Blocking Board?

PBLKNP

Question

I had a question about blocking. I finally have a project that's definitely going to need blocking. I was considering buying one of those blocking boards, but they seem awfully expensive. Are there any low-cost alternatives? I'm going to be blocking placemats, so the board should be a good size...PAM

9 answers to this question

Go to Menards or Home Depot and buy sheet wall insulation. It comes im pink sheets and is made of some kind of foam. It also comes in different thickness. It works very well and you can cut it any size you need.

You can also get a large piece of cardboard and mark your measurements on it. The measurements are to make sure that your blocked piece square and the proper size. Cover it with plastic (I used kitchen plastic wrap and tape), then using rust-proof pins, pin the piece to the plastic covered board.

You can also buy foam-core poster board at most craft shops or frame shops, and do the same.

Since I do not do alot of items that need blocking I do this. However if you were really interested in doing alot in thread or items that need blocking, I would look at more permanent solutions.

I use foam poster board (the poster board with styrofoam in the center) I usually find it at Dollar Tree stores for $1.00 per sheet and buy 3-4 sheets at the time. I cover it with contact paper to make it last longer. It's cheap and works well....by buying several at the time I always have a backup...then when the board starts to loose it's shape after about 2 dozen uses...I don't feel guilty about throwing away...since the investment was nominal. Works for me!

I use foam poster board (the poster board with styrofoam in the center) I usually find it at Dollar Tree stores for $1.00 per sheet and buy 3-4 sheets at the time. I cover it with contact paper to make it last longer. It's cheap and works well....by buying several at the time I always have a backup...then when the board starts to loose it's shape after about 2 dozen uses...I don't feel guilty about throwing away...since the investment was nominal. Works for me!

Good idea! :hook

I've recently started using a giant piece of cardboard a friend gave me. (He used to drive a truck for a living, and he said something about it being used in the truck?) Anyway, it's 4 feet by 8 feet, but it's folded in half so it's 4' by 4'. I cover the sections I"m using with packing tape so I don't have deal with cling wrap. Right now I've got a couple of blocking patterns on there that I faux-laminated with packing tape and then attached to the board with even more packing tape.

Only drawback is it's a little tough to get the round-headed pins I've always used before into this cardboard without them bending, so I'm going to have to pick up some t-pins (I think they'll work a lot better).

Photo (shows about half of it): http://daisywreath.net/crochet/img/blockingboard.jpg

My blocking boards are made from squares of Gyprock - which I think you call dry wall or rock wall?? It's a wall and ceiling lining made from plaster covered both sides with a paper. It comes in large sheets - but if you know anyone who is building, extending or renovating, ask for their offcuts.

On mine, I've used a marker pen to draw circles of varying sizes, vertical and horizontal centres and diagonals. Then covered the whole thing with clear adhesive book covering. I think marking the base is worth doing, whatever base you are going to use - you can get straight lines straight and circles which are circular.

There is another sheeting product available in Oz which makes great notice boards - it is called Caneite here and is a sideline from the sugar cane industry. It is used as a insulating wall/ceiling lining and is available here in hardware stores in half & quarter sheets for notice boards. Pins go in easily but their removal tends to take out bits of the product so it definitely needs covering.

Both products can be cut with a knife.

Archived