yarn color suggestions

http://www.herrschners.com/product/Herrschners+2012+AwardWinning+Knit+Afghans+Book.aspx?dsearch=440012&k=440012

I would like to make this Sunflower afghan.  

Looking to use Red Heart  super saver & classic.

Pattern calls for: black, burgundy, light sage, magenta, medium sage, orange, red, dark sage, gold.

Can find light & dark sage - no medium sage.

Can only come up with Hot Red, cherry red or jockey red.

Magenta - can only find in 'chunky'

Any suggestions anyone??  Even if I have to sub another brand for some of the colors?

Thanks for any help!  :yes

Strangely, I just came across the same problem with an old pattern, which called for those three sage colors in Red Heart and couldn't find medium sage. In my case, I had enough old medium sage for some of the pattern, and subbed Loops & Threads Grass along with some RH Medium Thyme I already had. However, if you check out Loops and Threads (Michaels), you'll find there are three shades of green that you might be able to sub Soft Fern, Fern, and Forest. And, actually, one of those red shades -- in the picture at least -- looks a bit like L&T Rouge. I'm subbing that for Magenta, because I already had some and didn't want to buy more. You could check out Vanna's Choice as well for a somewhat reasonably priced yarn for some of the other colors. I don't think you'll have to get exactly the same colors to have a great-looking version of the pattern.

Here's the thing I'm working on:

http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Award-Winning-Field-Of-Flowers-Crochet-Afghan-Pattern/97223063

Your sunflower afghan looks challenging to me, and  is sure to look spectacular. Please let us see a picture of it when it's done.

I don't think there is a medium sage. There is a medium thyme. The sages have a tad more blue, the thyme is a bit more to the brown, but I have used them in sequence. Another possibility would be tea leaf/medium thyme/dark sage. The dark sage is very dark. The tea leaf blends a little better with the thyme, I think, than the light sage and should be ok with the dark sage.

For the reds, you could probably substitute ranch red for burgundy - it has a touch more brown, but not much. As for the "red" hot red is fire engine red. I think jockey red is too, but I'm at work and don't have color samples here with me. Cherry red is a nice rich, almost Christmas red, but may not give much contrast with the ranch red. It would be good if you could see them together. 

Magenta will be harder to substitute in RH. Light raspberry? Shocking pink? You would really need to see them against the other colors. 

Bernat Super Value has colors that might be useful. Joann.com carries it, though I don't know if they have all the colors. I have used it with RHSS, and the apperance (relative size, fuzziness etc) seems to blend with it better than some other worsted brands, such as ILTY that seems to me to be thinner, smoother.

This may not help, but maybe it will be a start.

• 3 weeks later...

It's really pretty, but I don't knit. If it were a crochet pattern, I would put a blue "sky" behind the sunflowers and skip the squares around the outside. I hardly ever use the colors shown in patterns. Just pick greens and reds that look good together. Others have made some fine suggestions. Good luck.

Archived