Lion Brand Homespun Yarn Problems

catwoman

Question

Hi.  :)     I am having a hard time working with the Lion Brand HomeSpun yarn like having trouble seeing my stitches  and getting my tension even with my stitches and the beginning foundation chains?. :cry

Am i the only one that has trouble with this kind of yarn?. :( 

8 answers to this question

I haven't worked with homespun, but I've worked with boucle.  It's also difficult, because you can't see the stitches at all.  Also, it's hard to rip out.  I assume that homespun is difficult to rip out, too.  I found that after a couple of rows, I got to where I could feel where the top of the stitch was.  I also found that with the textured yarn, if you do insert your hook in the wrong place, it doesn't show.  I hope you're doing simple stitches, like all the same stitch or clusters.  I found that anything fancy doesn't show anyway.

Nasty stuff, but some people like it.  Be very careful, don't break the thread holding the fluff together, it's very fragile.  It also stretches a LOT after you've finished the piece.

It's best to use a larger hook than you think you'll need.  For working into the foundation chain, I'd recommend this:  with the chain facing you, and back bump facing away, insert your hook into the top loop of the chain.  It's easier to see/feel what you're doing, plus it does not pull tight like working into the back bump does.

I only used it once (never again), but the pattern was one that worked well with it - the woven stitch (it has several names): sc 1, ch 1, and in the next row sc into the chain space, chain over the sc below.  It was easy to see the gap where you needed to put your hook.

http://www.hookedonneedles.com/2010/01/learn-to-crochet-woven-stitch-video.html

Nor am I fond of Homespun.  It continually amazes me how so many people love it!  At least, according to Lion Brand....  That being said, I did make a lapghansout of it one time that ended up incredibly soft and warm!  I crocheted between the stitches.  But I won't try another one--I just didn't like working with it!

I do love it, and have a pound of (royal blue!) mill ends sitting here waiting to be yet another shawl for me, but it IS hard to work with. In crochet, linen stitch or the regular granny square pattern work well because you can see what you're doing. (Half-granny shawls come out really pretty.) Pulling it too tight or using too small a hook/needle will make a mess out of it. Also, the Great Fringe Controversy always arises: I don't mind a loose fringe, while a lot of people can't stand the way it looks and insist on tying the end of every fringe strand so it won't unravel.

On the other hand, it's very warm and light. Soft water washes seem to make it pill, while our hard water doesn't bother it.

While ago I made hats (for girls) and a warm shawl for my daughter using that yarn. I did not had any problems. I did liked that yarn.

The only problem I had it was: I could not make a pom-pom's out of that yarn. Because it can not be cut and left that way, that "fuzz" just coming apart. I did figure it out the way. I made a something like a "pom-pom" out of sc- chain loops with colorful Pallets worked in them. It worked out very nice.

Yes, I did needed to use my finger to feel the space for next stitch. Because of that it took a little longer.

Krys 

It is tricky. You have to have really good lighting. You have to go looser than you think possible on the chain. I only use it for making infinity scarves. I found a great pattern called Effortless cowl, it's hdc stiches over an over again. Those are pretty manageable with that yarn and I use the biggest hook I own, size N. Hm...speaking of which, I should bust one out again, they make great quick gifts.

Archived