Redheart Super Saver Changed?

lilygirl115

Question

In the past, Redheart Super Saver was my least favorite yarn. It seems to be very scratchy and stiff. But, recently, I wanted to make a Native American Blanket and I could only find the colors I wanted in RH so I went with it. I noticed the new skeins I bought were much softer than the old ones I had in my stash. And just recently I needed some lime green and bought RH and it is just as soft as the Love this Yarn I usually buy.

Is it just my imagination and some colors are just softer or have they changed?

9 answers to this question

For years I avoided Red Heart yarn like the plaque!  In fact I have 2 huge boxes of it away!  Now it's about all that I buy....love it again for some reason.  Maybe they have changed how they make it?  I don't know but it's great yarn for the value! 

I have found some of the newer colors are a tad softer. It seems like the variegated were the ones (at least to me) that were more scratchy.

It does wash up well and holds up and since I do a lot for charity, I tend to buy it the most, especially when it is on sale. Recently a couple of my Walmarts had it for $1.50. And I have been buying yarn at my Goodwill store also, a couple of weeks ago someone donated tons of yarn and quite a bit was Red Heart Super Saver (among others, in two weeks I picked up 129 skeins of yarn) at 89 cents a skein after rmy discount. Just bought Lion Brand Thick and Quick Chenille for 79 cents a skein.

I know a lot of people do not like Red Heart but I like it.

Roe

It IS softer.  If you have some old scratchy stuff DO NOT wash it as a skein.  It will never dry!!!  Tough it out, make whatever you're making and then wash it.

I had to throw away 10 skeins of yarn because I washed them as skeins and after 5 hours in the dryer, the middle was still wet.  Probably cost me more to run the dryer than it would to buy more yarn!  

If you can hold off and just wash your finished product, it'll dry in 20 minutes!

I've used RHSS (one of my fave brands) for as long as I can remember and there was a period of time a couple of years ago that it was not very good quality on many colors and styles but has gone through a major improvement on quality and softness. Am I ever grateful!

I agree. When i got the  first few skeins like that - ordered online - I just kept looking at it and feeling it, hardly able to believe it was RHSS. Like everyone else, I use it often. Right now I'm trying to work through some other brands I have, but it will always be the go to yarn for me for lapghans and afghans. However, the scatchy ones can be dreadful indeed. I have some old Williamsburg variegated that's like crocheting rope - really tough on the hands.

Let's hear it for new improved RR!

Archived