how much yarn is needed for afghan

Beaglelady

Question

11 answers to this question

Try this ....

http://thecrochetcrowd.com/afghan-calculator/

It really depends on the yarn weight, hook size, stitches, size of afghan and your tension.  If you're making up your own design, you could get 1 skein of each color.  Make a sample panel the size that you want.  Measure the panel.  Weigh the yarn.  This will tell you how much yarn you used for one panel.  Multiply by the number of panels.

I love doing panels, but they've all required varying amounts of yarn.  I've used anywhere from 8-12 skeins.

ETA:  :waving  @ Kathy

I was thinking of Fishbone and maybe Basketweave or Seed stitches using regular worsted weight yarn possibly and H hook.

Then I did think about making a panel of each starting with 1 skein each and going from there.  So I guess i'm on the right track.

Thanks Friends!

Hi Redroses :-)

Beaglelady, I agree that does seem like a really good way to figure it out, to see how much of a panel you can make w/ 1 skein.  I had to look up fishbone stitch, so I learned something new :hook

I'm going to have to look up fishbone stitch, too...but warning, basketweave (any post stitch heavy pattern) is a yarn hog.  I'm not sure what the proportions truly are, but if you needed x yards for plain DC, I'd add about 20-30% more for basketweave and hope that would be enough.

Please excuse the distraction of the thread but, the only fishbone "stitch" I know of by Bonnie Barker, is sort of a Aran type cable. Annie's Attic has a scarf kit/pattern called Fishbone Cowl with a similar stitch type- sort of anyway. Is there another stitch I'm not aware of?

Please excuse the distraction of the thread but, the only fishbone "stitch" I know of by Bonnie Barker, is sort of a Aran type cable. Annie's Attic has a scarf kit/pattern called Fishbone Cowl with a similar stitch type- sort of anyway. Is there another stitch I'm not aware of?

Interesting!  the Fishbone stitch I found was this free (have to sign in) st patt https://www.anniescatalog.com/knitandcrochetnow/patterns/detail.html?pattern_id=256

which looks like what is used in the cowl.  

It's so fun  :no  how different st patts have the same name, and one patt can have 16 different names!!

Thanks Kathy! The stitch is interesting and I'm going to try a swatch. I have to agree about the different names and patterns getting all mixed up. Years ago, it was pretty clean, cut and dry what a stitch was called. I suppose it makes things more interesting????? LOL

https://www.anniescatalog.com/detail.html?prod_id=129303

This is where I got the idea for an afghan pattern only make it wider.   I got this pattern and made this, it's a two row repeat.  

I can't relocate the video with Ellen Gromley on how to do it, but it's really easy.

Thank you Mona. Looks like it will help. I've bookmarked it to follow it with some yarn and hook when I get some free time.

Archived