joining with a slip stitch???

bubblefizz

Question

when im working in rounds and you join to the 1st stitch with a slip stitch etc....

why does my end/begining rownd where the slip sticht is always goes wavy :think instead of a straight line, mine always no matter what goes to the right side :lol

i havnt got a clue why this keeps happening, and i always counrt the stitches to make sure:blush

12 answers to this question

i must admit i have noticed that when making hats in the round. seems to be something about joining in 3rd chain which takes it to the left. :hook hmmm will have to check this out myself too.

:think Your join will always appear to be a spiral if you are increasing. This is because of the make-up of the stitches.

The top of the stitch is never right over the stitch, it is always to one side.

This is just how crochet is.

Perfection is not necessary in crochet, enjoyment is so as Nike say, "Just do it!"

Have fun.

Colleen.:cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer

well mine seems to happen when im NOT increasing, im sure it isnt supposed to go like that!

No, that's actually right. The join stitch moves in a spiral when you're working in the round. Colleen explained it pretty well. :)

It could be that you are working int the wrong stitch at the beginning of the round, and inadvertantly adding a stitch, and then not going right to the end of the round so you always end up with the right number of stitches.

Depending on the stitch you are doing, if working straight as for a beanie, in DCs, the stitch you work into at the beginning of the round, is not the one immediately under the CH3, but if working in SCs I always do my firstSC right under the CH1 so I dont have to try to work into the CH1 when I get to the end of the round. :think Confused?:think

Can be a little tricky when you start but you know, everyone has the same problems when they learn, that is why we know how to help you out.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and read the script for the movie, working on the sequel.:clap :clap :clap

Have fun.

Colleen

My seam always spiralled around my hats too--which is why I never liked to make them--until I read this:

"To keep [the seamline] relatively straight, work one round beginning in the stitch right next to the chain and skip the last stitch, then work the next round by skipping the stitch right next to the chain, and working in the last stitch."

That is from the article "Crocheted Hats" in the first issue of Interweave Knits Crochet that came out last year. There is no author for the article that I can attribute the quote to, but it stated the pattern was based on one of Diane Evenson's. This makes a seam that slightly zigzags but does not spiral.

The pattern in the article used hdc for the hats. I don't think that would make a difference though. And now I like to make hats!

Funny, that basic hat (mentioned by jenhen) from that Interweave Crochet issue was the first hat I tried to make. The pattern and directions were really good.

I didn't quite understand what she was talking about "avoid the seam" until I read this thread. Thanks to those directions and after much FROG (ging) I was happy with the transitions and color changes.

Problems with increasing though caused my basic hat to become a beret.

Making LOTS of mistakes is helping me learn.

Oh joy - an added pleasure of crochet - I feel like a kid again!

You can get a "straight" seam, by working your first st into the bottom of you beginning ch on each round. But if you do this you need to skip the very last stitch of each round, so that you do not add stitches. It will not be entirely "perfectly" straight, but it will not spiral around your project, which can be important if you are doing a stocking or something like that. I find if I pull the slip stitch tight then I don't really have a gap, even missing that last stitch. Let me know if it isn't clear and I can do some rows and take some pictures to post.

Archived