Too Many Christmas Presents = Insanity

What in the world was I thinking? I decided I would crochet throws and afghans for Christmas presents this year . . . last year I gave a lot of scarves to people and didn't want to repeat the scarves.

I picked what I thought would be quick patterns, but the one I am doing now is taking me FOREVER. It is a basketweave afghan---it is beautiful and is really looking good, BUT each row only increases the length of the afghan by 1/4 inch or less!

What am I goign to do? If I knew it was going to be a slow pattern, I would have used two strands or a bigger hook or both. :(

I am getting behind. Aaaaauuuuugggggggghhhhhhhh!:eek

So, if anyone has any empathy, sympathy, or advice, go ahead and give it--I am going crazy.

Nicole:)

I have lots of sympathy for you, and I hope it will all work out the way you want. You're very generous to make all those afghans!

You didn't ask for any perspective, Nicole, but here's some anyway: most of my family died, so the people I'd love to make afghans for aren't around anymore. I'd love to have your problem.

Now, hmmm, possible solutions, hmmm. f you're really stuck for time, maybe you could make the first quarter or so of each afghan, and wrap up just that - complete with a crochet hook stuck in the work and a "to be continued!" sign. Then your recipients would have something fun to unwrap, you'd have something to wrap up for Christmas, and you could get the rest done after the holidays. Might that work?

Could you change to a faster pattern for the afghans you haven't started yet?

that is a great idea. i think it would probable be the best for ya unless ya want to stay up late every night. or how about putting this afghan down and making a different pattern. then when you have the rest of them done ya could go back to that one. just a thought:blush :blush

Snapkat,

I know you are right--I am lucky to have so many people that I want to make special gifts for, and I love crocheting, I just thought it would be faster than it has been.

I have thought about starting a faster one and coming back to this one once I get more gifts under my belt.

Thanks for your reply---some of them might be getting 1/4 finished projects (or pictures of the projects as many of them will have to be mailed) for Christmas.

Have a good day,

Nicole

that is a great idea. i think it would probable be the best for ya unless ya want to stay up late every night. or how about putting this afghan down and making a different pattern. then when you have the rest of them done ya could go back to that one. just a thought:blush :blush

Thanks Vicki--I think I might have to do that. I have a couple on deck that I know should be pretty quick.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Nicole

... I just thought it would be faster than it has been.
I know the feeling! Right now I'm making a long scarf for myself, and it's taking ever so much longer than I thought it would. If only I hadn't made it 25 stitches wide, and if only I hadn't gone with solid double crochet the whole way Argh.

Considering how long it's taking me to get the scarf made, I can just imagine how you must feel with numerous afghans to finish!

Oh girl I know how you feel, Maby this will make you feel better...

MIL_ big granny square afghan(from lion brand site-very quick pattern!)-3/4 done

FIL-cantrasting colors big granny square afghan(what I mean is Im makeinf MIL's in girl colors, FIL's in boy colors)-not even started

Dirty santa gift-5 1/2 hour throw-almoas tdont but I screwed it up so will have to frog back to about half way

DS-shawl-not started

Aunt-hat and scarf, cigarette casr(yet to figure that one out)-not started

step mon- shawl(mythunderbird has a great one in origional patterns, It worked up in a few hours, I fyou have anyone who would wear a shawl)-done except for the edgeing

PawPaw=?

Uncle-?brother?

dirty santa for dh-camo 5 1/5 hour throw-not started

will draw names of 4 children at thanksgiving..... I would like to make all 6 of the kids something like letter pillows or something

aunt-shawl-mot started

DH-afghan-not started

Kids(my 4) - dont have a clue, the poor little ones may be left out as far a crocheted x-mas gifts go....

OMG, I think I should have started this post!!!:eek It looks so much worse writen down, I kinda thaught I had it under control:think All of this with 4 kids under foot.....

(it did'nt look so bad at first but every time I get ready to post it I remember someone an dhave to go back and add them to the bottom of the list so I am stopping now!!!!)

I agree with Vicki - I'd put it down and do something else. The 5 1/2 hour throw on the LB site is supposed to actually work up in that amount of time (I haven't made one yet but I've heard rumors :)). Then if you find you have time, maybe you can get back to it.

I feel your pain - I started a scrap blanket for my eldest ds - I was originally planning to make a new blanket for each of my kids but at this point I'm only going to be able to make one for my two older kids (I think). Anyway, the one for my eldest - is hdc lengthwise on a twin/double sized blanket, and it is taking FOREVER (I'm not changing it to something else because I KNOW how much that blanket will mean to him - so I'm giving you advice I'm not taking myself :lol). I had no idea it would take so long - it looks really cool but it's incredibly time consuming. And I have a bazillion other projects I need to do - at least three other full sized blankets to do - two of those will be double strand, though, so that may not be so bad. I really wanted to make my dad and dh blankets but I just won't have time!

Well, it sounds like most of us are in the same boat, huh? ;)

I guess at least I am in good company, right? :) Good luck to all of us! Oh, and I am going to look up that shawl pattern on mythunderbird's site--I had been planning on making a shawl.

I thought about the 5 1/2 hour throw from the LB site, but it calls for so much yarn--I don't know where I can get all that yarn at once. I will have to go to a few stores to get it, I think. But, heck, if it works up in anywhere near 5 1/2 hours, then I think it is definitely worth it.

Thanks for letting me know that even though I am in a tight spot and starting to panic, I am not alone. :)

Nicole

Nicole, that LB blanket will probably take about 60 ounces of regular WW yarn - the balls of yarn they call for are either 3 or 4 ounces (can't remember which right now). You don't have to use what they do! I've made other blankets using a combo of the RH aran fleck and the soft white and that came out really pretty. You can really play around with the colors to get different visual textures.

I'm great under pressure.. You might be, too! I had 2 shrugs, 2 wraps,3 sweaters, 4 hats, 2 pair of fingerless mittens, and 2 Quillows to do before Thanksgiving. All I have left are the Quillow and I can make them in Two days....Then I can get ready for our Kids and Grandkids coming down for Turkey weekend. Having 19 for dinner ( 21 counting Hubbie and me).And that Friday celebrating Christmas. Before they head back on Sat. Then I can start on familia that live here..and are seeing for Christmas..

I'll just cheer you along..:cheer :cheer :cheer You can do it... But pictures in cards or okay, too.

I'm there with ya! For some reason I decided to make a bunch of afghans for people this year and I of course started with the one that would take the longest! :P Basket weaves do take a long time and a LOT of yarn...but...they're beautiful! I'm sure whoever is getting it will love it! :)

OMGosh!!!Only 6 weeks left till Christmas! Thanks for the reminder. I have to finish the Cathedral afghan, start a Tinkerbell afghan (thinking it might be a cushion instead, LOL), make a treeskirt for our tree (gave mine to my daughter for her first Christmas with new hubby last year) ....that doesn't even begin to do it for this Christmas....thinking I should get off of here and CROCHET!!!!!

I encountered the same problem myself! As I started working on The Snowflake Afghan for my nephew (amidt all the other presents I am making) I realized about 1/2 way through that this was taking wayyyyy too long to finish! So I stashed it (will get it out again at some point to finish it) and he's getting what everyone else is getting, A Scarf and Hat... In leiu of making big afghans for everyone, I made Throws with big stitches and big hooks that worked up in 3-5 days each. After deciding to change some of my patterns and what I was makinge each person I have almost finished!

I am finally finished with all my gifts for family up north (which is a good thing as it's getting mailed right after Thanksgiving!) and I only have a couple more presents to go for my In-Laws.

I highly suggest putting aside the beautiful basketweave to finish another time and do a quick throw with a large hook. If you don't want to do that, I suggest what another poster said, send the recipient a swatch of that with a note... On my graduation my aunt hadn't quite finished my School Afghan and when I opened it she told me it had to "finish growing" before I could have it! About a month later she gave me my finished afghan and it was like getting an extra gift almost!

Most of all, calm down and try not to let all these projects get to you!!! GOOD LUCK!

I thought about the 5 1/2 hour throw from the LB site' date=' but it calls for so much yarn--I don't know where I can get all that yarn at once. I will have to go to a few stores to get it, I think. But, heck, if it works up in anywhere near 5 1/2 hours, then I think it is definitely worth it.

Thanks for letting me know that even though I am in a tight spot and starting to panic, I am not alone. :)

Nicole[/quote']

Yes girl, they do work up in about that time, I havent actually finihed one but I have about 2 hours in each of these and I'm more than half way through,

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b255/shelain22/01010346.jpg

That one is done with 3 strands of mainstays... and a K hook.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b255/shelain22/01010343.jpg

And this one with 2 strands of mainstays, and a P hook. It will probably take one more set of 2 and 3 skiens each to finish them. I like the look of the beige one better but it is a little stiff, It would probably be more for looks than the other one. Of course it will depend on how fast you stitch but this is definitely going to be the bulk of my x-mas gifts, I am giveing like 6 of htem....

I just started crocheting and now people think I am going to make them presents for X-mas! I am lucky enough to still have the option of scarves, but I can understand how you feel. I am hoping to achieve my goals for Christmas and I am sure you can do the same. GO CROCHETVILLE TEAM:cheer

Faith, Thank you so much for your post. I've only been crocheting for about a year, and sometimes I am really afraid to use a different yarn than what is called for. I am worried I'll venture out and try a different yarn, start the pattern and discover that it didn't work and have all that yarn . . . But, you have reassured me that in this case at least it should be okay (and maybe less expensive).

Thanks again!

Nicole

I'm there with ya! For some reason I decided to make a bunch of afghans for people this year and I of course started with the one that would take the longest! :P Basket weaves do take a long time and a LOT of yarn...but...they're beautiful! I'm sure whoever is getting it will love it! :)

Tracy, the afghan thing is a bit of a burden, isn't it? Until I started the afghan, I didn't know that basket weaves took so long, and they DO use a lot of yarn. But, it is looking so nice. I think it looks like it would be a good gift for a man--the basketweave can be seen as masculine. I really like it.

Good luck with your list, too!

Nicole

OMGosh!!!Only 6 weeks left till Christmas! Thanks for the reminder. I have to finish the Cathedral afghan, start a Tinkerbell afghan (thinking it might be a cushion instead, LOL), make a treeskirt for our tree (gave mine to my daughter for her first Christmas with new hubby last year) ....that doesn't even begin to do it for this Christmas....thinking I should get off of here and CROCHET!!!!!

I know---time is slipping away so so fast. October went slow and now November is steamrolling. I find myself spending less and less time on the Internet---no time for anything but crocheting. :hook

Nicole

I encountered the same problem myself! As I started working on The Snowflake Afghan for my nephew (amidt all the other presents I am making) I realized about 1/2 way through that this was taking wayyyyy too long to finish! So I stashed it (will get it out again at some point to finish it) and he's getting what everyone else is getting, A Scarf and Hat... In leiu of making big afghans for everyone, I made Throws with big stitches and big hooks that worked up in 3-5 days each. After deciding to change some of my patterns and what I was makinge each person I have almost finished!

I am finally finished with all my gifts for family up north (which is a good thing as it's getting mailed right after Thanksgiving!) and I only have a couple more presents to go for my In-Laws.

I highly suggest putting aside the beautiful basketweave to finish another time and do a quick throw with a large hook. If you don't want to do that, I suggest what another poster said, send the recipient a swatch of that with a note... On my graduation my aunt hadn't quite finished my School Afghan and when I opened it she told me it had to "finish growing" before I could have it! About a month later she gave me my finished afghan and it was like getting an extra gift almost!

Most of all, calm down and try not to let all these projects get to you!!! GOOD LUCK!

Donna--I have put the basketweave away for the moment, and I have decided to do a couple different 5.5 hour throws. I have a bunch of yarn that I bought for other patterns, butnow I am afraid they will be long projects, too. I think I am going to buy some yarn for a quick throw with a big hook and see how it turns out. If I can whip out a few of them pretty quickly and they look nice, then I can pick up a project that might take longer.

Thanks so much for your advice---I think I'll make the person a hat and scarf for Christmas and then send the afghan on later.

Nicole

Yes girl, they do work up in about that time, I havent actually finihed one but I have about 2 hours in each of these and I'm more than half way through,

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b255/shelain22/01010346.jpg

That one is done with 3 strands of mainstays... and a K hook.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b255/shelain22/01010343.jpg

And this one with 2 strands of mainstays, and a P hook. It will probably take one more set of 2 and 3 skiens each to finish them. I like the look of the beige one better but it is a little stiff, It would probably be more for looks than the other one. Of course it will depend on how fast you stitch but this is definitely going to be the bulk of my x-mas gifts, I am giveing like 6 of htem....

Shelain22--Thanks so much for posting those pictures and letting me know what yarn you used. As I stated in an earlier post, I am afraid to use yarn that isn't recommended for the pattern (for patterns that aren't something simple like WW). I like how yours are turning out--I'll proceed a little more confidently now.

Thanks so much,

Nicole

I just started crocheting and now people think I am going to make them presents for X-mas! I am lucky enough to still have the option of scarves, but I can understand how you feel. I am hoping to achieve my goals for Christmas and I am sure you can do the same. GO CROCHETVILLE TEAM:cheer

Jennifer--I did scarves last year, and I got a little stressed out about that--too many in a short time, but this is worse.

Thanks for the cheerleading---we all need it.

Nicole

Hmm, maybe I should change my plans for next year. :blush I did hats this year and wanted to do afghans for next . . . well, larnge yarn, large hook, that sort of thing . . .:cheer

Emily, don't worry--just start a lot earlier than I did. I severely under-estimated everything. And, as I am discovering, large hooks and large yarn are a good idea.

Nicole

Archived