Major Project in the Works

CatsCradleCreations

My husband and I are looking to buy or build our own house within the next 2 years and I have already started planning the wall decor for the bedrooms.

I'm going to "paint" the walls with freeform! Every room except the kitchen (don't want grease all over my art) will eventually have freeform covered walls. I'll sketch my murals on canvas first and then work the scrumbles to make my decor. The finished canvas (with scrumbles sewn on) will be attached to the wall using heavy duty staples.

My husband is very supportive of this wild endeavor of mine and is willing to help me shop for canvas and yarns to use! :manyheart He sees it as a way for me to use up my stash while nurturing creativity. :devil

That sounds like a tremendous undertaking! I think it will look absolutely beautiful when you're done -- sort of like abstracted versions of the tapestries hung in castles! (art major, it's an illness). I can't wait to see photos of your progress! :hook

Wow! Please keep us posted. I have a large wall in my living room where I show my scrumbles. I covered a bunch of pizza boxes (unused, hehehe) with a deep midnight blue polar fleece & hung them on the wall, then pin my scrumbles up. Kind of an ever changing exhibit:)

Alosha

A scrumble is simply a piece of crochet/knit/sewing stitches that you've done without a pattern. You just pick up your tools and let the creativity flow. You can combine them as you go, or you can sew them together later.

For this project, I'll be sewing the scrumbles onto the canvas before hanging it on the walls.

It truly sounds exciting and wonderful, but...

may I ask a dumb question?

How would you clean such a thing?

and:

How would you protect it from fading/sundamage etc.

(I know - two questions)

:lol Now, why didn't I think of that?:think

Oh silly. Sundamage and fading will be part of the fun! I mean, can't you imagine having the challenge of replacing the parts of it that get mucked up? It's an excuse to BUY MORE YARN!! :hook

It truly sounds exciting and wonderful, but...

may I ask a dumb question?

How would you clean such a thing?

and:

How would you protect it from fading/sundamage etc.

(I know - two questions)

Well....cleaning would be with a drape spray-type cleaner (I think Febreze makes one now) and protecting it from the sun....well, that gives me a good excuse to sew matching curtains for each room! :devil

Also, I only plan on canvasing the top portion of the walls. The wall will be divided with a piece of trim and painted on the bottom in a coordinating color of washable paint. :devil

Archived