College Crocheters (and Knitters)

Emily

It seems that I see someone tucked away with a hook or a pair of needles at least once a week. Out comes the yarn, and off they go--it's really quite amusing. A bunch of girls in my hall in the dorm have knitting parties while they're watching TV together, the lot of them perched around making scarves. And this weekend there's an all-supplies-provided for-charity crochet- and knit-athon! :hook

I taught myself to crochet while in college (not too long ago, I'm in grad school now). I was an RA and even had programs teaching people with all supplies paid for by the programming budget. If few people showed up (usualluy just my friends) I got to keep what was left! :yay Suggest this to your RAs, it can be a great program if you pair it with blankets for linus or another charity.

I am in college too.. and i love to crochet, but i barely have time considering what my major is.. also NONE of my friends know how to crochet and knit, and they all look at me weird when i get excited about yarn and going to Michaels or A.C. moore. :)

I started a club at my college two years ago, and even though I've graduated, it's still going. At a school of 4500, we had OVER 100 MEMBERS! It's a very popular hobby!

Oh, and we called it Stitches, so as not to leave anyone out :)

In my college dorm (and I was in college 1996-2000, so before the storm of knitting took over), there was a Bitch n Stitch (waaay before the book came out). While I was never able to go, many people brought knitting or sewing machines.

Nowdays, half the grad students at my department know how to knit/crochet and get together regularly. (and that includes many guys, too)

Wow, when I was in college, everyone just thought I was wierd when they saw me crocheting!

A couple of girls were interested, so I showed them but that was about it.....one girl was really good and surpassed my skills very fast. I was very proud :manyheart

I would have loved a club or a group of friends with similar interests....well besides keggers that is :lol

~Chicki

I'm an "older" (Only 30!) college student. I almost always have a "take along" project going. I like to get to school early and crochet a bit before class. In fact, last week one student asked me if I "HAD" to crochet before class- I explained I do it primarily for fun, and occasionally for profit and offered to teach him. He wasn't interested- LOL But it is a good conversation starter!

There was not a defined group of crocheters at the university I attended (John Carroll University) but I did crochet in college. It was kind of funny, all my friends were playing hearts for beer and I was crocheting this gigantic filet crochet Lord's prayer thing. Of the course the really funny thing is that I converted to Judaism about 5 years later. :P

I just graduated this May, but when I was in school I was crocheting alot. I cleared it with a few of my professors that if there was a movie in class, I could bring my yarn - as long as I knew what was going on in the film. It turned out productive, because I was able to finish a baby afghan to donate for Relay for Life.

However, I was part of a small, local sorority, and got unofficially "banned" from bringing my yarn to house meetings because people would be watching me work on my projects instead of paying attention to the meeting.:blush

I'm working on my grad degree via distance education now, but I'll be starting my practicum at a local community college next semester, so it'll be fun to see if they have any crochet/knit clubs on campus. While in undergrad, NOBODY that I knew knit or crocheted... :( I'm hoping to leave my imprint on this community college by starting up a crochet club if there isn't one already. :yay

• 3 weeks later...
Lol, I should start a "Stitches" here. :lol I mean, there bes the knitters and crocheters, and sewers, and I quilt and ebroider as well as crocheting and sewing . . . :cheer

If you do it; I will! I think "start a yarn junkie group" should be a new crochetville movement!

:ghug

I work in the catering department of my campus, and another girl I work with also crochets. This past Friday we walked past each other in the basement of the building we do most of our work in, and she was like, "You should see everyone up in the servery." It turned out she had brought a crochet project to work with her, and all of a sudden like 5 people, all college students, decided they wanted to learn to crochet. It was pretty cool.

that is wonderful! :hook i plan to bring my hook for my breaks during my practicum at the community college i'll be working with. hopefully, i can spark some interest too. i'll have my digicam on duty to catch it all! :D

• 1 month later...

when i was in college...i would crochet all the time. it was a relaxing thing for me. plus 3 of my best friends would come over and we would all crochet while we were watching movies or just talking. i made quite a few blankets for all my friends...:) my friend craig actually likes the blanket that i made him. he says that he uses it all the time....)

I always have a project with me, whether it be crochet, my spindle, or knitting.

Since I'm still on my contract to work in the lab, I feel a little bad when I do it when there's nothing else to do (but that's the life of a research assistant, either too much or too little to do), but in less than a month I start my thesis, and I'll be on my own time, can't wait!

Archived