"Handle"-ing Help

CrochetAK

Question

Hey there folks,

It is I again! 

So as we all know, the holidays are coming up and I have been buckling down and decided that this year, everyone gets a homemade crocheted gift. So far, I was doing good with scarf and hat sets for my nieghbors kids, blankets and more galore. My creativity level is pretty high and I normally dont stumble on problems. 

So recently, I had made myself a netbook sleeve bag with a strap for easy carrying. Took me several attempts because the weight of the netbook vs the strap of the bag had a few pitfalls, needless to say that I eventually resolved that problem. Though in the midst of all of this, I had started making one of those oversized bags for my niece. It is about 18" wide about 12" tall and it billows out well in a relaxed state to allow alot of carrying items (or probably in her case, her two chiuahas). 

Now I finished the seemingly endless project today (FINALLY!) when my husband asked me what kind of handle or strap I'll be doing for this one. Thats when I blanked out and realized that it had never occured to me. I dont want the handles to look awkward on a large bag. I also dont want to make a strap that possibly could snap. I had thought about two lengthy straps criss crossed and attached to opposite walls of the bag, but now I really dont know.

So what I am asking from you lovely people are handle suggestions, ideas, techniques, suggestions, comments, and opinions.

Anything that can help "handle"-ing this subject. Please remember that everyone has different ideals, and opinions as well as techniques so I, o course, ask for respect, even if you dont agree. You can post tutorials and what not, but I am looking for more genuine offerings. After all, I too, can go to youtube and enter in a word and observe it all. So if theres something specific you are talking about that the video can help explain then feel free to post it with your post, I just dont need a list of youtube vids with no explanations or anyhing.

Thanks guys and I cant wait to see what you all have to say and what you have come up with!

CrochetAK

7 answers to this question

I've never done a bag, so I don't know about handles.  However, you can always create 2 and crochet or sew them together to double the thickness, which doubles the strength.  Also, shorter stitches, like an sc or hdc are less stretchy and stronger than the longer stitches.

ETA: Just as I was posting I thought of an idea.  I've seen woven yarn, like what's used to do macrame, out of nylon.  Crocheting a handle out of that would be strong.

I made a medium sized cross body bag in acrylic yarn. I used cotton yarn (sugar n cream) to make the edge of the strap so it would be less stretchy.

I also ended up lining the bag in muslin - bought a cheap remnant at the fabric store- and that has helped the bag keep from stretching out when it has stuff in it.

A lining might be a good idea if she might put a dog in it whose claws may get caught

I do bag straps with macrame cord, nylon or cotton twill tape and cover it with knit or crochet. I also reinforce the side of the bag below the attachment so the weight doesn't hang from the crochet alone. If you crochet or slide in a couple of heavy rings into the top of the bag (those flat-coiled key rings work well) you can use the flat nylon bag straps that have harness snaps on the ends.

It's also possible to use an adjustable strap if you crochet something in an eyelet pattern so the cord or tape can lace through. The buckle is often in about the same place regardless of strap length, so you only need a slightly wider spot there. (Come to think of it, that would make a good spot for a cell phone holder.)

I think something like the below examples would be sturdiest - the handles being a continuous loop, either fabric or tightly crocheted, that goes all the way around the bag, supporting the bottom.  If fabric, matching lining would be cool.  Something like this

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/p5-one-handle-basket-bag

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/eight-pocket-two-tone-carryall-tote

I think something like the below examples would be sturdiest - the handles being a continuous loop, either fabric or tightly crocheted, that goes all the way around the bag, supporting the bottom.  If fabric, matching lining would be cool.  Something like this

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/p5-one-handle-basket-bag

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/eight-pocket-two-tone-carryall-tote

Came here to recommend this very idea- to use an "all around" handle, know what I mean? Crochet it or whatever - but you want the strap(s) to encompass the entire bag, like a hammock. It can be a few inches wide, maybe two straps - but basically, I am seconding GrannySquares idea. There isn't a way, in physics, to make a handle that would start at the edge of the bag that would be sturdy and strong enough. It would have to come from the bottom, or be all around. It has to support the contents from teh bottom- not be attached at the top, because it would stress the top too much and stretch out the bag too much.

Archived