Boxing Day CAL 2015 (charity items!)

babypoohsmom

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow Bailey, you sure are getting a lot of work done.  What is your cut off date? 

I am looking for a easy corner to corner or center out (but not a simple granny square) blanket pattern, but the catch is that I need it for chunky yarn.  A 5 or 6.  Does anyone know of a pattern that might work??

Wow Bailey it looks like you are working to fill the gap Darski has left while she is recovering from a bit of illness!

I like the simple, but warm looking shawl. I started a "wheelchair shawl" several months ago, but sadly it got pushed to the side. I need to find it and finish it!

I think you are going to have the largest donation box yet this year!

These go directly to the a Prayer Shawl ministry.  I dropped that one off to a friend who will be attending tonight's meeting that I can't go to.  I did pick up a children's hat pattern at yesterday's Labor Day sales that I want to try to add to the donation box though.  Warm hats always seem to be needed and I've never really made kids ones.  I've loomed a couple of adult ones.  We'll see if I finish any in time.  If not I know others who collect them.

Darski, I have to share a note I received from the director of the Aztec Wishes program after I sent her an email telling her she and her students had reached Canada.

"Your story warms my heart. I can't wait to see your work and the donations from Canada. Each year as I get older I ask myself, can I do this gift project again? It consumes my time and I don't want to disappoint any of the children who benefit from Aztec Wishes. Your generosity lifts my spirits and encourages me to continue."

I know we don't do this to be thanked, but I know I'm always inspired when I realize our efforts reach even farther than we realize.  God Bless.

Darski, I have to share a note I received from the director of the Aztec Wishes program after I sent her an email telling her she and her students had reached Canada.

"Your story warms my heart. I can't wait to see your work and the donations from Canada. Each year as I get older I ask myself, can I do this gift project again? It consumes my time and I don't want to disappoint any of the children who benefit from Aztec Wishes. Your generosity lifts my spirits and encourages me to continue."

I know we don't do this to be thanked, but I know I'm always inspired when I realize our efforts reach even farther than we realize.  God Bless.

thank you for sharing this. :heart

It's nice when someone appreciates the work you do.

I've never seen the kind of doll you guys use. I guess Joanns and Micheals don't carry them. Does Hobby Lobby? I have one of those close by. But no AC Moore. I'd like to see one for the size and to see how the body moves so you can dress them. After seeing you and Darski do so much work with them, I am curious.

The two Orange boy kittens went to an adoption center yesterday at 3:30. By 5:45 there were not only adopted, but adopted together!

Their sister Gracie Lu is hitting my keyboard all of the time and her new mama is picking her up this week. Then I will be free of fosters and can get a little more crafting done!

Michaels in Canada carries the Springfield dolls which is one variety of the 18" girl dolls.

at the Springfield website you can click on the where to buy tab to find possible stores.  there is also the possibility of finding one at a thrift store.

American Girl dolls are quite expensive and don't show up in thrift stores generally.

I'll have to look the next time I'm in the local Michael's store to see if they carry them here.  Since I only buy two dolls a year I can usually wait and get my best deal at A.C. Moore.  However if Michaels does carry them, they are now closer to me.

We just got one in the next town over so I've been making quick stops there when I need a color to finish a project, etc.  I find I get better deals at A.C. Moore, but it is usually a weekend trip.  I can can get to Michaels while out on another quick trip out.  I also like there own brand of yarn for worsted weight projects when I can get it in the large balls.

I'll have to look the next time I'm in the local Michael's store to see if they carry them here.  Since I only buy two dolls a year I can usually wait and get my best deal at A.C. Moore.  However if Michaels does carry them, they are now closer to me.

We just got one in the next town over so I've been making quick stops there when I need a color to finish a project, etc.  I find I get better deals at A.C. Moore, but it is usually a weekend trip.  I can can get to Michaels while out on another quick trip out.  I also like there own brand of yarn for worsted weight projects when I can get it in the large balls.

If you get Michael's enewsletter you can often get a 50% off coupon - for only 1 item of course.  but even at our prices that makes for an inexpensive - and so pretty - doll.

I thought it might be nice to send an extra doll your way if I could find them. I will double check at Michael's.

I have heard of American Girl dolls and I actually saw a doll "hoarder" on that TV show. That actually caught my attention because of you ladies. A guy came out to appraise this woman's collection and I think it was something like $500k. Crazy.

My last Foster got adopted tonight. People who already adopted from me, so that was nice. The house is a bit too quiet now. But I need to put in some long days at work for awhile so I suppose the timing is good. When things are more settled at work, I guarantee that there will be kittens needing help. And I will have a house full again.

I'm also looking forward to getting back into my craft room. The kittens can't go in because it's too messy and if I try to sneak in and shut the door, they just stand outside the door and scream because they think they need to be in there too (just like the bathroom).

I have given away a dozen beds, 36 blankets and probably a hundred toys this last week. I forgot to take pictures. But I have some left, so I will do pictures of what I have.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been quiet around here this month! I finally got a scarf done to match the hat I made more than a month ago! I have enough of the yarn left to make another hat. This is from a bag of mill ends I got at Joann's.

post-13802-0-47114600-1443760587_thumb.jpg

It's been quiet around here this month! I finally got a scarf done to match the hat I made more than a month ago! I have enough of the yarn left to make another hat. This is from a bag of mill ends I got at Joann's.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

that is a pretty colourway.

I have managed to get back to crochet and I have completed 3 baby sets recently. 

I am losing track of what I have done this year - same as last year.  However, I will work on my list and at least be able to post what I remembered to write.

Wow, 3 sets? Do you crochet in your sleep? I swear if you tell me how you do it, I won't tell anyone else!

The yarn is very pretty and very soft. I wish I had more of it. I really end up liking a lot of the mill ends I buy. There have been a few exceptions of course.

I did not do a good job of keeping track of anything this year. Work, home, it's all been very sloppy this year. I am not sure why!

@ Denise....

I don't know how you feel about murder mysteries but I just found a set (for Kindle) that revolves around the "Furry Friends Foster Families" group.

Murder in Cherry Hills

this is an inexpensive first look at the cozy mystery series set in this Cat world :cat  the next 2 are a tad more expensive but not over the top.

I just kept thinking of you while I was reading it.

Darski, sounds like fun. I will have to look at my library just in case I can get them for free. I got some cassettes (remember those?) books at a library book sale a few years ago. One was called "The Cat Who Knew A Cardinal". It was a cute little mystery.

I just finished "The Martian" so I guess I can go see the movie now if I have time. There was a LOT of technical jargon in the book. I was listening to the audio version. I give it a 6 of 10. There were some funny bits.

Anyway, I think I have used up all of that pink/purple/green mill ends yarn. I made one more child's hat. I didn't think I would have enough for an adult hat, but it looks like I would have. I guess the leftover bit will be in a cat mat soon. So 1 adult hat, one child's hat and one scarf for that $5 worth of yarn. Not bad!!

post-13802-0-33641400-1444605136_thumb.jpg

Archived