A Golden Jubilee year

I've just realized that I am in my 60th year of crochet.  Wow :eek  how did that happen :rofl

I am more amazed at how crochet has changed since I started making little roses for that 50's fave - Irish crochet potholders.

I'm just wondering if others have noticed how crochet has changed and if so; how?

I think the biggest change I have seen is the fact that every mother/housewife I knew 'of course' knitted and/or crocheted.  It was just a part of life.  it now seems to be a special skill acquired by aficionados.

Ooh, thanks for that link-lovely stuff!  And congratulations on your Golden Jubilee!

So true (and sad) that crochet and knitting aren't so much a given any more, like cooking from scratch.  "Why bother" for many.  I crocheted and knitted some wedding and more recently, baby shower items for my niece-in-law, she appreciated them but when I offered to teach her how, she politely wrinkled her nose and said "no thanks it takes too long".

One thing that's changed, when I learned to crochet around 1970, every other pattern seemed to be a granny square! 

wow, congratZ!!    I remember long ago when i first knew I wanted to crochet, and it was because of an afghan my best friends grandma had on the bed, when we stayed over a weekend, it was of course white, with red irish roses in the center! Thanks for bringing that back to the forefront of my mind, it is the first time i KNEW i would crochet and not too many years later, i taught myself and haven't stopped since! I believe it is something that is born in us, comes down through the genes and generations before us, and it isnt' hard to imagine sitting in a log cabin, in front of a crackling fire, and making warm woolen outerwear for children.. Whatever it is in us, Im glad I have it.     congratz again, 60 years, sheesh!    

I can remember my Mom and her friends sitting and talking while they knitted crocheted and tatted.  If I remember there was also one who embroidered.

It sure has changed and I think for the better.  There are so many patterns and stitches and beautiful things made now and we still cling to some of the old.

I do agree that our options for crochet are much greater now but part of me misses the ubiquitous nature of all the home crafts.

OTOH I would not give up my internet and Crochetville for a 1,000 more crocheters. :rofl

My mom didn't crochet or knit, but she did quilting and embroidery.  I had a dear Aunt who crocheted and I loved her doilies and such.  Such delicate thread things!  Then in the seventies she began to order afghan kits and made some beauties.  I didn't see her very often, but she was so pleased when I took up the hook and yarn, and praised my mediocre skills to the everyone. :heart  Maybe crocheting does run in the family. I've been at it now for around 40 years.

I was never around anyone that crocheted or knitted.  It was a woman I had met at work.  We become good friends and I loved watching her make things.  I was 19 at the time and she is the one you taught me.  I realized that no matter how stressed I was, crocheting always made things calm, even when I had to pull out all the stiches over and over, LOL.

Congratulations on your Jubilee :elle

I don't remember my grandmother and mother NOT crocheting and knitting regularly. They always had projects going. And that doesn't even count the sewing, embroidery, needlepoint and quilting.

Congratulations on your Jubilee!!!

One of my grandmothers was a wonderful crocheter and I loved the wonderful things she made me. I particularly remember the red poncho she made me that I adored!  Unfortunately, I had no interest in learning, and she passed when I was 15, but there must be something in the genes because 5 years ago I decided  I wanted to learn how to crochet and I haven't looked back since! Often times, I find myself thinking about my Grandma when I'm 'hooking'.

Archived