My "practice" blanket

CindysSweetThings

While moving, I came across my "special boxes" from my childhood and found a particularly special yarn object. You see, my grandmother was an expert crocheter but she died when I was 8 before she could pass it on to me. Thankfully, my mom knew some basics and taught me when we inherited all of my grandma's needlecrafting notions. Below is a pic of the result of my lessons, my "practice blanket".

The bottom teal rows are all sc. Notice that the first few rows are ultra tight! The brown rows are hdc and the blue-and-white varigated is dc. The white has various stitches including ch spaces, long dc, and ruffles. It has been fun looking back at work I did 21 years ago! I thought you ladies would appreciate the nostalgia too :)

post-48303-135897770571_thumb.jpg

oh that is so cool and so special Cindy!

Just this past week, I pulled out all I had left of my grandma teaching me to knit, at age 8. I made some potholders, probably pulled out more than I ever finished, but in the end, all that was left, is this small ball of the yarn she got especially for me, it's Red Heart Oranges, I think discontinued, but oh what memories, I keep it in a zip lock, in a small zipped case, in a drawer, but got it out to show my sister, and she recognized it as well as "meemo's" what a wonderful memory we both have, never get rid of that! I take it out now and then and just hold it, remembering.................RIP mee mo!

Archived