What is cotton yarn

Guest Crafterlady46

Guest Crafterlady46

What is cotton yarn? What brand? I thought most yarn was like the red heart kind or wool. I don't keep up with yarn. I am doing roaks this week and need to know the difference. Thanks

From what I understand, there is Cotton 4 Ply Yarn that is good for dishclothes and such. So far I have seen it in Lion Brand (a little expensive) and Sugar and Cream. Wal-Mart carries it and I have seen it at both Jo-Anns and Rag Shop. Our local Michaels doesn't carry any of it.

I use the Sugar and Cream as I can get twice as much for the price of Lion Brand Cotton. There's also a Peaches N Cream too, I think...

I adore cotton yarn. You can purchase it at Wal Mart, Michaels, etc. Sugar and Cream is one brand, Peaches and Cream (wal mart), and even Lion Brand makes a cotton. I think Bernat also has cotton, not sure. But I enjoy working with the Sugar and Cream cotton, it comes in a variety of colors and is usually about $2 a ball.

Donna

there are also yarns like Paton's Grace.. a sport weight very pretty cotton.. Rowan's Rope which is basically like a rope only in a bulkier both of these can be used for garments.. and there is cotton sock yarn ..

but the basic stuff is the sugar and cream and lion kitchen cotton..

there is also Cottn Tots which is a cotton baby yarn

What is cotton yarn? What brand? I thought most yarn was like the red heart kind or wool. I don't keep up with yarn. I am doing roaks this week and need to know the difference. Thanks

It really depends. If you're making dishcloths or kitchen items, the best yarns to use are "kitchen cottons" like Peaches and Cream or Sugar and Cream. These are 100 percent, 4 ply cotton yarns. Lion Cotton is also in this category. You can buy them in small, inexpensive skeins or in larger spools. It's about half the price to buy the larger spools if you go to Walmart, where they run about $5. Other cottons that would be in this category would be Aunt Lydia's or Bernat's Handicrafter. (I sometimes see a cotton/acrylic blend by Aunt Lydia's which is nice and soft.)

Paton's Grace is a sport weight mercerized cotton that has a lovely sheen and is for garments. So, so pretty!

There are other mercerized thread cottons which are bedspread weight and fingering weight.

Takhi's cotton yarn is a more expensive cotton yarn you'd find in a LYS (local yarn store) and not at Michael's. Very, very pretty!

There are cotton chenilles too.

And cotton/nylon blends for socks.

And of course there's Cotton Tots which is a cotton yarn that comes in pastels. Very soft.

Lion used to have Cotton-Ease which has been discontinued which is a cotton/acrylic blend. I think Red Heart has a cotton/acrylic blend yarn but I haven't seen it in the store. I do keep on seeing it advertised in knitting and crocheting magazines though.

Guest Crafterlady46

Thanks a lot. Great! I am off to wal-marts. Hope I get it right. Will look for the sugar and cream. I think I have seen aunt lydias there. Bangor does not compare to the Brewer walmart. Bangor has squat. Maybe I will try the Brewer one. It just about 15 minutes further 10 if I hussle. :D

Go to this website and search cotton. http://www.yarndex.com

Cotton is a great yarn as it breathes well and has a nice drape. If it is 100% cotton it can be "rope like" and doesn't have much of a stretch. Cotton is great at absorbing and is used for dishclothes and towels. Cotton blend (which is cotton and acrylic (or another fiber) has more stretch and makes great summer garments. I :manyheartcotton!

I had my first experience of cotton yarn when I was sent some Peaches n Creme and Sugar n Cream from friends in the US. I can't believe how soft it feels! I had to force myself to make dishcloths with it after convincing myself that it was too bulky to make a wearable out if it....it's too hot here for most yarny wearables, you know....and I'm still waiting to see less bulky cotton yarns....seeing is believing!

Guest Crafterlady46
I had my first experience of cotton yarn when I was sent some Peaches n Creme and Sugar n Cream from friends in the US. I can't believe how soft it feels! I had to force myself to make dishcloths with it after convincing myself that it was too bulky to make a wearable out if it....it's too hot here for most yarny wearables, you know....and I'm still waiting to see less bulky cotton yarns....seeing is believing!

:) That was my next question. I wanted to know what you all made with it. I had no idea. :think I use size 10 only. I did buy and extra roll for myself today....after I got it home I didn't know what to do with it. :lol Thought maybe a pocket book.?

:) That was my next question. I wanted to know what you all made with it. I had no idea. :think I use size 10 only. I did buy and extra roll for myself today....after I got it home I didn't know what to do with it. :lol Thought maybe a pocket book.?

Bernat's website has lots of ideas for garments and home decor. Tote bags are fun. Also just about any kitchen item: hotpads, dishcloths, tea cozies, etc.

Archived