Table Cloth Query

NicolaJayne

Hey,

I have been asked to make a red and white table cloth and been asked how much Inwould charge to make one.

This isn’t something I have been asked to make anything like this before.  

My question his, what type of yarn should I be using to create an item like this?

You need to ask your requester what they expect.  I doubt it's yarn of any type.  You want something very flat, thin  and 'not squishy'.

When 'tablecloth' and 'crochet' are mentioned in the same sentence, it normally means doily thread and tiny motifs, or could be a solid piece in filet perhaps, but still tiny thread.  Miles and miles of doily thread (literaly, until recently Red Heart used to sell balls of crochet thread that had more yardage than a mile; I've gone thru about 1.5 of them making doilies....over several years....but I would never make myself, or offer to make someone else, a tablecloth.  It's a HUGE project.) 

You  can run down to Walmart and get a fabric tablecloth for....arbitrarily picking the biggest size for the first one that came up in a search, 60"x102"...$17.88.  It would take $17.88 several times over just for the thread you'd need.   Heck, I'd charge more than $17.88 just to add a narrow-ish  thread lace edging around an existing tablecloth that size, would be 9 yards of lace edging--of course they might have a smaller table, but ...!   And if by some odd chance they said, for example, that a tablecloth made out of Read Heart Super Saver is OK...You wouldn't be able to buy the yarn to cover a table for that amount.  And we haven't mentioned the cost of your labor...

...I brought up the Walmart example because people gauge 'value' at what they can pay retail for a similar-use item, which is often less than a crafter's material, let alone time.   [edit, I should add, I BOUGHT myself a "lace" tablecloth at Walmart maybe 15-ish years ago, I'm remembering it was about $15 - not a vinyl one, a  machine knitted 'fake crochet filet' style.  I just looked, they still have similar ones online for about the same price]

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 2

I was just pricing cloth tablecloths on line, just basic cloth vs vinyl and I was surprised that the prices were considerably higher than they were about a decade ago the last time I bought them.

I've made a couple of embroidered tablecloths and those tablecloths are not the greatest quality preprinted and those kits are expensive.

The crocheted lace tablecloths I've seen are heirlooms made by family for family and passed down. 

You might want to research patterns and see how much thread you are looking at and then get an idea of what it will cost you just for the supplies alone.  This is a HUGE undertaking. 

Realistically even if they were willing to have a thicker tablecloth it can't be acrylic yarn because you can't risk someone putting something hot on it and having it melt.  So it's going to have to be cotton or something else that won't melt?

I'm not sure if this was a commissioned project or a gift request but it is a huge request either way.  My experience is that people asking don't always understand what they are asking.  I had a request over Christmas that I turned down because the person asking had no clue that it wasn't a "simple" request.  In that person's mind it seemed easy enough because I'd made other items however this one was not something I'd have enjoyed making and I said no. 

Did you ever made a smaller piece like a table runner using crochet thread?. If you did you must know how time consuming that  kind of work is. You might be working on that table cloth for couple months...

I did seen a picture of  round table cloth made out of RHSS yarn in white,red & green. To say at least that tablecloth was shocking, not nice at all. 

I would never crochet or like to have any table covering made with yarn specially  made with Worsted weight yarn. That yarn is good for coasters or trivets.

Krys

Thank you all  for your responses, This is something that my friend would need a bank loan, for sure, I thought that maybe the case, so I will now get back to her with the information I now have, thank you ever so kindly everybody xx

• 4 months later...
On 1/25/2020 at 7:06 PM, USpolishgirl said:

Did you ever made a smaller piece like a table runner using crochet thread?. If you did you must know how time consuming that  kind of work is. You might be working on that table cloth for couple months...

I did seen a picture of  round table cloth made out of RHSS yarn in white,red & green. To say at least that tablecloth was shocking, not nice at all. 

I would never crochet or like to have any table covering made with yarn specially  made with Worsted weight yarn. That yarn is good for coasters or trivets.

Krys

I made a table runner for the Christmas table out of a #4 handicrafter type of cotton (Bernat cotton Mistletoe Ombre Jumbo Ball  - this is white, red & green).  It is about 5' X 20".  I used a #5 hook so it's fairly stiff and lies flat, doesn't wrinkle or scrunch up. 

I would not hesitate to make an entire tablecloth out of handicrafter cotton for a casual look on certain kinds of tables.   For your fancy dining room table, thread would continue to be the way to go.  I should have started one 20 years ago; it would be finished by now (maybe); it takes me weeks to do a small to medium doily.  How some people make entire tablecloths or bedspreads out of thread continues to baffle me. 

I have heard of Red Heart Super Saver and don't think it or any other acrylic yarn would be suitable for a runner.  IMO.  😊

Edited by Horsy

I've made 2 tablecloths out of #10 cotton thread. The first one took me 6 months to make and the 2nd took about 3.5 months to make, both working every day on them. They were labors of love and I swore, even as pretty as they were, I'd never make any again.  It's costly and labor intensive. Maybe a table runner instead?

Edited by ReniC

I sure love that collection of runners and dresser scarves, etc. that you linked to.  Thanks.  Now I am all hot to make another one, since you can at least see the end of the road, unlike a tablecloth made of thread.  I hope you kept those 2 tablecloths that you made. 

One of the patterns in your list, a real simple white runner, was done with RHSS.  I would not do this, myself.  

19 hours ago, ReniC said:

I've made 2 tablecloths out of #10 cotton thread. The first one took me 6 months to make and the 2nd took about 3.5 months to make, both working every day on them. They were labors of love and I swore, even as pretty as they were, I'd never make any again.  It's costly and labor intensive. Maybe a table runner instead?

WOW! you made 2 tablecloths using crochet threat you must be VERY patient.....!:).  When it comes to me there is no way that I would ever be able to put so many work hours to one subject. Besides that I do not like to crochet with thread. I just do not like tiny stitches & tiny hooks! :(

Krys

On 6/15/2020 at 9:05 PM, Horsy said:

I sure love that collection of runners and dresser scarves, etc. that you linked to.  Thanks.  Now I am all hot to make another one, since you can at least see the end of the road, unlike a tablecloth made of thread.  I hope you kept those 2 tablecloths that you made. 

One of the patterns in your list, a real simple white runner, was done with RHSS.  I would not do this, myself.  

The tablecloths were wedding gifts for 2 daughters. They still have them and use them on holidays and special occasions.

I don't think I'd care for a table cloth or runner out of #4 weight acrylic of any brand.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 7:22 AM, USpolishgirl said:

WOW! you made 2 tablecloths using crochet threat you must be VERY patient.....!:).  When it comes to me there is no way that I would ever be able to put so many work hours to one subject. Besides that I do not like to crochet with thread. I just do not like tiny stitches & tiny hooks! :(

Krys

Hi Krys-  My favorite crochet projects used to be thread. I'll bet I've made at least 100 doilies! It's become too tedious for me lately so, I only make small projects now with thread. I do have one doily WIP that I work a few rounds on occassionaly, but, it's taking forever to complete. Someday, somone will get it. LOL

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 11:04 AM, Horsy said:

I made a table runner for the Christmas table out of a #4 handicrafter type of cotton (Bernat cotton Mistletoe Ombre Jumbo Ball  - this is white, red & green).  It is about 5' X 20".  I used a #5 hook so it's fairly stiff and lies flat, doesn't wrinkle or scrunch up. 

That big round table cloth (with long side skirt) was made with that cotton Mistletoe Ombre yarn. Besides that there was 4 high-back chairs covers made with the same yarn, that Mistletoe. Even those backs of those chair were cover. I remember that when I look at all of that it was way too much of all those colors....sooo busy!.  Almost made me dizzy looking at that picture. I guess different people like different things! LOL

I think table runner made out that yarn (Mistletoe) could look very nice for Christmas.

Krys

17 hours ago, ReniC said:

Hi Krys-  My favorite crochet projects used to be thread. I'll bet I've made at least 100 doilies! It's become too tedious for me lately so, I only make small projects now with thread. I do have one doily WIP that I work a few rounds on occassionaly, but, it's taking forever to complete. Someday, somone will get it. LOL

Hi Reni, that is a lot of doilies! :). I never could work with thread. All I can do it just small parts for my Amigurumi, like a carrot nose for my Snowman's LOL

Everything you make looks very nice :).

Take care! :)

Krys

7 hours ago, USpolishgirl said:

That big round table cloth (with long side skirt) was made with that cotton Mistletoe Ombre yarn. Besides that there was 4 high-back chairs covers made with the same yarn, that Mistletoe. Even those backs of those chair were cover. I remember that when I look at all of that it was way too much of all those colors....sooo busy!.  Almost made me dizzy looking at that picture. I guess different people like different things! LOL

I think table runner made out that yarn (Mistletoe) could look very nice for Christmas.

Krys

Here's the Christmas runner which I made out of #4 rough cotton handicrafter yarn:

Runner.thumb.jpg.f9f8545d21ed5e6fb53f4b35680fae7e.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 12:07 PM, Horsy said:

Here's the Christmas runner which I made out of #4 rough cotton handicrafter yarn: ……………..

It turned out very pretty. I can picture a Nativity set or a Menorah sitting on it proudly.

22 hours ago, ReniC said:

It turned out very pretty. I can picture a Nativity set or a Menorah sitting on it proudly.

Thank you so much for the compliment.  However, inasmuch as those 3 colors represent "Christmas" I do not think that a menorah would be a suitable table decoration.  People who have menorahs don't want anything to do with Christmas, to the best of my knowledge, and I am willing to be corrected.  

I made couple cute sets of coasters using that yarn. I remember I made some other stuff with that yarn, I just can not remember what that was..? LOL

Krys

DSC00283.JPG

Edited by USpolishgirl

• 1 year later...
On 6/18/2020 at 11:15 PM, ReniC said:

The tablecloths were wedding gifts for 2 daughters. They still have them and use them on holidays and special occasions.

I don't think I'd care for a table cloth or runner out of #4 weight acrylic of any brand.

Yeah, great to know your wedding gift ideas for your 2 daughters.  I just bought few custom wedding koozies to gift one of my childhood friend on his wedding so as thinking that they can be used for different purpose.