What Do You Do With Scraps of Yarn?

I'm new to crocheting and I now am starting to gain scraps of yarn from projects that I have finished with yarn left over. What do you do with your scraps and how much yarn is usually needed?

I make Scrap Happy Scarves and UBW Hats. I use the same method of joining the scraps together on the hat as I do on the scarf.

I'm new to crocheting and I now am starting to gain scraps of yarn from projects that I have finished with yarn left over. What do you do with your scraps and how much yarn is usually needed?

I make scrap afghans from my scrap yarn. I have made probably 6 or 7 of them now. Some are just granny squares with the scrap colors in the middle and either black or white for the edging. I have made several scrap afghans that are hexagons. Those turned out really pretty!

Lynn

I make circles of hope or granny squares and donate them to the women's shelter here. An afghan with a lot different colors for the circles of hope and joined in either a bold color or an off white is amazing. I am putting one together right now with the circles of hope that were donated from a few people from here at crochetville. I can't wait to finish so I can post my pic!!!

Christine,

What a wonderful thing to do! How do you make the circle of hope? I would like to do that. I have made a few large squares for homeless pets but I have not heard of the circle of hope afghans.

Lynn

Hi, Lynn,

A circle of hope is just the first round of a granny square. Here is the link on how to put them together, and if you need a pattern for the square the link is there also. Hope you have fun, because they are beautiful when you are done.

You know, I also tried one with the same color squares instead of a whole bunch, it was truly stunning. So either way, it looks great.

Good luck!

http://www.quilt.com/Crochet/GrannysDaughter/AssembleMotifs.html

Christine,

What a wonderful thing to do! How do you make the circle of hope? I would like to do that. I have made a few large squares for homeless pets but I have not heard of the circle of hope afghans.

Lynn

What are mile a minute scrap ghans? Do you have any pics? I would love to maybe send some down there!

I make mile a minute scrap gahns to take to Mexico. The women love the bright and colorful afgahns they make. I am in the process of stitching one together.

Thank you Christine. What a wonderful project! I ahve bookmarked the site and plan to contribute.

Lynn

I'm making this freeform thingie from scarps, I'm getting rid of a ton of them.

evenbiggerscrumble2gg.jpg

This is also made from scraps. As you can see, I didn't get rid of all of them. ;)

purse46ea.jpg

Lol,I BUY other people's scraps(yardsales,thrift shops,etc).

I have many patterns I use that I know how much each round/row takes.Using a new skein,I measure out in 5yd increments as I work.I then write it down so I can make the best use of my scraps.

I use scraps for charity lapghans,flower pins for hat,hats.

Hmm...I'm in mid-coffee so I'm probably forgetting a bunch of things LOL

Cotton scraps: coasters, dishcloths, potholders (yes! the dread potholder! :lol multicolored usually for scrap ones since they take more yarn than dishcloths)

Other yarns: throw rugs (this pattern: Scrap Yarn Rug-PDF file is fantastic for using up scraps--you need a bunch of a neutral color but then each of the blocks only uses a small amount of the second color. Here's one I made-- http://daisywreath.net/gallery/d/135-2/scrapyarnrug.jpg -- though it's slightly wobbly around the edges because some of my worsted weight scraps were heavier than others), squares, cat toys (I've made one mouse from a pattern, but any small toy stuffed with yarn scraps and catnip or valerian goes over well, too), striped scarves if you have scraps that coordinate well

I know I have a ton of other things I do with scraps but can't remember offhand :)

I do not have any photos but I do know I got the patterns by doing a search in the serch for bar and got several. They make up really fast I love the colors and so do the people in the village we build for!! When I finish the one I am working on "Issabella's"(the lady who wanted one so bad and I did not have any left) I will post it to my blog but that wont be until after christmas.

What are mile a minute scrap ghans? Do you have any pics? I would love to maybe send some down there!

:yay I took alot of my scraps and made multicolored ponchos for my girls, really turned out neat (there is a pic on my blog page if you wanna check out) Then for the smaller pieces of scrap yarn I made cell phone holders and used old buttons for the closure(don't know where the pics of those are, but will find them). This one time my mother's friend who saved all her scraps gave them to my mom before she died of cancer and mom asked me to make her something to remember her by and I made one big granny square to fit a queen size bed. It really turned out neat and my mom thinks of her friend every time she looks at the blanket.

Here is a cute pattern----simular to mile a minute,

but easier: http://www.******/crochet/cudafg.html

It is called "Crocheted Cuddly Kittens"

Mile A Minute are just done in strips, and then stitched together.

Here are some examples:

MILE A MINUTE STRIPS:

Stacked Hearts

Victorian Fans

Shells & V's

Open Fans

The Classic Strip and Variations

Stacked Christmas Trees

Hope this helped.

Archived