Boxing Day 2024 - share any charity!

babypoohsmom

14 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

Hi everyone. Sorry I have been AWOL, but I got COVID. The day after our fundraiser event I was tired and by Tuesday was sick. Thought it was a sinus infection and then maybe strep throat. Finally Thursday morning I decided I better test. So I haven’t touched my yarn or sewing machine in over 10 days. I’m so exhausted. But that’s how this goes I guess. Anyway, hope you are all well! 

Sorry to hear that. Hope you get your energy level back.

Well, I finally kicked the fever and feel much better. I paired two Goodwill yarns for this hat… you know how I like to combine solids and variegated yarns:

IMG_2932.jpeg

• Like 1

This is RHSS “Blacklight” with some random black yarn. I started the black top portion of the dress while watching football Sunday night. Ha, it’s definitely not an evening project. I am going to try to make a purse for the dress. 

IMG_2929.jpeg

IMG_2933.jpeg

Edited by babypoohsmom
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, bgs said:

Prayer shawls turned in today.

They are nice, but could you pls explain what is meant by a prayer shawl and where do you turn it in?  Thanx.  - Horsy. 

I live in a very large continuing care senior community.  We have chaplains and volunteers that visit residents in the hospital and care center. There is a group of us that knit and crochet prayer shawls for them to hand out. I They are given to residents, associates, and even members of associates families often when they are at one of the lowest oints in their lives.  The shawls are prayed over.  Among other things I pray that it brings the recipient comfort and that they feel loved and not alone.  I explain to people that they basically a hug.  We hear people are amazed that someone would take the time to  make something like this to be given to them. A few months ago I started making angel prayer cloths for the chaplains and hand some of them out myself.   This is my explanation for them.  

This is a pocket prayer cloth made especially for you.  Each time you touch it may you be reminded of HIS unending love for you.  May it bring you peace, comfort, hope, and joy.

I have had more than one person that I have given one to tell me that they ran across someone that they felt needed one and gave them theirs.  If they tell me I replace it. 20240212_101246.thumb.jpg.c66c97dcfc70171b3f76404c4a0a83b6.jpg

20240610_101722.thumb.jpg.dfe1031beec8a44af5f71e622a7314d9.jpg

• Like 3

Brenda, I just love the delicate pink and white shawl. I mean I love them all but I always look at post when you all post a batch of shawls, mini stockings, etc, and think “which one would I take”? That’s how I vote at quilt shows. Not for the quilt that has impressive technique but colors I don’t like, but which one would I want on my bed. 
Anyway, it’s silly but it entertains me. 

41 minutes ago, babypoohsmom said:

Brenda, I just love the delicate pink and white shawl. I mean I love them all but I always look at post when you all post a batch of shawls, mini stockings, etc, and think “which one would I take”? That’s how I vote at quilt shows. Not for the quilt that has impressive technique but colors I don’t like, but which one would I want on my bed. 
Anyway, it’s silly but it entertains me. 

I know what you mean.  Out of this batch my favorite because of colors would be the first one because of that blue multi colored yarn in it.

The next two were chenille yarn and are so soft.  

The pink one is baby yarn.  I really love that stitch pattern.  It is from this scarf pattern.

https://www.yarnspirations.com/products/red-heart-cosmo-scarf?srsltid=AfmBOoo8iW5XQW-hdcRsaKJlVX5Af99z1lC80_IamHEszL8pcvMy6Whm

When I first joined this group they said 100%acrylic worsted weight 24 by 60 inch rectangle but any stitch pattern.  We get a lot of yarn donations and they were putting the acrylic worsted weight on our shelves and left other stuff bagged for the thrift store or we could use it if we wanted.  It finally dawned on me I could be using much of it for doll blankets and doll clothes.  A couple of us decided there was really no reason why we shouldnt make them out of the sport weight or the bulky yarn. One of the donation bags had a triangle shawl and we decided that our one lady would find a home for it.  She reported back that someone really loved it and that some preferred that style. We could make them a whole lot faster.  At the time we were down to 3 of us making them and we were having a hard time keeping up.  Its been great having someone that hands them out giving us feedback.  I try to make some in colors that guys would like and last time she told me some men like the shoulder wrap ones. 

https://www.interweave.com/article/crochet/crochet-wheelchair-wrap-pattern/

On 9/9/2024 at 8:21 PM, babypoohsmom said:

Well, I finally kicked the fever and feel much better. I paired two Goodwill yarns for this hat… you know how I like to combine solids and variegated yarns:

IMG_2932.jpeg

Glad to hear you are feeling better. The hats and dress are very cute.

• Like 1

For the most part I haven't had to replace many of my model dolls for the donation project.  They live a hard life but most of them survive.  The original Springfield doll gave up the ghost during COVID and was sent to a toddler by a grandma who wanted her to learn how not to kill a more expensive doll.  That being said the she was a few decades old.  But I still have the My Life Doll Darski sent me years ago as my and my original Our Generation as the sizes don't seem to have changed much.

However, Barbie and family are my nemesis when it comes to needing to buy new models as each time they discontinue my current model and I've run out of what I was able to buy before they sold out the next one is never quite the same size.  I was not sad to see the previous models go as they were all off my old patterns but I will be sad when the current models go as they've required the fewest adjustment.

However, finding places to donate by old models which are still in good condition because unlike the Springfield they don't get a decade of use before retirement, has been challenging. I have no desire to sell them and I really wanted them to go to a child who needed something not a collector scoring something at the thrift store.

However, last year when we did our Church's free clothing boutique not only did they have clothes but a few toys and books.  I dropped off dentist Ken and Barbie Vet yesterday at Church with their original clothing and accessories and with that I feel a bit less like a crazy doll hoarder.  I can let them go.:rofl

• Like 1

I know how you feel.  Brenda, I have several dolls I would like to give to someone, but not a collector.

There will be 3 Barbie's in their boxes comeing up, along with a couple of babies.  I am not sure of the size.  Oh and in the last box I sent, was a round box of only shoes and boots.

Looking for something yesterday, I came across a group that will take old stuffies in any condetion.  They will either referbish, fix or donate to someone who can dispose of them in a elogical way.  I just found it facinating.  Of course I can not find them now.  If I do, I will let you know.

Clouds are moving in, even though they said no rain today.  Yeah right.

Hope everyone is having a good day.