Boxing Day CAL 2015 (charity items!)

babypoohsmom

Hello,

Just wanted to get the CAL open for the new year and welcome anyone who would like to join or drop in any time.

Last year I Googled Boxing Day and found a couple of different stories about how it began. Some believe it was the day that churches collected for the poor, and others that it was a day off given to servants with a box of food or gifts because most servants worked on Christmas Day.

Whatever the origin, we use the catchy name for our anything goes charity CAL. You can crochet, knit, sew, write letters to troops or nursing homes, or give your time and tell us all about it.  And just like any CAL, we love pictures. 

Last year people made: doll outfits, baby sets, afghans, prayer shawls, hats, squares to give to others to assemble, bird nests, and I make a lot of cat related items as I volunteer for two animal shelters in the metro Phoenix area.  We are here to celebrate every little bit that we can do for a person (or animal) who expects nothing.  And we support each other through our every day ups and downs.

Please join us when you can and tell us what you are doing.  It makes each of us a little happier when we know that our individual contributions are joined with so many others.

: ) Denise

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in too. I usually make chemo hats and send to Knots of Love. I haven't sent any in a while because I was busy with holiday crocheting/knitting so I'm ready to get going again on that in the new year. 

Welcome Bailey, Cshort and Randi!

Cshort, I forgot all about your wheelchair bags from last year! Did you ever post a picture? I don't think I have actually ever seen one. I should look up patterns.

I tried to make a minion hat for my 3 year old nephew for Christmas but it fits me. Oops. So I am not sure if I will put the eye on it or just put it in the charity pile as is. Either way, I guess I have my first hat for the new year! I will post a picture soon.

I'm in!  In the past I have done hats for those less fortunate in my area, and prayer shawls.  I'd like to add something new, maybe some cat blankets for local humane society.  Love all the great ideas everyone has come up with.  I will need to come up with a better way to keep track with everything I get done.

Darski, I was stuck in a loop when I went to look at the bunting dolls. Was there a pattern somewhere?

I've started the year with a few dish towels. Not much you can do with them for charity, but the pattern is in my head and I can watch football and make them at the same time.

A dear friend from work lost her husband in a helicopter accident last night so there has been a lot of calling and texting going on trying to decide what kind of help she will need and for how long, etc. She is such a sweet person that everyone is lined up to help. But for the first few days, all she wants is privacy. We need a game plan to keep our eye on her after the funeral and after the family goes home. She has siblings but no children. It's very sad. I might pass forward that prayer shawl I told you about...someone gave it to my mom before she passed and I didn't know what the tactful thing was to do with it.

Anyway, my head has been far away from crochet today.

But we have some new people and some great ideas so I think we're going to have another fantastic year.

I am so sorry for your loss.  It is so hard to deal with such tragedy - will pray for you and your friend.

If you PM Peggy, she will likely share her Bunting pattern with you

Darski, I was stuck in a loop when I went to look at the bunting dolls. Was there a pattern somewhere?

I've started the year with a few dish towels. Not much you can do with them for charity, but the pattern is in my head and I can watch football and make them at the same time.

A dear friend from work lost her husband in a helicopter accident last night so there has been a lot of calling and texting going on trying to decide what kind of help she will need and for how long, etc. She is such a sweet person that everyone is lined up to help. But for the first few days, all she wants is privacy. We need a game plan to keep our eye on her after the funeral and after the family goes home. She has siblings but no children. It's very sad. I might pass forward that prayer shawl I told you about...someone gave it to my mom before she passed and I didn't know what the tactful thing was to do with it.

But we have some new people and some great ideas so I think we're going to have another fantastic year.

So very sorry for the loss!! Will keep all y'all in my prayers!!

I'm sorry. I'll be praying for you and your friend.

I will be joining you on this cal.  I make baby blankets for St. Mary's Medical Center in Langhorne, Pa that are given out in the NICU.  I will be starting my first blanket for the new year tonight and will keep you all posted.

Hi Krazy, MissyAnn and Segi. Glad you are going to join us for Boxing Day fun this year.

My little Foster kittens go for surgery on Tuesday and to the shelter on Friday for adoption. Then the house will be a bit more quiet and I hope to get some crocheting done, and sewing too. We usually take about a month off between litters to give us and our cats a break.

Work will be busy for the next month until the darn super bowl is over.

I hope you are all keeping your fingers busy. Cshort, I do remember the wheelchair bags now that I see the picture again. Are they hard to make? My dad volunteers at a veterans home. I wonder if they could use them? He says most everyone is in wheelchairs there. I could use military fabric. Hmm, do you have a pattern or instructions you could share? Thanks.

Well I finished the Afghan for my friend and now I just started my first baby blanket for the babies. I do a c2c because they work up fast. Thanks for taking in the cats. I volunteer at Animal Lifeline in my area.

Well I finished the Afghan for my friend and now I just started my first baby blanket for the babies. I do a c2c because they work up fast. Thanks for taking in the cats. I volunteer at Animal Lifeline in my area.

If you like a change up from the c2c you might like the wobble ghan.  it goes very quickly and can be made in any size. I think I will try a baby size in that next.  It's finding the yarn to make it that takes the time :rofl

the CAL is here with the link to pattern.

Hi Krazy, MissyAnn and Segi. Glad you are going to join us for Boxing Day fun this year.

My little Foster kittens go for surgery on Tuesday and to the shelter on Friday for adoption. Then the house will be a bit more quiet and I hope to get some crocheting done, and sewing too. We usually take about a month off between litters to give us and our cats a break.

Work will be busy for the next month until the darn super bowl is over.

I hope you are all keeping your fingers busy. Cshort, I do remember the wheelchair bags now that I see the picture again. Are they hard to make? My dad volunteers at a veterans home. I wonder if they could use them? He says most everyone is in wheelchairs there. I could use military fabric. Hmm, do you have a pattern or instructions you could share? Thanks.

These are the instructions for the wheelchair bags I make, someone in the sewing guild group that I attend wrote these. 

Cut fabric 13" wide by 32" long.

Cut Velcro 9" to 10" long.

Fold over both ends of 13" sides 1" and stitch to hem.

Fold one end up 9" with right sides together and stitch sides with 1/2" seam allowance (this will be the pocket).

Turn to the right side and press. 

Narrow hem edges of single fabric to the top ends.

Attach Velcro "hooked" side across top hemmed edge.

Attach Velcro "smooth" side just above the pocket.

The top section will go over the wheelchair arm and fasten Velcro together.

I'd like to join this year please.  I crochet shawls and baby blankets for my church's shawl ministry group.  I've recently joined Outreach to Appalachia and hope to make scarves and hats and lapghans for them and maybe baby booties for Gifts for the Unborn.  I don't know if I'll be able to do everything, but it will be nice being a member of a like-minded group.

Thank you and God bless!

In in again.

Pics may be in even shorter supply this year. I can't find the software for my camera to load onto my new computer. That means I will have haul out the old one every time I want to do pictures. I'll keep looking though.

Just before the new year, I finished up the lapghan I was working on, so I'm up to ... 1  :lol

I said I was rolling all the One Pound into kits. I came up with 17, so I hope to get all those done as soon as possible. I feel like I've been trying to use up this One Pound for decades! I'll be glad to move on to the next on the hit list, but it's going to be a long time. They are almost all measured for V-st stripes. It was a production line and it was easiest to stick to one pattern. It will be boring, but I Will Be Strong And Determined and see this through. They should work up quickly.

Archived