when "donating baby hats" questions.......

first off I couldn't find the right place to ask this, so sorry if this isn't it.  :blink 

I am making tiny baby hats, where is the best place or needed place to send them too?

Does it matter what color these hats are?  is it ok to make them in bright colors too?  I've seen some with pompoms now, so are halloween/christmas colors ok too?

Also--am I supposed to wash everything before donating it? even if its not dirty? I thought I would and bag up everything in big baggies.

this is something I've wanted to do for a few years, I've tried to find the answer to my questions but  haven't been able to find the right site.

thanks for any help...... :manyheart 

Our church has a Layette Ministry to help the local charity hospital. We knit and crochet hats to be included in the gift packages. As we are mostly all in the Prayer Shawl Ministry, we use many of the same guidelines. We use acrylics (washable), almost any color is fine, we wash them in a mild detergent (esp those w/pets) and bag up immediately out of the dryer w/a ziploc bag. Almost any size is used, as babies come in all sizes, they told us that hats w/a bit of a stretch work best. In Nov, we make purple hats, to publicize "shaken baby syndrome", and every baby goes home w/a purple hat and a flyer about the syndrome. The hats are so much fun to make, they use up all my odds and ends, and are so portable and easy to work on!

I make baby hats and donate to my local hospital, my niece is a delivery nurse there, I don't wash them, but am very careful to keep the yarn and area I crochet in, very clean. I do all colors, my niece says they let mothers pick and the brights go over as well as pastels. I have about a hundred I made the last two months while we've been in az for the winter, will deliver them when we get home in about two weeks, still cold in oregon so they will be appreciated.

I tried to find the link to this article, but couldn't so I'm sending the whole article.  It's really a lot of great information!  Sorry it's so lengthy! 

Preemie NICU Clothing Information

written by Maureen, NJ © 2007 - All Rights Reserved 

ADMIN NOTE: While we appreciate the desire to share the information, posting the entire article here without permission of the copyright holder is copyright infringement and could cause legal trouble for Crochetville. I've replaced the text of the article with a link to the article. The article is full of useful information, so please click the link and read the article on its original website. Thanks for helping us keep Crochetville free from legal issues. --Amy

You can call the volunteer coordinator at your local hospital, they can tell you what they need. Our local hospital has it listed online, so you might start with google and see what you find. I found another place that really needed donations badly when I was chatting with the nurse at the Dr's office..

It's nice to help out those little places that really depend on donations and appreciate what you do for them, so ask around. Perhaps your local health department or the school nurse can give you a lead, they usually have a good pulse on what's going on in the community.

Our hospital always needs hats, they can be almost any baby size, in white or neutral colors. I know they use pretty little sweater sets, too, sometimes these young gals have nothing, so it's nice they can send the new Mom and her baby home bundled in a pretty sweater, hat and matching blanket.

Quote from Avon Lady -""I tried to find the link to this article, but couldn't so I'm sending the whole article.  It's really a lot of great information!  Sorry it's so lengthy!"'

This was a great article, got me thinking, for sure, about the colors of yarn I'm using. I've always been worried, too, about baby toes and fingers getting caught in the holes of the blankets I give as baby gifts, so I guess I'll continue to warn these new Moms to watch for that.

This article gives us a lot to think about....

• 2 weeks later...

The article was easy to find using google and the title:  Number 1 on the results list

Here is the link:

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/preemie-clothing-tips.html

I tried to find the link to this article, but couldn't so I'm sending the whole article.  It's really a lot of great information!  Sorry it's so lengthy! 

Preemie NICU Clothing Information

written by Maureen, NJ © 2007 - All Rights Reserved 

What i did, was call around, see whom was collecting. I know the nicu's at the hospitals can answer your questions, and the emergency pregnancy centers are happy to help with questions and happier to receive some hats, booties, and afghans, as well as other baby things the girls can use. They work towards their goals, and are rewarded with points to "spend " in the store there. All good causes, nice article, read it somewhere before too, thanks for the info!

first off I couldn't find the right place to ask this, so sorry if this isn't it.  :blink

I am making tiny baby hats, where is the best place or needed place to send them too?

This is a link to one of my "Charities of Choice". 

I hope you will consider Period of Purple Crying - a wonderful educational outreach for new parents -

In case you ever get bored, I often use the hats for swatching or for practicing stitch motifs

Archived