Need to find the yarn

Paul Sherry

Question

Hello,

I'm new to this community and am seeking some help. I discovered a wonderful afghan on a favorite show of mine. I would love to crochet it very badly but can't find a yarn that's similar enough to the colors that I need. The pattern I can figure out (unless anyone has any ideas on that as well) I've posted a cropped picture of the afghan. I'm sorry that it's a little blurry but you can get still see the colors. I would like to find something as close as possible because all put together it's perfect for me.

Thanks!!!!

post-77626-0-19670600-1462738561_thumb.png

7 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

Unless you contact them to find out, you may have to settle for close. There are literally thousands of small to medium farms/businesses that dye yarn. I hope it's a large manufacturer and someone found or will find it!

It does look like a thick yarn.

I'm fine for close but I'd like to get as close as possible. There is no-one to contact by the way. The person bought the pre-made afghan over a year ago, maybe from bed bath and beyond.

I'd like it to have those earthy tones with a bit of color and be light weight but thick. Close is fine.

Big guesses here: Lion Brand Homespun yarn is a #5 weight yarn and has a "knobby" look to it when completed. The recommended hook is a K/10.5 crochet hook. Maybe there is a color there that will appeal to what you seek.

Red Heart yarns has Medley that might work.

You might also take the photo to a local yarn shop. Maybe someone there can assist for a substitute.

You might think about combining 2 variegated combos, switching every other stitch.  If I were to do this, I'd use a biggish hook to keep it drapey and do it tapestry style (working over the unused color), so it doesn't have yarn carried across the back.  Normally in tapestry you don't want the other color to show through, but in your case having show-thru would be a good thing.  That RH Medley looks promising...

Archived