted a beautiful blankie for my daughter that was stitched up in the style of those bath towels they make with the little triangle on the corner to slip over their head... only it wasn't a towel, it was a lovely crocheted blankie with a 'built-in' hood!

Have fun... I can't wait for grandkids:bheart.... or at 41 it's not too late for one more, is it??:huh:2eek:rofl

As for blankets, I make all kinds. I think lacy ones look sweet over a sleeping newborn. That would be daytime, where I could see. ;)

I see your point: :manyheart delicate blankie with babies' delicate features.

For my son..(12 yrs ago) i made lots of little caps... and sweaters were just lovely... and a small blabket that I could put on him in the car seat! Even in his swing I would put a little blankie on him.

As for my daughter- caps! She has such a small head and none would really stay on- so yes those beanie kind of hats were very practical.. and if i made something like a sunhat I would just whip up a strap afterwards and then I used velcro- the kind you can buy at walley world and cut to your size.

Little socks/booties for when they were just born are great cause their feet are soooo tiny!! and for my daughter i made a bunch of those scratch mitts to keep her face clear of scratches!

My daughter LOVES stuffed animals so one of these i am going to make her some crocheted stuffed animal toys... but that may not be practical for another baby who isn't much into stuffed animals.

the only thing i can think to add is when making bibs, washcloths or towels, i prefer cotton. to me, it just absorbs better.

and tlc's cotton plus makes BEAUTIFUL baby things with a great deal of wear and tear!

my oldest, 11 yrs, loves ponchos, and wraps. for the baby, 21mos, i made sweaters, ponchos, hats (she won't keep them on now) and mittens (thumbsucking babies HATE these). i'm not patient, so i stay away from blankies.

Thanks so much for your input, very helpful:)

So, a blanket with some solid stitch for reg. use, a lacey type for sp. occasion,

little hats/mitts/booties, a couple of bibs, and a little sweater would constitute a nice little present - right? I think I better get to work:lol

I wasn't crocheting when my daughter was little. I remember wishing she had a white cardigan baby sweater. Just something to take the chill off, something that would go with all her outfits. I remember I couldn't find any in the stores. (That was before internet.)Her grandmother made her a good size baby blanket, and that is still my daughter's special treasure.

I wasn't crocheting when my daughter was little. I remember wishing she had a white cardigan baby sweater. Just something to take the chill off, something that would go with all her outfits. I remember I couldn't find any in the stores. (That was before internet.)Her grandmother made her a good size baby blanket, and that is still my daughter's special treasure.

Well, I finally made it to Michaels, and there just happened to be a little booklet with 2 lovely crocheted cardigans, very simple, no frills, nonetheless, cute.

So, I thought of what you said and bought it:)

My DD probably used every blanket I got for her. I got everything from quilts to a baby comforter to lacy afghans. But I live in Northern Michigan where it can be sunny and 80 one minute and 60 and raining the next. She was warm and still is so didn't wear many sweaters. We had a few that were mine. She loved her booties and still loves slippers, she has like 6 pair. lol I agree with the older than 6 months. Storm weighed 8 pounds 1 ounce at birth and at 1 month she weighed 11 pounds. So she was out of her 3-6 months at a month and half and out of the newborn clothes by the end of the week. She had a couple of hats too. I just put socks on her hands to not scratch though. If I had the hand covers would have used them. She was really expressive with her hands. Still is. This is a good thread though as I am pregnant now. lol 11 years apart i think I am crazy.

Lisa

My DD probably used every blanket I got for her. I got everything from quilts to a baby comforter to lacy afghans. But I live in Northern Michigan where it can be sunny and 80 one minute and 60 and raining the next. She was warm and still is so didn't wear many sweaters. We had a few that were mine. She loved her booties and still loves slippers, she has like 6 pair. lol I agree with the older than 6 months. Storm weighed 8 pounds 1 ounce at birth and at 1 month she weighed 11 pounds. So she was out of her 3-6 months at a month and half and out of the newborn clothes by the end of the week. She had a couple of hats too. I just put socks on her hands to not scratch though. If I had the hand covers would have used them. She was really expressive with her hands. Still is. This is a good thread though as I am pregnant now. lol 11 years apart i think I am crazy.

Lisa

Congratulations!:clap

You are not crazy! you are probably busy crocheting for baby:)

I agree this turned out to be a good thread. (My baby is turning 20, it's hard to remember all the litlle details.)

i have 2 grown children and a grand daughter almost 2. i found the most appreciated were blankies that were really soft, in different weights (warmer and colder weather) that could be thrown in the wash.n also sweaters in sport weight that are soft and easy to get on and off and can also be throw in the wash.

hope this helps. have fun :hook

i have 2 grown children and a grand daughter almost 2. i found the most appreciated were blankies that were really soft, in different weights (warmer and colder weather) that could be thrown in the wash.n also sweaters in sport weight that are soft and easy to get on and off and can also be throw in the wash.

hope this helps. have fun :hook

I remember having lots of blankets and LOTS of laundry:lol .

I don't think you can have enough of those.

If you're crazy, I'm insane. :lol

Go back and read my last post. If you can't do the math, I'll help you out there's a bigger difference between my kids than yours. ;)

I had 7 yrs between my two, some ppl thought that was crazy. I really enjoyed them this way. They always got along, and still do:)

Whatever works for you is the right way to do it:)

I found the pattern for the stroller / car seat blanket with the little slits to slide the seat belt through! It's in Stitch & Bitch Happy Hooker! right near the end... :cheer

You all got me thinking though about having a baby #5... :fluffy I mean 'baby' #1 will be 24 in May... but I had two kids in my first marriage, two in my second marriage, and now in my third marriage... is that like a two drink minimum, only a two kid minimum? :2spin I'd better get working on it then, huh???? turned 41 in November.... yeah, I could do this...

There's just too many adorable baby items I want to make and with son preferring an alternative lifestyle, daughter 18 being at university, and the boy 13 and the girl 12, looks like I may have to make my own baby if I want to hear the pitter-patter of little feet any time soon!

I found the pattern for the stroller / car seat blanket with the little slits to slide the seat belt through! It's in Stitch & Bitch Happy Hooker! right near the end... :cheer

You all got me thinking though about having a baby #5... :fluffy I mean 'baby' #1 will be 24 in May... but I had two kids in my first marriage, two in my second marriage, and now in my third marriage... is that like a two drink minimum, only a two kid minimum? :2spin I'd better get working on it then, huh???? turned 41 in November.... yeah, I could do this...

There's just too many adorable baby items I want to make and with son preferring an alternative lifestyle, daughter 18 being at university, and the boy 13 and the girl 12, looks like I may have to make my own baby if I want to hear the pitter-patter of little feet any time soon!

Well, I did not think this thread would have such an effect when I started it...

But at least it will be a good reference for when you start preparing for baby.:) Best of Luck!

Archived