Wedding Afghan (And Other Gift) Patterns?

Deaux-Deaux

Question

My best friend is getting married in June, and I am hoping to make her wedding present. Problem is, I have NO IDEA what to make. Upon asking, I was told: dish towels?, Adventure Time, and "anything cool". We are about to graduate from college, and yes, we still watch cartoons. (:

I have seen topics on the site about wedding afghans, and am thinking about possibly tackling one. Issue is, most of the links I find on these older topics are out-dated. Does anyone have any current links to favorite wedding afghans?

I am open to other gifts as well... The bride loves octopus and anything glitter. The groom likes anime and video games. And of course, they both love Adventure Time.

That said, I am trying to make a classy/elegant gift. Hence my main request for some favorite afghans. (:

Thank you!

12 answers to this question

You could do an graph afghan for Adventure Time or something else they like.  You can make a graph at:

http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/

There are a ton of afghans on Ravelry.  You can look through the photos to see something that might catch your eye.

You could make an all white or all off-white afghan.  Those seem to be wedding-ish and classic.

You could make something using their wedding colors unless you know their living room colors.

There are lots of geek/nerd items at Ravelry that you could look through for ideas for something else.

If you have time you might make a 'gag' shower gift of a dish towel or hot pad with a cartoon motif, but not so much for a main wedding present.  Just my two cents/point of view, I would choose something for the couple's new life transition that are more classic for 'forever' not something that will be passe and not their interests a few years from now.

I agree that a cream color 'ghan goes with any decor, and will still be a classic years from now when they send their kids off to college.   The patterns that Magiccrochetfan linked above  are elegant and an easy pattern to remember once you get going.  And I wouldn't discount any that you find here just because the post is a couple of years old (unless the pattern link is dead), afghan styles don't change that much.  

Another very classic wedding pattern is the Tree of Life, you have to register at Lion Brand to download the pattern but it's free, and they have lots of other afghan patterns as well.  http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/90360AD.html .  It's not an easy one but it's beautiful.

RedHeart.com has a lot of 'aran' style afghans that would look stunning in cream (or any solid color) and aren't as complex as the Tree of Life one.  

Just my two cents/point of view, I would choose something for the couple's new life transition that are more classic for 'forever' not something that will be passe and not their interests a few years from now.

My two cents: I respectfully disagree.  People who love nerd/geek things, usually love it for life.  ;)

Just checking back in.

Thanks to everyone who responded! You all gave me some really good ideas and links to some beautiful pieces. 

If anyone has any more ideas, feel free to share! Otherwise, I'll probably get started on something real soon. (:

Archived