Mother Bear Project

croschet03

I was just curious, has anyone knit or crocheted teddy bears for the Mother Bear Project? They give you a knit or crochet pattern, which ever you prefer, with a name tag for a $3.00 shipping charge to wherever they send these bears to. They go to children who are sick or don't have much.

My husband's cousin is over in Kenya, Africa on the peacecore, she's an HIV/AIDS educator. My mother in law came across this and asked if I would help her make some bears so we can send them to Mother Bear Project, which in turn will send them to our cousin over in Africa. (Mother Bear Project didn't have a contact to send bears to in Kenya). I am very excited about this project.

Anyone heard of it?

Val

• 7 months later...

When I was at the LA County Fair on Wednesday, I saw that they are gathering these bears AND sponsoring a contest for the cutest one received. Now I am NOT interested in winning the prize... I just love this concept. I purchased a pattern immediately and have my bear half done. :)

Such a worthwhile cause... and have you been to their site and seen the pictures of the kids with their new teddy bears???

:yes Go look. NOW! http://www.motherbearproject.org

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I saw some of the bears made up on Ravelry and was really inspired. I ordered the crochet pattern a couple of weeks ago and have a bear started.

On Ravelry, a crocheter there tells how she made tweaks to the pattern so she could crochet it in the round. If you browse the pics of the crochet mother bears at Ravelry, her changes are included with her pics.

This looks like a fun project.

• 4 months later...

Thanks Esther, I ordered mine a couple days ago, but no email yet. I will give it a few more days then email again. I live in Illinois so it will take longer for me to get mine. I noticed on Ravelry if you knit you can get an instant download, but not the crochet one. Wonder why? Oh well I just can't wait to get mine so I can start. Won't be very many maybe two to three a month.

Can you tell me, do you knit this pattern and then fold it in half and sew it together? I think I aquired this pattern with a bunch of supplies. If so I would really like to make some. like you all have said it would be a great stash buster.

Archived