My first fulled project!

ShannonCC

This was so much fun! :clap It was like magic! This big, floppy thing went into the washer and came out a stiff, adorably fuzzy little thing! Of course then my kids fought over who gets it (uh, who said it was for you two? :lol ) So now I have to make another one. Like I'm complaining ;) I already went out and bought green (my son's favorite color) and white wool to make the new one :hook

I followed Deneen's instructions (that I found on this board I think?). The pink I found in my Grandma's stash. The label said to hand wash in cold water and carefully dry flat and I said hmmmm, sounds like it will work. The green was some wool embroidery floss I had leftover from a project a decade ago.

Ok, this is my first time using photobucket and following the instructions on crochetville, so let's see if this works.

th_afterinside.jpg

th_after.jpg

th_before.jpg

The bottom is the "before" pic :D

It came out great! Fulling is such a fun project, isn't it? I like your integrated handles, making it unnecesary to add a strap. How cute!:clap

About making it bigger, I'm not great at patterns but I think it would be easy enough. There's a distinct bottom to the bag. Once you finish the bottom, you start crocheting the sides. I'd think you could just keep going with the bottom until it was as big as you want and *then* start working up the sides. Of course all the numbers would be off when you got to the handles but you'd just do the math and figure out where to put them at that point (or do what I did - lose count with two wild kids running around and just eyeball it :lol ).

(or do what I did - lose count with two wild kids running around and just eyeball it :lol ).

HEHE, im an eyeballer as well! I went ahead and started this about half an hour ago, and I get what you are saying, but I have no idea how much its going to shrink when I felt it as I have never felted before. I added 3 rows to the bottom, maby that will get it!

there ws a question posted on her blog about makeing it bigger, could youjust double all of the stitches to make it twice as big? I think I figured out what to do with my wool from the wool swap!:hook

Ack! You can't just double the stitches (LOL). You would have to do an increase per round on the bottom and work from there.

Here is the link for the size change

http://deneens.blogspot.com/2005/11/mondays-marvelous-monster-bag-and.html

This is a great pattern to have fun with. I've done one with two strands of yarn, enlarged to the larger size, and now am doing one with bulky weight yarn and a stripe of 2 strands worsted weight. I eyeball the handle and on the two strand one I did a 'Lucy style' handle...one longer than the other to slip thru and become a shoulder strap. Pics are on my blog.

Love the colors... Your first project came out great.

I got some wool at AC Moore's 25% off yarn event this past Saturday and plan on making a bag as well. I didn't want to make handles (I think I'd rather have leather handles put on if it comes out as well as yours)... however, I do like the idea of the handles on your bag.

I made a second one that turned out even better :cheer It's green and white striped and wow, when you full something the stripes blend together so cool! Plus, this time I actually followed the directions :blush and used the right size hook so this one is bigger. I hope my daughter doesn't notice hers is smaller than her little brother's.

I took pictures but don't know how to get them on the computer so I have to call dh at work and have him walk me through it and then I'll give it it's own thread :D

Yeah, this is addicting :lol I really need to get back to my other projects. Thank goodness I don't have a lot of wool! (I had to go to Michael's to buy my son his green :manyheart )

Hey Kathy, where did ya get that pattern, I really like that bag!

and daneen, I increased the extra rounds like this... the bottom rounds increased by adding a stitch between each (2 hdc in same stitch) stitch, so I think the last pattern round was hdc in 5 st , so the extra 2 rounds I hdc'd in 6 and then 7 before I 2 hdc'd in same stitch. Will that work?as I am going up the sides I notice that this thing is really floppy, is it posed to be like that? I have never felted so I dont know what Im doing, lol

Ack! You can't just double the stitches (LOL). You would have to do an increase per round on the bottom and work from there.

Here is the link for the size change

http://deneens.blogspot.com/2005/11/mondays-marvelous-monster-bag-and.html

I've made bigger ones by doing the round increases until I have a circle I like and then just working from there. I have to do the math to get the handles right because I'm no good at eyeballing it at that point. But it's such a great felting pattern. It always turns out. (Thanks to Deneen's pattern, I had some lovely Christmas presents to give this year.)

I did one this week without handles and crocheted a long cord (2 sets of half double crochets) which I felted. Fun to play with this idea.

I think the next one I do I will actually do like Deneen's original tote but I'm going to use wool along with some fun fur -- probably pink -- as a Valentine's Day present for my daughter. The fun fur won't felt but the wool will and the effect is really quite nice. I've seen other felted bags with the fun fur and it is really pretty.

Also, I really want to do one with Noro Kureyon self-striping yarn.

:hook

The 'lucy' handle is snagged from a Lion Brand pattern on their website and a purse I saw. Just make one handle longer (lots longer) than the other and slip it under the short one as a closing to the bag. Then you can use the bag as a shoulder bag from the long handle. As for the bag itself, just play with Deneen's pattern. I just did one with a stripe of another yarn in it for interst, and made a drawstring closing as well as a lucy handle. Now I'm doing one larger in solid black for a friend and a coworker is doing one in brown and cream colors. My first ones were in varigated yarn and are shown at the beginning of my blog. The colorway worked up nicely; so I think self striping yarn would be amazing.

:clap Love the bag and all the ideas! I don't know when I am ever going to have time to work on all the great ideas I find here! :manyheartI work third and I should be sleeping right now (but first have to go out and feed my goats!) I literally have to force myself to get off of this site every morning! Anyway...now I can't wait to start one of these felting projects!

Theresa

Archived