What is a Yarn Winder?

It's a life saver, lol!!

I've been wanting one for so so long - I do all my ball winding by hand and it can be really tedious, especially if you're working from hanks or cones... or re-winding skeins... or basically just winding anything into center-pull balls.

They run about $40, and you clamp 'em on a table, hook your yarn in and wind away. Soon you'll have a perfectly shaped little center pull ball forming. They can get up to a few ounces in size.

If you wind a lot of balls, they're totally worht the cash. If not, you'd probably start if you got one.

Natalie have you been to yard sales or second hand shops and sometimes you can find them with old knitting machines. Thats how i bought mine and i never paid more than $2 for them i have three as i was going to give them to new spinners i was teaching.I will weigh one and if its not to heavy i will send it to you.

This is a picture of mine in use. It is a life saver and makes storing partial skeins doable, instead of a mess of rolled balls that never stack.

WINDER IN USE:

th_winder001.jpg

BEFORE . . . . . . . . . . . . .AFTER

th_ebayfromdad3.jpg th_2-days001.jpg

I use kitchen plastic wrap to wrap around my rolled "cakes" to keep the ends from coming loose. I can also put the skein wrapper under the plastic wrap to keep it easily with the yarn.

it is proof that God loves us! I got one for Christmas and have been winding away since! It makes the yarn a more uniform shape and you are able to hide.. I mean store more yarn in your containers. LOVE MINE!!!:clap

Natalie have you been to yard sales or second hand shops and sometimes you can find them with old knitting machines. Thats how i bought mine and i never paid more than $2 for them i have three as i was going to give them to new spinners i was teaching.I will weigh one and if its not to heavy i will send it to you.

OMG, Jacqui, I would love you for-e-ver. :manyheart Seriously. Just let me know what it costs, whatever - I'd be more than happy be pay ya back, especially since Im sure it'll be cheaper than $40! Scouting garage sales is a great idea, but I never seem to have much luck there in the fiber department, not to mention it's the middle of winter here. :D Y'know - I think you're my yarn swap partner, too - maybe send it all in one package? :devil

it is proof that God loves us! I got one for Christmas and have been winding away since! It makes the yarn a more uniform shape and you are able to hide.. I mean store more yarn in your containers. LOVE MINE!!!:clap

I have always kinda wanted a ball winder, and I didn't even realize that you can store more yarn that way, instead of in skeins. Now, I have to get one!

I won't tell DH why I got it. :lol

I learn so much on this forum.:manyheart

Thanks for the info.:yay

Linda:manyheart

Well scout around second hand stores and garage sales and markets and you won't have to pay the exorbitant prices charged for new. I resent that they charge so much for something that should never be more than 15 to 20 at the most brand new. Good luck ok.

I think I need one, too.

I try to work from the center pull skeins, but when I get towards the end, I always have a big mess. Luckily my fiance is a doll about helping me untangle them. Also - if its easier to store yarn, it would be great - I have 2 cabinets a chair and a large box full of yarn. How did this happen to me???? I've only been crocheting for a bit more than a year!!

My favorite perk of ball winders is that by winding my yarn before I begin a project, I find out if there's a place where it's been cut and knotted (darn pet peeve of mine). That way I'm not 3/4 of the way through a long row when I find one and have to frog back to get it at the end.

Check eBay too, for yarn winders. I bought mine there for $28 + shipping and even still it was less than the $40 at the stores. I haven't looked recently but if you're having a problem finding them give them a shot.

It's a life saver, lol!!

That's exactly what I thought when I read the title to the thread. :U

From SKJMaurice -- My favorite perk of ball winders is that by winding my yarn before I begin a project, I find out if there's a place where it's been cut and knotted (darn pet peeve of mine). That way I'm not 3/4 of the way through a long row when I find one and have to frog back to get it at the end. Right there, this gizmo is worth the $$.

One of my not-so-pleasant childhood memories is being forced to be my mom's yarn holder when she wound skeins into balls for her knitting projects. It seemed like each skein took hours. My arms would ache afterward. (This might be part of why I don't like to knit. :lol :lol )

I'm ordering mine from Herrschners today. If you order this month and it is over $25, then shipping is free. So that's what I am doing. I can't wait until it comes. :cheer

Linda:cheer

Archived