fizzyapples91

Question

I've searched all across the web and can't come up with anything for this blanket. The closest I got was something in Irish crochet and even thought at one point it could be tatting, but I don't think it is.  I can't tell if they're supposed to be little sideways floral pineapples or if they're flowers surrounded by leaves?

The closest I've seen is venentian patterns but they don't have a flower in the middle. Is there anything I might be missing? I have never seen something I liked more and I would appreciate any help. These were the best pics I could get ( sorry). 

Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 10.50.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 11.17.01 PM.png

Edited by fizzyapples91
forgot important piece of info

13 answers to this question

Cluny style Irish crochet has daisy-type flowers sort of like that in rows or rounds, where 1 row is half the petals pointing down, the next row is the other half of the petals pointing up--they all have the same 'center', so you are (sort of) working in the round, -ish.  Except squinting at your example, these seem to have a 'center' to them, where Cluny daisies would have a little center hole.  This example does not appear to be made that way, and I can't decide if it's made horizontal to the way it's shown in the photo, vertical, or on the bias. 

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a manufactured knit item designed to look like crochet; I have a cheap tablecloth (in our dining room that never gets used) that looks for all the world like filet crochet a few feet away but not so much close-up.

2 hours ago, NCcountrygal said:

Could this be machine made to look like crochet type item. The thickness around all the stitching makes me wonder as lace or fine crochet doesn’t generally have that thickness 

I agree, the little leaf petals are curved and thick and even in a way that I've never seen crochet be on a stitch like this. I have considered that it might be machine made but a few of the other pieces in this show seem handmade so I figured I would try. Or at least try to find something close that I can hand make.

2 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Example of the Cluny lace flowers I was talking about--the inner flowers.  Edit - just in case the concept might contribute to something the OP might come up with to 'come close-ish'.

Sorry, don't what button I pushed accidentally to quote myself  :think , was not intentional!

Edited by Granny Square

1 hour ago, Granny Square said:

Cluny style Irish crochet has daisy-type flowers sort of like that in rows or rounds, where 1 row is half the petals pointing down, the next row is the other half of the petals pointing up--they all have the same 'center', so you are (sort of) working in the round, -ish.  Except squinting at your example, these seem to have a 'center' to them, where Cluny daisies would have a little center hole.  This example does not appear to be made that way, and I can't decide if it's made horizontal to the way it's shown in the photo, vertical, or on the bias. 

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a manufactured knit item designed to look like crochet; I have a cheap tablecloth (in our dining room that never gets used) that looks for all the world like filet crochet a few feet away but not so much close-up.

Thank you for such a helpful breakdown/ speculation ( as I know it's just speculation especially since the pics leave a lot to be desired). I bet an Irish crochet book would have loads of similar things but not quite it, but I'm betting I'm going to have that issue anywhere! 

I'm starting to agree with the consensus here that maybe it's machine made. In this particular show, there are several different versions, a few small draped over small chairs without borders, and then a bigger version on the sofa seen above. That would make sense that it's machine done to make the different versions. 

I still really want to make something like it, but so far the closest that I really like are the venetian squares but maybe jury rig it to have a flower in the middle instead of the squares. 

But I think I'll continue to just peruse around and see what I can find before trying to start something :)

venetian.jpg

• Like 1

This reminds me of the tablecloths I've made in the way past. My grandmother used to use tablecloth crochet patterns back in the day for christening baby blankets. They turned out so elegant and lacy.

• Like 1

I agree with ReniC.  My Mom made table covers and afghans for all us girls and they look like the one you are asking about.

Unfortunately she did not leave the pattern.  She did a lot with her memory and not write it down.  So unfortunately it is now lost.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

I agree with ReniC.  My Mom made table covers and afghans for all us girls and they look like the one you are asking about.

Unfortunately she did not leave the pattern.  She did a lot with her memory and not write it down.  So unfortunately it is now lost.

it never crossed my mind it looked like those but it does!! oh, how sweet, and you have one though that she made still?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fizzyapples91 said:

it never crossed my mind it looked like those but it does!! oh, how sweet, and you have one though that she made still?

Yes, both my oldest sister and I still have ours.  I am hoping to pass it down.