My blocking table

Katchkan

Just thought I would share this with you as I do like how it works. For years I have simply used pieces of cardboard to block my doilies on. But I am doing so much more that needs to be blocked that I have been looking for an alternative. I know you can make your own and I was about ready to do that when we happened to be in Joanns for their big super sale. I saw the table topper for their cutting/sewing table. It had one inch grids on the entire surface and two corners had the cross sections for doing rnd work. I figured I would just get that and mount it own a piece of plywood and make my own. Its waterproof, I can iron on it. Well Dh looked at me and asked if I wanted the table as it would be easier to use as it folds up and rolls away to be stored in a closet someplace. It was all half off so it wasn't to bad. Nice guy that he is he got me the set up for Christmas.

This morning I tried it out and how nice. It is a great height to work at and I blocked my doily in next to no time. I did put a piece of foam board under the pad to stick my pins into. I am working on making a full size felted pad that will be thick enough to pin into, But that may take me a few days. Then I can do large and small sizes it wont matter.

Doilietable.jpg

S_Doilytable.jpg

S_Doilieblockingtable.jpg

What an absolutely fantastic idea. Once we move I want to make one. I never thought of this idea for doilies. I used to have one for when I knitted and blocked my projects from the knitting machines. It is a good idea to back it with foam so as to use the pins.

As always I am amazed at your talents for your doilies. Keep up the good work.

June

I don't have much space and that is a great idea to do...Right now I use the largest syrofoam squares and cover them in the release foil with the release side out so the work doesn't stick to the styrofoam. and when it goes bad I get another one as I have limited space and with our cats and dogs I have to get a room for that to dry in but it will be soon as we will finish the room over the garage so I will keep your idea in mind... I may ask later how it is holding up when I finally can have a bigger blocking board...

Archived