When decreasing, sc2tog or skip first stitch?

Mygosh

Question

Hi,

I'm making a Cuckoo Clock wall hanging which is made up of flat, crocheted pieces and at the moment I'm decreasing by 2 stitches on each row for 16 rows (beginning & end of each row) but the pattern reads:

'Ch1, skip next stitch, sc in each st to last 2 sts, sc2tog , turn'

...Why does it say to skip the first stitch rather than sc2tog at both beginning & end of each row? Is there a benefit in doing it this way? Will it affect the way it looks?

Thank you :)

15 answers to this question

Hmm.  Good question, skipping a stitch makes a little hole, sc2tog doesn't.  If it's in a spot where the shaping is meant to be the same on both sides (like the roof?), I'd sc2tog on both sides (or be consistent in picking 1 or the other for both sides).  It might be done if one wanted it to look a little different on 1 side than the other, or to reduce bulk, so might depend where the shaping is happening.

Last year I worked a pattern that decreased 2 stitches on both ends of rows. You started and ended the rows with a sc and you sc2tog after the first sc and just prior to the last sc. I thought it made for a much nicer edge

Would like to know where the pattern is either online or for purchase. Thanks

Hello,

I came across the pattern in issue 37 of Simply Crochet magazine. It's from a few months ago but here is a link to purchase the magazine issue...

http://www.simplycrochetmag.co.uk/2015/10/15/simply-crochet-issue-37-new-issue/

I'm adapting the pattern design so it's not festive and suitable for all year round :)

post-76718-0-06012900-1461232065_thumb.jpeg

That's adorable.  Are you going to put real clockworks in it?  (Michaels has them for about $8-$10 in different sizes).

That is a super idea! Think I will definately do that :) Thanks!

As I'm making an un-festive version, I'm not sure what to replace the Santa appliqué with...any ideas? :)

Let's see--maybe the sun...or a star?  Anybody else???

Cat?  Dog?  Bird?

A flowerpot with one flower?

Fab! Lovely ideas. Now I have some inspiration, I just have to decide :) Thanks!

Thanks for giving the link, that is very nice. I searched appliques and there are so many nice ones. It would be neat to make different ones and change them for the seasons  etc.

For what to replace the Santa motif with: Since cuckoo clocks are made in Germany, how about the flower that grows in the Alps- the Edelweiss? This pattern looks just like them. I don't know what the size is of the finished pattern, but, a real Edelweiss is about 1-1.5" wide and the leaves do look a little bit fuzzy.

For what to replace the Santa motif with: Since cuckoo clocks are made in Germany, how about the flower that grows in the Alps- the Edelweiss? This pattern looks just like them. I don't know what the size is of the finished pattern, but, a real Edelweiss is about 1-1.5" wide and the leaves do look a little bit fuzzy.

Thank you for your awesome suggestion...the flower is beautiful!

Will definitely use your idea as it is lovely & will add to it.

May even make a start tonight as I've added it to my Ravelry library.

Many thanks :)

You're so welcome. Glad I could be of some help. I'd love to see a pic of your clock when finished.

I love these flowers. They struggle so hard to survive in the Alps just to exist in a beautiful but harsh summer environment. I understand too, they are very protected in many European countries and should be. They are very hardy but look very delicate.

You're so welcome. Glad I could be of some help. I'd love to see a pic of your clock when finished.

I love these flowers. They struggle so hard to survive in the Alps just to exist in a beautiful but harsh summer environment. I understand too, they are very protected in many European countries and should be. They are very hardy but look very delicate.

They are eye catching and very pretty.

I'm very grateful for your suggestion as it is just perfect.

Will definitely let you see the finished clock :)

Archived