How many times to you try before saying, "To heck with it!"?

tiniree

Question

I bought an amigurumi pattern to make for my husbands birthday, which was April 13th!   I've done these types or projects before and thought I would have no problem with this.

Well, I am having a huge problem!  This ami has several pieces to make before sewing them together.  I have all the pieces made except for the two main pieces, tires.  I have made & re-made these 5 times and still can't get them correct, in either gauge or look.

How many times do you try a pattern before giving up and doing something else?

10 answers to this question

I don't have patience with confusing (to me) patterns.  I would give it maybe a cople of tries.  Then I would probably just wing it and shoot for something that looks like the photo or whatever my goal was when I chose the pattern.  

For an ami I wouldn't worry at all about gauge. the pieces do need to be a certain size to fit together but I wouldn't worry about how many stitches it took me to reach that size.  

I would never keep remaking pieces at this point. Something may have been left out of the pattern. Sometimes entire Rows or Rounds are left out of patterns.

I would just make them how you think they should look. I always write down changes, so if I like the finished product and think I might make it again in the future, I won't be stuck at the same point again.

Most times if the pattern seems a little confusing, I write each line down on paper, It seems to make it easier.

Now I will try it several times, but If I have trouble, I will put it aside, working on something else till I have relaxed and are ready to tackle it again.

Be sure to put it where you can see it. :D 

Most times if the pattern seems a little confusing, I write each line down on paper, It seems to make it easier.

Now I will try it several times, but If I have trouble, I will put it aside, working on something else till I have relaxed and are ready to tackle it again.

Be sure to put it where you can see it. :D 

Ha!  My husband won't let me forget it :eek

I don't, I will not let the pattern win. LOL.

It's funny you should bring this up today. I was at a hobby club meeting this morning and was trying to work a pattern from RedHeart that my friend had trouble with it and she had put it down. I had problems, ripped it out once, ripped it out twice, then said I will wait till I got home. I want to check for any corrections first, then will try it again. I have learned it is easier to any problem down, walk away and then come back to it. Sometimes, I will also "wing" it, depending on the pattern.

Good luck, just don't get discouraged. It will eventually work out.

LI Roe

For me, I had to win.  I made a Charlie Brown and Snoopy crocheted afgan from a counted cross stitch pattern.  It to 10 months with 5 major rip outs of over 30 rows and an untold amount of small ripouts of less that 10 rows.  But I was going to make it.  Mostly I was told I couldn't do it so GAME ON!  How tough are you?  How angry are you?  How crazy are you?  Me VERY!  I made it and I will NEVER do a project like that again

It depends on the deadline for me.  Once during a shawl swap I thought I had THE PERFECT pattern for my partner!  But either there was a mistake or I just couldn't figure it out.  :(  So I ended up making something that was IMO much less spectacular.  :(  Learned my lesson though!  LOL!

I don't try very hard. The world is full of wonderful patterns that work. Or, at least, that work for me. So I won't waste much time fiddling with a pattern that doesn't seem to be working at all.

Now yarn tangles - that's another matter. That's a matter of principle! I will get those worked out  no matter how long it takes - LOL!

I find that if a pattern is not working for me, I have been careless reading the pattern, almost assuming what comes next.  I stop, slow down and crochet as I read each instruction.  One step at a time.  Or the pattern could be wrong.

Archived