ISO Lace Edging/ Pillowcases

ReniC

Question

I'm searching for some pretty lace edgings for pillowcases with a size 10 or 20 cotton thread. I checked out some vintage patterns online but, nothing jumps out. I'm hoping to find a couple that are about 7 rounds or so per pattern. Any suggestions?

24 answers to this question

Where did you look?  https://freevintagecrochet.com/  has a bunch but most are mid-last century, but I like to also browse https://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/ , which will probably overlap somewhat with the first site but they have a lot of WW1 era patterns as well that might 'have more to them'.  APL is a little harder to search, I use a PC and the ctrl+f to find 'edging' (not in quotes).  (US patterns prior to 1930-ish will be in UK terms)

Also, I just picked up on the 'rounds'.  Don't overlook edgings worked 'the other way', probably especially those meant for pillows, as (I've been told) pillowcase lace was often cut off when a pillow wore out and sewn on another pillow, so were made in rows an inch or 2 wide, for the length of the pillow opening and sewn on to the pillowcase.  

edit, NCcountrygal and I on the same page for the first link, we posted at the same time!

Edited by Granny Square
  • Haha 1

Diana: I did indeed check out freevintagecrochet.com. They're one of my go to sites. I'm going to look there again today. Thank you. There is one pattern I bookmarked and will print it off, but, I'll keep looking.

GrannySquare: I'm partial to vintage crochet and the 2 sites you recommended are special to me. Thread crochet is what I learned from and grew up with. I remember as a small child sitting and watching my grt-grandmother refurbishing pillowcases. She'd save the scraps for braided rugs. Nothing was ever thrown away. She was so versed with embroidery and crewel work. She could whip out a pillow cover in crewel so fast, and freehand too. She made quilts also and I loved sleeping at her house just to wallow in those great quilts. It was amazing yet mind boggling how talented she was.

Brenda: There is nothing wrong with simple in my opinion. Your pillowcases are so lovely, embroidery and the edgings. Thank you for sharing.          I don't know why I haven't done this in so many years. I suppose I let other crafts and yarny things take precedence. Out with the old and in with the older. LOL!

You gals are all great. Thank you!

• Like 1

Oh my goodness, I love your stories.  Maternal grandmother taught me to embroider; my mom wasn't crafty so I had to borrow a friend's mom to learn to crochet and machine-sew.  But yes, my parents having gone thru the Great Depression taught me to 'save this, it might be useful for something' habit, although moving houses a few times, now not quite as much!

Edited by Granny Square

On 7/2/2021 at 11:43 AM, Granny Square said:

Oh my goodness, I love your stories.  Maternal grandmother taught me to embroider; my mom wasn't crafty so I had to borrow a friend's mom to learn to crochet and machine-sew.  But yes, my parents having gone thru the Great Depression taught me to 'save this, it might be useful for something' habit, although moving houses a few times, now not quite as much!

Awe. Glad you like the little stories. This was my paternal grt-grandmother. I failed to mention, she still made her own lye soap! That's one craft I would never take part in. Too scary for me, but, I did watch with fascination while I sat and ate figs from her old fig tree until I thought I'd turn into a fig myself.  She was such a fun woman and so talented with so many different things. She was 82 when she passed in 1958 and I still miss her to this day.

Pushing this back out there since the Spammers are taking over. 

I haven't hit upon the "perfect" pattern yet for the pillowcases, but still looking. Maybe I'm just being too picky. I didn't search yesterday as I started the set of little doilies. I had fun looking through my fingering weight yarn. I was surprised at what I found that I had forgotten was stashed. Lucky me!

3 hours ago, ReniC said:

Pushing this back out there since the Spammers are taking over. 

I haven't hit upon the "perfect" pattern yet for the pillowcases, but still looking. Maybe I'm just being too picky. I didn't search yesterday as I started the set of little doilies. I had fun looking through my fingering weight yarn. I was surprised at what I found that I had forgotten was stashed. Lucky me!

You might check library and see if they have:

BE826165-B28C-4697-BEE1-562035F46FEB.jpeg

19 hours ago, NCcountrygal said:

You might check library and see if they have: ..............

I just checked our library's online inventory and they don't carry this, but Amazon does for $29!🤣 Thank you anyway.

Edited by ReniC

I had picked up an Edie Eckman (Kindle version) edgings book when it was on sale ($2.99 I think) a while back, I had checked when you first asked and it isn't on sale any more.  They are 'on sale' now for $9.99; you can get a Kindle reader for your PC or not-Kindle tablet.  I haven't used any patterns from these books yet, but for other for Kindle books' crochet patterns I 'printscreen' the images to Word (it's usually a several tiny tablet-sized pages that need copying over), tweak and trim the images for readability, and print them out.  Old school, but I figure it is at least a wash to do that than working from a Kindle, burning energy to have it on for hours.

41 minutes ago, ReniC said:

I just checked our library's online inventory and they don't carry this, but Amazon does for $29!🤣 Thank you anyway.

Too bad. 😕. There are a few with a shell pattern that would be pretty.  I received tatted  pillow cases and edging on the flat sheets as wedding gift from a creative aunt. Simple design but eye appeal 

I like # 6

https://m.youtube.com/c/TiaraLaceCrochet/videos

I completely forgot about mypicot.com. I found a couple on there that might work. 1.   2.

Thank you so much for your help. They are some amazing designs. I'm printing off the one from the purple poncho. I think that one may work for another set.

21 hours ago, ReniC said:

I completely forgot about mypicot.com. I found a couple on there that might work. 1.   2.

Thank you so much for your help. They are some amazing designs. I'm printing off the one from the purple poncho. I think that one may work for another set.

I hadn’t perused mypicot in many years.  I bookmarked #7 narrow alameda.   Half the fun is the search.  Glad you have some to consider.  

21 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Ooh, new-to-me sites to play in (purple poncho and knitting bee), thanks!

Have fun.   I miss the pc.  Everything was bigger and I could print away  and save.  At least this curbs my eye candy consumption. Lol

On 7/5/2021 at 11:00 AM, Granny Square said:

I had picked up an Edie Eckman (Kindle version) edgings book when it was on sale ($2.99 I think) a while back, I had checked when you first asked and it isn't on sale any more.  They are 'on sale' now for $9.99; you can get a Kindle reader for your PC or not-Kindle tablet.  I haven't used any patterns from these books yet, but for other for Kindle books' crochet patterns I 'printscreen' the images to Word (it's usually a several tiny tablet-sized pages that need copying over), tweak and trim the images for readability, and print them out.  Old school, but I figure it is at least a wash to do that than working from a Kindle, burning energy to have it on for hours.

Granny Square: If I had any common sense (memory) left, I would have realized I have that book and "Every Which Way Crochet Borders" by Edie Eckman (hardback). I think I have one more by someone else too if I'm not mistaken. I do appreciate your help that triggered this old brain.

1 hour ago, NCcountrygal said:

I hadn’t perused mypicot in many years.  I bookmarked #7 narrow alameda.   Half the fun is the search.  Glad you have some to consider.  

Oh I like #7 also. That would be so pretty around a fabric runner too. Really spruce it up. I made one for my MIL many years ago and received it back when she passed. Now I'm wondering where I put it. I think I do more searching and looky-loos than crocheting sometimes. LOL

Edited by ReniC

If you are at ease with charts, try the Spanish magazines.  I have a collection of MYM (muestras y Motivos) magazines, and there are some drop-dead gorgeous trim patterns in some issues.  I can't remember the Spanish word for them, but you could do a search online.  Unfortunately MYM is no longer being published, but I find them occasionally at sites like eBay.  I got most of mine from Crochet Australia when Vicky had a sale and the savings paid for the $$ to have them mailed to me here in the US.  They are oversize and printed on nice heavy paper.

Jennie G: Thank you for the suggestion. These magazines look similar to Decorative Crochet and Magic Crochet magazines, which I have about 2 dozen I saved from the 80's and 90's. They have charts and written patterns. Wish they were still in production. They were the best.

Edited by ReniC