Ball Winders

yarnlover66

I use the one from Royal - ummm... this one. It works wonders, I love it to pieces. I bought mine on eBay, so be sure to shop around. Prices are very different depending on where you look.

I have the same one as well, and just love it!! Sure makes working with hank yarn much more enjoyable...I hate winding balls by hand! I got mine from JoAnn with a 50% off code they sent me, so it was about $30 with shipping and all! I also just ordered and received my yarn swift from Paradise Fibers. I got the small swift (metal), and it is same brand as the ones they sell at my LYS for $56! Paradise yarns has them for $36 which is the best price I have found! Their online store set-up is a little primative compared to the usual, but their service is great! I ordered this past Sunday and received it today! I have lots of wool just waiting to be wound off - I like this swift because it has a hand crank on the top so you can easily wind wool from a pull skein into a hank for dying (think Fisherman's Wool). I have one skein that needs to be wound into a hank and another I wound by hand just waiting for to be dyed! The swift looks a little "jicky" in pictures, but my LYS has two - behind the counter and in the classroom for people to use to wind their own hanks. It gets alot of use and abuse and has held up well!

Laurie:hook

Oh no. :eek When I click on that link it says it is discontinued. I hope that there are others out there to choose from. Thank you for your feedback. I hate winding my yarn into balls by hand also.

I unfortunately do not have a ball winder, but I do have a "gadget" that hubby built for me that I can measure the yarn and twist the skein so it can be stored easier. He used an old 2x4 and added dowel rods 1 yard apart. So I can wind the yarn around and know how much I have. Here is the website where I got the idea. http://www.neauveau.com/wrapaskein.html

Oh no. :eek When I click on that link it says it is discontinued. I hope that there are others out there to choose from. Thank you for your feedback. I hate winding my yarn into balls by hand also.

Definitely search around. I just pulled that link because it was the same that I have, I should have paid attention to whether they still carried it or not. They're pretty easy to find online with a simple Google search and you should be able to find a good or better price too.

I love mine. My hubby got it at the LYS one day, so I don't know what he paid for it, although I know he was shocked (dismayed?) to see the prices on eBay, so I don't think it was cheap. ;)

With so many people playing with yarn in the house we used to always have leftover bits of skeins straggling about. But not anymore! My kids love winding yarn and if I don't watch out they will even wind new pull skeins just for the fun of it! :eek:haha

what is LYS?

Twisting the yarn--does that work well when you get ready to crochet from that method? I've seen yarn sold that way, but never have bought it or used it.

I just ordered one off of Joann.com with a 50% off coupon. They had two listed but one is sold out. I hope the 2nd one is as good as the first one they show. The first one has a ton of wonderful reviews. The one I ordered has 2 good reviews. I'll let you know. Does anyone own this one? It's the one I just ordered. I called 3 crafting places today and none of them carry yarn ball winders. I guess I had to get it on-line. I have so much leftover stuff that really needs to be wound up or it will turn into a huge mess.

Does anyone own this one?

http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=53007&PRODID=137115&source=search

I have one like you got and it works just fine. I lucked out and found mine at the thrift shop for $ 2.00. Sure have never regretted that buy.

I have even used it to frog a piece or two. I know getting lazy in my old age. But I had to wind onto a new ball any way and it did it slicker than ( well I wont say what it's slicker than.) Just suffice it worked well. Fastest frogging I ever did.

Twisting the yarn--does that work well when you get ready to crochet from that method? I've seen yarn sold that way, but never have bought it or used it.

Working from a hank - which is what yarn in that form is called - is practically impossible. If you wind your yarn into a hank, which is helpful for dyeing or measuring, you'll need to rewind it into a ball before you try to work with it.

Both a ball winder and a swift are helpful tools for unwinding hanks.

HTH!!

Has anyone got one of the kind that have a sort of perforated cylinder next to the cone part where you wind your yarn? I can't work out how to thread it up at all, LOL

Archived