How many do you do this?

Always! I do it more to avoid any unwanted headaches of running into knots or any other issues that sometimes hide in the skeins. I much prefer to be able to deal with that stuff before I start a project, so that my flow doesn't get interrupted while I am working. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I pull from the center on all my skeins. I generally make cakes with the leftover part of a skein, I don't cake a full skein, as winder can only do a few ounces. But I do love my yarn winder, hubby gave it to me for birthday this year. I spent a whole day making cakes......

I pull from the center on all my skeins. I generally make cakes with the leftover part of a skein, I don't cake a full skein, as winder can only do a few ounces. But I do love my yarn winder, hubby gave it to me for birthday this year. I spent a whole day making cakes......

I did the same thing when I first got my yarn winder!  (But those cakes are really hard to spread icing on, aren't they? :P )

Right now I roll any leftover yarn into balls and then put it into a Snapware container so it is contained and doesn't try to escape as I am crocheting with it. I haven't gotten around to getting a yarn winder just yet.

Roe

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

When I'm working with a new skein of yarn I usually pull the end from the center and I don't have to worry about my yarn getting tangled.  But after I've finished my project, I take the extra and run it though my yarn winder.  I can't imaging working any crochet project with out using a center pull.  It just seems to go much smoother.   

Archived