2024 What's On Your Hook? Share your WIPs.

He better hope I do not see this on his wall.  It is to hug him when it is cold. It is a gift from the heart to help heal his hart from the loss of his Dad.

• Like 2

@NCcountrygal.

I've done 4 baskets and they look OK.  They are on the bathroom shelf holding little things.  Thanks for remembering me and my baskets!  I am now looking over Totoro patterns.  Kind of persnickety work.  The nice, authentic-looking patterns you have to pay for. 

I am just aghast when I see the photos of the wreckage from the storm.  We donated to Americares - my son's idea after seeing photos of  Asheville. (He's more on the ball than I am...) What are all those homeless people going to do.  Is it true that your federal govt is not doing anything?  I find that hard to believe.   

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Horsy said:

@NCcountrygal.

I am just aghast when I see the photos of the wreckage from the storm.  We donated to Americares - my son's idea after seeing photos of  Asheville. (He's more on the ball than I am...) What are all those homeless people going to do.  Is it true that your federal govt is not doing anything?  I find that hard to believe.   

I can’t verify everything I’m reading or seeing. I do know the private sector, communities and churches are workhorses in getting assistance to those in need. Private pilots/planes working around the clock. 

Still waiting on confirmation of info from Chimney Rock. If true is deeply concerning. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NCcountrygal said:

I can’t verify everything I’m reading or seeing. I do know the private sector, communities and churches are workhorses in getting assistance to those in need. Private pilots/planes working around the clock. 

Still waiting on confirmation of info from Chimney Rock. If true is deeply concerning. 

I just saw that the Trump campaign gofundme has given an initial donation to Samaritan's Purse and Water Mission.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

I just saw that the Trump campaign gofundme has given an initial donation to Samaritan's Purse and Water Mission.

Yes. The funds are really helping!  I saw an updated video by Becky and they (SP) are now in Mtn City. She said many homes damaged or totally destroyed. The shelter is getting fuller. 
Samaritans Purse in so many of the hardest impacted areas!  I’ve been hearing so much praise. 

3 hours ago, Horsy said:

@NCcountrygal.  Many thanks for the link to that article from Carolina Journal.  That was good to read. 

I heard somebody from WNC reported FEMA taking supplies (they’ll distribute) and donated money…for fema…folks told them

he-!! No. The money stays local as intended for the people. 

• Haha 1

folks told them

Personal, private, voluntary (often Christian) enterprise is the way to go in this day and age.  

1 hour ago, Horsy said:

folks told them

Personal, private, voluntary (often Christian) enterprise is the way to go in this day and age.  

I agree. Too many people just expect that the government will take care of them and don't think about the red tape involved, whether they even qualify, if there's money for it, or where the money will come from. 

• Like 1

The problem is that some people put in for money that they do not deserve.  Bogus claims, that ruin it for everyone else.  I have seen it to many times down here, when a hurricane goes by.  I had a neighbor put in for the food that was in the freezer when we lost power last time.  THAT is not a hardship, that money could of been used where it was needed.

Sorry, working along on my Afghan for my son.  it is moving right along.

I will have a picture soon.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 10/4/2024 at 4:43 PM, Horsy said:

folks told them

Sad but very true. Just read about the water filtration SP is setting up. Wow. Will be a tremendous help. 
https://www.samaritanspurse.org/article/water-filtration-systems-deployed-to-the-asheville-area/

Our neighbor has family in WNC. He borrowed my son’s long trailer and took supplies. He got back yesterday. Helped shovel mud out of the house and other chores. The chimney is damaged. The wall outlets are full of mud. Power had been restored before he left, but they are afraid to turn it on as it might trigger a fire. The house structure is intact. Today his parents told him that their insurance will pay nothing. I can’t remember the term they used to deny the claim. His Uncle whose place sustained much greater damage was told the $750 govt money needs to be added to his taxable income. This isn’t cash. A check that will be sent? Some have said that might be 10-30 days. Can you imagine!

eta only 1-2% have flood insurance. 

Edited by NCcountrygal
Add info
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

I agree. Too many people just expect that the government will take care of them and don't think about the red tape involved, whether they even qualify, if there's money for it, or where the money will come from. 

Son said he just read local small town sheriffs have told folks not to turn over supplies to F E M A. Bring it to town district centers and they’ll protect… something like that… been a long day. 
Tug o war going on. National guard sent home yesterday. Yesterday Ft Bragg-liberty was still packing stuff to take with them. Not sure when they are suppose to go and what exactly their mission will be

Lesson: be prepared don’t wait for the govt to help or rescue you. 
peeps are still waiting from 2016 hurricane assist that hasn’t been fulfilled. 

Edited by NCcountrygal
Add info
  • Like 1

Still working on my c2c blanket on and off. I decided that my autumn c2c blanket will be sent to Mountain City, TN and the 4 cable sweaters and some other items once I confirm the post office can deliver to the church. 

• Like 1

I heard tonight that FEMA has run out of money.  Their budget has been cut, to be used the for those coming over the border.  They should be ashamed ot themselves.  Oh well, no politics here.  Just what I heard and read.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

I heard tonight that FEMA has run out of money.  Their budget has been cut, to be used the for those coming over the border.  They should be ashamed ot themselves.  Oh well, no politics here.  Just what I heard and read.

Sad but true. 
Nancy from ShesgotYarn- part of the Boggy Blanket brigade had video of a place in Stein… block on recalling name. Their families vacation dwelling was standing but so much gone and destroyed. At least Gov DeSantis has handled FL situation very well. (And sent help to NC days back) The popular restaurant I read is being provided a food truck till it’s rebuilt. Nancy said she didn’t know if the owner will build back. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just to add MaryJo. I think there will be a session to vote on more money for F E M A or disaster relief. I was talking to my younger son this AM that group needs a rehaul. Hire Veterans that want that task that are the ongoing rescue heroes!

eta the NC General Assembly is meeting Wednesday not DC. 

Edited by NCcountrygal
Clarify
  • Like 2

Love the doilies.  Yeah on the football ans making dishcloths.

I am further along on my afghan and thought I would show it to you.  The red on top is the beginning of the Phillies part and the orange part to the left is the beginning of the Flyers.  Have to put it down for a couple of days, but here it is.  It is on my queen sizze bed.

20241006_095409 Graph 2.jpg

• Like 4