How do you plan your day, week, month etc.

DHagen

Question

Hi All!

Just looking for general advice here. 

For me, I seem to search endlessly for a project to do, and once I decide on one, then I'm all in until I'm done.  Once that happens, I'm flung back into the ideas wilderness looking for a project.  I find myself aimlessly wandering the yarn isles and grabbing balls of "neat" looking or feeling yarn without having anything in mind for them.

There has got to be a better way.

If you wouldn't mind, I would like some of you to give me your 2cents on how you plan and prioritize your short and long term projects.

Thanks.

6 answers to this question

I tend to have purposes for my projects which makes identifying, searching, and deciding on projects some what easier.  I also tend to save patterns of interest on various sites so I can print the free ones or buy the ones I want later.

Mostly now I take it one day at a time.  

I no longer roam the yarn aisles just picking up yarn.  I try and find projects that will lighten my stash.

Mostly I try and think what I want to work with.  4ply, 3 ply, 2 ply or thread.

Not much help, but this is what I do.

I usually don't buy yarn except if it's on a really good sale or for a specific project. I haven't had much luck with buying a "pretty" yarn then finding a project for it and it being enough yarn for that project.

My stash often grows because I'm phobic about having enough to finish a project and usually buy a little more than the pattern calls for. So over time I have a lot of leftovers that I need to find small projects or multicolored larger projects to use it up. 

I like to make dishcloths so I try to keep a supply of basic holiday colors of cotton yarn. I don't live close to anywhere to buy yarn except Walmart.

I have a huge collection of patterns and try to keep a list of ones that I really would like to make, so when I finish something I usually have several options sitting there waiting their turn. I have learned the hard way to put the pattern with the yarn as soon as I've bought the yarn so I'm not desperately searching for the pattern or even trying to remember what I was going to use that yarn for. 

A lot of times it just depends on my mood. Or family request, I am working on an afghan for my daughter and my granddaughter and mother have both requested specific afghans so it will be a while before I need to find new project. 

I rarely buy yarn first--the only exception is sock yarn on sale (I know how much yarn I need to knit a pair), or an interesting color of doily thread I think I might use for an accent color (but either of those is a minor amount of $).  I don't have a stash otherwise except project leftovers.  It doesn't make sense to me to buy ahead, unless you make a lot of little things that take less than a skein, or items to donate, because if you buy (say) 3 skeins of something, then a year later find the perfect project for it but it needs 4 skeins, there is a zero chance you will find more of the same dye lot or maybe even the same yarn style - like fashion, yarn colors and styles come and go.

There are certain yarns I use over and over for doll and ami projects so when I can get a good deal on them I buy them.  As a result I do have more of a stash them I'm comfortable with and am working on downsizing through making projects from fiber in my stash.  I've been working on getting it more organized so I can find what I'm looking for to avoid buying what I don't need.

I also organized ball storage for the left overs am making my first doll project from this pile now.  If it is located in an easy to find area I'm hoping I will focus on using it up.

Since there are certain projects I focus on I have binders for patterns by subject.  I try to avoid keeping patterns with projects unless its in a project bag I'm working on as I've been known to lose patterns that way.