Working with double strands

abud24

Question

Is there a secret to working with two strands of yarn that I don't know about? I'm trying to make Deneen's baby blanket from the CAL (not joining until I get going) and I am having a really hard time working with two strands of yarn. I'm working with Red Heart sport in blue and white and have tried various hook sizes.

Any suggestions?

13 answers to this question

The only thing i find is ocaisionally you tend to drop one of the strands as you are working. So i tend to check fairly regularly that i haven't done that and to pull it out and redo it if thats happened. Also i tend to move my hook just a little further out than i would normally to try and stop myself from doing this almost exagerating the normal hook movement. Otherwise anything done with 2 strands works up so quickly i wonder why i don't do it more often. I hope that helps.

I never have a problem, but you could wind both yarns into one ball and then work from there, I have done that. I work alot with a regular ww and a thin carrier strand to add color and rarely have any "slippage". Try winding it up as one, it may help.

I rarely have any trouble either, it just takes practice. I can usually tell if I drop a strand right away so I don't have to frog back.

Just keep trying, I'm sure you'll get it right :cheer

I'm also making this blanket and it's working up so fast and colorful that I think I'll use the pattern more often :yay

It just takes a little getting used to. I'm doing the same CAL and working from both ends of the same skein...which is a little more annoying but definately doable.

Thanks for your help and words of experience. I think I just need some practice, and a little encouragement.:hook

One other suggestion I would have is to make sure you are using the right hook. If you are using too small of a hook, it's very easy to miss a strand (dropping it) because you are pulling it too tight. If the hook is too big, the the stitches will be too loose and look funny. The stitches should look right and lay down as if you are working with one strand. Your left hand (if you're a righty) does a lot of work to control how much tension on the two strands. Try to get the skeins lined up so that they are pulling out the same way...the same speed. Keep trying....it does take practice. I've used 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 strands to work on many projects. It's fun and easy, but can take some getting used to.:manyheart:hook:)

Is there a secret to working with two strands of yarn that I don't know about? I'm trying to make Deneen's baby blanket from the CAL (not joining until I get going) and I am having a really hard time working with two strands of yarn. I'm working with Red Heart sport in blue and white and have tried various hook sizes.

Any suggestions?

Two strands sport = 1 strand worsted. However, I would suggest going up a hook size from whatever you normally use anyway to help you keep the yarns together on the hook. Also depends on the look and feel you want. Do you want it to be tight or loosely draped?

When I work with double strands of worsted I will usually use N or P though occasionally will use my L or M. For a loose drape, you could use the L with two strands sport.

I like a Boye rounded hook too. That might make a difference from the inline Bates. Don't know if it would be to the good or the bad. *grin*

All just my opinion, of course. You should do whatever gives you the look you want.

Another thing about working with two skeins. I sit one on either side of me, usually in a plastic bag or container of some sort to make it easier to move them from side to side when I twist them. I have also done as was suggested and rolled the two colors together into one ball.

One caution about double strands - if you decide you don't like it and you want to rip back, put on your patience cap as it's a pain.

I never have a problem, but you could wind both yarns into one ball and then work from there, I have done that. I work alot with a regular ww and a thin carrier strand to add color and rarely have any "slippage". Try winding it up as one, it may help.

When I first got my ball winder I wound several of my thin cone yarns togheter into balls. I really liked the color combinations, but when I tryed knitting with them (this was before I started crochet) the yarns would be used unevenly and every few rows I would get a slack of several inches in one yarn (but not the other). The slack got progressively worse - a few inches, 6 inches, a foot - till I had to cut the excess yarn and tie the ends frequently. The yarns were different thicknesses. But yet I hear of people doing this all the time, and there is someone on here who posts really beautiful pictures of yarn she has combined together and it appears to be wound together rather than plied together on a wheel. Am I the only one who has a problem with this? Am I doing something wrong? I love working with two or three strands of yarn together. I would love to be able to just wind my yarns together and work from only one ball since I do most of my crochet on the go.

I use the yarn right from the pull skein, keep the skeins side-by-side in a plastic bag, and if/when the two strands get crossed over as they will do, just move the skeins around to straighten them out.

Archived