If you love stitch symbol diagrams

(let me say this up front: thanks to numerous previous discussions, I am well aware that many people do not like symbol diagrams and never use them.  If you are of this opinion, please feel free to simply ignore this thread  ;) )

But for those of us who DO enjoy working from diagrams, I wanted to point out 2 books that I have recently become aware of.  The first, which is available now, is actually a translation of a Japanese book.  the title is Crochet with Color http://www.amazon.com/Crochet-With-Color-Contemporary-Projects/dp/1440320330/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1DE7DOWRT2O7W&coliid=I3TEGIMKMX7SNR

The text is in English, and all of the patterns are in diagram form.  The projects are indeed colorful and very appealing.  Japanese crochet books are so beautiful, and seem to be fairly popular among crocheters outside of Japan, so I hope we will see more of these translated books.

The second is Doris Chan's newest book, which is not available until May, but there is an extensive "look inside" on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Convertible-Crochet-Customizable-Designs-Garments/dp/0307965708/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1367095144&sr=1-1&keywords=convertible+crochet

I think the top on the cover, on the left, is just gorgeous....been drooling over that one for months now  :lol   I couldn't think why the title is "convertible" until i saw the inside pages, the evolution of the motif just blows me away!  I can't wait for this one to come out, so I can read all about Doris' thoughts on the variations of the designs.  

So, my fellow/sister symbol lovers, what do you think of these books?  Any other great new symbol books coming out that we should look at?

I should note that Convertible Crochet does include the patterns in written form, as far as I can see in the Amazon preview, so i assume that everything in the book is written as well as diagrammed. 

While I am not a fan of diagram crochet, I still had to read your thread and it was very interesting. I just find, for me, it takes longer to figure out what stitch is what and I envy those who can pick it up very easily.

Doris Chan's book is wonderful, as long as there are written instructions, I am seriously considering adding it to my library of books.

Thanks for sharing.

LI Roe

I have checked out Crochet with Color from the library and I think i will buy it, or put it on my "wish list" for birthday present ideas when my family asks what I want.

I think i am going to have to buy Convertible Crochet as soon as it comes out, don't think I will be able to wait any longer than that ;-)

The Crochet with Color is a bright and exciting book.  But, I totally love the doily-like patterns of Doris Chan's Convertible Crochet.  I already have two of her books and have made a couple of her "exploded lace" items.  Might just have to break open my piggy bank and buy this new book.  The preview patterns are lovely.

Archived