Is my scarf too wide?

hapahaolegirl

Question

I'm making this scarf for my husband, he's not a big man so I'm wondering if this scarf is too wide? I'm using Wool Ease Chunky so the scarf is also a bit stiff as well. I'm doing it all in hdc. Should I make it smaller? Is there a better stich I could use? Right now it measures about 7" wide. I just want to make sure he'll wear it. If it doesn't fit him well he won't wear it at all.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/turkeybat/IMG_7684.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Kristen

14 answers to this question

i've made scarves this wide before for myself, extra long so as to make a sort of big cowl effect when wrapped loosely around. but i think it might be too wide for a man; i just made one for my best man friend, and i opted for thinner rather than wider and he seemed to really like it. but if winters where you are are anything like the ones we have here in nebraska, your husband might be glad for the extra warmth. :)

I was wondering if using a bigger hook would make it softer. How much bigger should I use? I'm using K right now. The biggest hook I currently own is an N but I could go out and get a bigger one if I need to. I usually just use whatever hook the skein of yarn tells me to since I'm still new to this I'm still not sure how all of this works.

I will redo this to make it more pliable but first I'll wait until my hubby comes home to see what he thinks of the width.

Thanks again!

ok, i just had this same problem with 2 scarves i just made...the pattern i had called for doing them in double crochet stitches, but i wanted a "knitted" look...so i did them in the moss or seed stitch. http://crochet.about.com/library/blmoss_stitch.htm?terms=moss+stitch

i also realized i was making them too wide, so i redid one to 5 1/2 inches wide (for one sister that wanted it thinner) and left the other at 7 inches wide (for the other sister who didnt care). i do think that a man would want them on the thinner side, as the thicker scarf looks more "luxurious" to me...but its all about his individual tastes though.

:cheer I would say the width would depend on the weight of the yarn. A lightweight yarn can be wider as it will scrunch down nicely aound the neck, whereas a heavier yarn will not so may be uncomfortable to wear.

Have fun.

Colleen

ok, i just had this same problem with 2 scarves i just made...the pattern i had called for doing them in double crochet stitches, but i wanted a "knitted" look...so i did them in the moss or seed stitch. http://crochet.about.com/library/blmoss_stitch.htm?terms=moss+stitch

Is that what that stitch is called? I've been doing that stitch for years and never knew the name of it. LOL

Archived