Yarn suggestion for first felting project needed

Tamara

Question

OK - so I'm really itching to try a felting project. I usually avoid wools since I don't like the feel of them against my skin. I'll probably make a purse, or maybe a rug.

Any suggestions for a brand and type of yarn to use for my first felting project?

9 answers to this question

I've only felted one item so far and that's a tote I made with Lion Landscapes. This was rather expensive (but the only wool I could find at the time) and it was wool wrapped in acrylic yarn so that it was almost a "pebble" look when felted. It does look cool though.

I'm currently making another tote with Lion Wool Prints and love it. I don't like the feel of wool usually either, but some of the wool yarn out there is so soft!

Good luck!

My first felting project was with Wool Of the Andes from Knitpicks. At only a 1.79 a skein, I knew I wouldn't feel too bad if I really screwed it up!:D I was pleased enough with the results that I'd buy it again!

My first felting attempt was made with Galway 100% wool and Lion Landscapes. I was a bit nervous mixing two different brands of wool - especially since one was only 50% wool, so I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, but it turned out great! You can see my results here. I will also be posting this to Show and Tell soon, as soon as I come up with a closure for the thing. The project was a wing and a prayer through from start to finish. :lol

Archived