Help me find the best hook for me!

donnalynn2

Ok, well I believe I am allergic to the nickel in the aluminum hooks. After several suggestions, I have learned the longer I work with alum hooks, the more my hand sweats and the more aggrevated it gets. If I use a plastic one, I have no problems at all.

Here in lies the problem. I cannot find a nice, sturdy plastic hook smaller than a J. I absolutely love the Sparkle Hooks from Jo-Anns but they don't make them smaller than a J (I checked). I went through all the hooks at both my Jo-Anns and Michaels last night and every plastic hook was really flimsy. There was a set of Crystalites but those, too were very flimsy.

Should I try for a wooden hook or something else? I convinced my DH that I need to invest in a nice set of hooks that won't bother my hands.

Any suggestions or websites where I can find the perfect hook would be appreciated!

Thank you! :hook

You might want to try one wooden hook before you buy a whole set, just to see if you like them. I found a lys that sells them individually and bought two, a G and an H. Now I do most of my crocheting with them. They do not slip in your hands like the aluminum ones do. I have never tried plastic but I would bet if your hands sweat any they too would eventually slide. Happy hunting!!:hook

I love my Brittany Black Walnut crochet hooks. They are wood, and they no longer make them in black walnut anymore. They do however make them in birch though.I have tried the bamboo ones, but I feel those are too flimsy. Alot of people like these hooks posted at this website

http://www.turn-of-the-century.com/hooks.htm. I haven't had the luxury of purchasing them from here as of yet.

I snap Crystallites and other plastic hooks like nobody's business, sad to say, and I wasn't as enamoured of the Brittany birch hooks as some folks are, but I LOVE my Turn of the Century hooks. Bill's fabulous to deal with, too; can't recommend him too highly. I don't have a Jimbo hook yet, but I've been drooling over his and think they'd probably give my ToTCs a run for their money in 'favorite hook' department!

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I may try the Turn of the Century hooks. Maybe I'll just get one and see how it works before I get a whole set.

Thanks for all the suggestions! :hook

Don't know if you have found nice sturdy hooks yet or not, but I had a wild brainstorm just now. What about using polymer clay or eraser clay to cover the part of the hook that would rest in your hand. It would not need to be that thick, but should provide enough insulation between the metal and your hand.

Good luck.

i'm totally hooked on the clover soft touch handle hooks. ever since i found out about them i been using them. (I'm pretty young to have carpal tunnel, but they help) Also, i have a better grip on them than regular crochet hooks.

They cost a little more, but thats why i used a michaels coupon every paycheck and buy one.

Boy am I glad I stumbled onto this site! I couldn't for the life of me figure out why my contact dermatitis was suddently acting up......now I know since reading donnalynn's post....it's the metal in my hooks! I had to quit my career as a full time designer/florist because my hands couldn't take it anymore. For the past two years, I've had to be very careful about what I touched or handled......I am just now able to peel potatoes and onions with little problem. All of the suggestions are great...I can't wait to check out the websites, I like the clay suggestion too. Thanks everyone!

I like my Clover wooden hooks for 'most' of my crochet, but there are some things I prefer my plastic hooks for, it kind of depends what I'm working on. I don't use metal at all, they are too heavy, and it was only when I found plastic, then wood, that I began to crochet again after several hand operations, cause the metal ones irritated where I had a tendon cyst removed and tendon split at the base of my right thumb.

how about an acrylic dip on your hooks?

That's an interesting idea! How would I go about doing that???

The clay idea is cool too... I may have to really think about that!

P.S. I bought a set of the Susan Bates set from Jo-Anns to try as someone suggested, but doggone if they aren't extremely flimsy. Every single stitch the hook bent to some degree. I have only broken one plastic hook ever (and that's because I was showing my DH just how strong it was! :eek)

Archived