Speed with crocheting

Rachel Firestone

Question

I learned crochet by watching youtube videos. I'm baffled by how quickly some of these people can crochet. I can't do it very fast right now because my yarn over does not glide through my loops like I see everyone else's in their vids. I have to pull through one loop at a time so my 4 worsted weight yarn doesn't fray and I don't lose any of the threads. I'm guessing it's because my tension, but if I did it any looser, it wouldn't come out so pretty. (I actually kinda like my work to be nice and snug.)

But I was wondering how long it took all of you to gain speed in your work.

19 answers to this question

I completely agree about the correct hook size for the yarn being used.

Another suggestion; Maybe you are not pulling the hook through the stitch at the right angle. This

on youtube may help. It's in slow motion and is showing how it should flow through. (at about 1:48 into the video)

I have notice I am very slow crocheting w/ plastic hooks vs metal and prefer metal hooks....Also some brands of metal hooks are different in the HOOK area vs the rest of the product I have a hook that is like a L hook and it is chunky at the hook area and stubby & hard to crochet with but I bought a different brand using coupons (p.s. girl make sure you use coupons to get your yarn and hook supplies it saves you lots of $$) the design is more open & larger and much easier to work w...:O)

That's funny! Keep searching on this. You will figure it out with all the great help on here. And practicing of course- that's your best friend.

BTW- Very cute baby in your photo.

ReniC, that's the video I learned how to crochet with & I made that dishcloth lol

Everyone works at their own tension and speed. I am a fast crocheter and find that Susan Bate hooks are better for me, the yarn flows better and it doesn't catch as much as Boye hooks. I have been crocheting since I was a pre-teen (now am 62, oh no, LOL) so it has been a while.

It is a matter of practice but just remember, everyone is different, eventually you will find your own pace and what you are comfortable doing. Just have fun and it will fall into place.

Roe

I so much agree with you Granny Square.  :waving  I made a cotton granny afghan, and while I love the outcome, it was such a chore to make it and I used a much larger hook.  I used an H.  I have heard from other members that I Love This Yarn cotton is much softer and easier to work with.

It's funny, after I finished my cotton granny, I started a new project and flew through it because it was soft acrylic yarn. :) 

Cotton is a very unforgiving yarn (no stretch) compared to acrylic or wool, it is harder to work with even with the right sized hook. It's not just you - anyone would find it tough to work with that combination (E hook & kitchen cotton) unless they had very loose tension I think.

It's common for new crocheters to have a tight tension.  This is handy for some things (potholders, toys) but it's nice to be able to create a looser, drapey fabric for wearables & blankets for example.

An E hook makes a nice tight stitch with Peaches and Cream but it really is too small for the cotton yarn.  It calls for an H but I usually use a G with it.

One thing that can help is to rub the hook down with waxed paper to make it glide easier.

It sounds to me like there may be a mismatch between your yarn and your hook.  What yarn exactly are you using, and what type and size of hook?  By any chance are you using yarn that has been used before?  

I'm using a 4 weight peaches & cream variegated yarn with an E hook (probably my problem because the skein says US 7 or H/8). And it's a new skein, btw. But even when I have matching hook and yarn, it still doesn't glide

Some yarns work up more smoothly without separating than others do. And as Kathy mentioned the weight of the yarn and hook size makes a difference. And of course, speed comes from practice, too.

It sounds to me like there may be a mismatch between your yarn and your hook.  What yarn exactly are you using, and what type and size of hook?  By any chance are you using yarn that has been used before?  

Archived