fabric stiffener question

Afghaniac

4 hours ago, Lacycrochet said:

So just another note on that Epsom salt/water 50/50 stiffener recipe.  As we know it was a fail so I washed it.  Well, it also took the colour out of that doily so I threw it out.  I didn't think it would be possible to discolour ecru to such an ugly shade of tan but it did.  So folks, run very far from that recipe. NCcountrygal has a successful recipe for home made starch that she is happy with so I personally will be trying that next.

Maybe take the doily out of the trash and try dying it????  Whenever I use unfamiliar formulas or cleaning products on my crochet work, I make little square test swatches from leftover thread/yarn and use those to check for shrinkage and discoloration.

Edited by ReniC
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ReniC said:

Maybe take the doily out of the trash and try dying it????  Whenever I use unfamiliar formulas or cleaning products on my crochet work, I make little square test swatches from leftover thread/yarn and use those to check for shrinkage and discoloration.

I thought with my original post you suggested drying it, so this is the edited response.  Should really wear my glasses more often.  No, I didn't want to go through the mess of dying it.   That is a good idea about the test swatch.

Edited by Lacycrochet
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2013 at 6:18 PM, greyhoundgrandma said:

For snowflake ornaments and bookmarks I've used liquid starch.

years ago that was very hard ti find in Va. I remember it from NY but people down here said they never heard of it, they must use more natural items

• Like 1

• 8 months later...