Crochet!~ Nov. 2005 issue

PLCdesigns

Well let be negative for you then...:)

It wasn't a very good edition. WAAAYYY too much Fun Fur in there. I really hope the Mancho doesn't catch on. That particular freeform jacket looks a little like someone had an upset stomach.

I thought the baby set was sweet, I'd make that. And the little girls poncho I liked too. I'm torn on the bathrobe.

I also really liked the freebie pattern in the Bernat ad. And I wish the poncho in the Caron Fabulous ad and the NY Yarns ad had patterns.

It was ok but the fun fur just left me with a negative impression. I had to look again this morning to realize there were things in there I liked. If I'd seen it in the store I'd never have purchased it.

I got mine yesterday. It was my first issue, I was a little dissappointed,:think I didn't see one thing in there I would take the time to make. Except one item in an ad. Hope the next one is better.

Oh and I wont say what my DH had to say about the jacket. :lol

I just received this issue last night! Ehh! any thoughts about it? I promised not to be negative again.

Oh, I'm disappointed as I just sent in my subscription card. Sigh!!! Oh well!!!

I haven't seen it yet but I am just not a big fan of fun fur yarn. It's okay and I've made a couple scarfs but it's just not my thing, you know. :yawn

I got mine last Friday. I was already ticked off at my mail carrier, who had managed to shred the cover of the magazine by overstuffing my mailbox yet AGAIN. :angry Of course, the big stack of unsolicited catalogs wrapped inside it remained in perfect condition! :rolleyes

Frankly, I was also disappointed in this issue, though to be fair I haven't really given it more than a quick once-over, been too busy lately. Maybe I'll look again tomorrow during a few of my breaks.

Okay, on a somewhat related note, I just have to say this...

(RANT WARNING!)

What IS it with all these yarn companies and their furry yarns this year??? Everywhere I go yarn shopping, I am confronted with huge selections of the stuff and seemingly not a whole lot else! I walk into a craft shop and my vision gets fuzzy, there's so much of it, sheesh! And of course, it seems like nearly every advertisement in every knit and crochet magazine has to have it as a major component of every pattern they present. In my (maybe) not-so-humble opinion, a little of that stuff goes a long way. I sure don't want EVERY project I make to feature it! Can we say "gone overboard" girls and boys? Did their marketing departments lose their minds? I honestly can't believe there are hoards of knitters and crocheters out there stampeding for the furry projects to the near exclusion of all else. And the magazines sure don't need to be encouraging this behavior! Of course, they may feel like there's little choice if they want to keep those advertising dollars rolling in, but still...

:soap Okay, jumping down now. I just had to get that off my chest after visiting my local Hobby Lobby on the way home from work, to be confronted with an aisle and a half, plus 3 aisle-end displays and one middle of the floor free-standing, featuring nothing but fur in every conceivable color and fuzziness! :irk:sigh

I say equal time for the non-furry yarns!

amen sister lol

I got mine last Friday. I was already ticked off at my mail carrier, who had managed to shred the cover of the magazine by overstuffing my mailbox yet AGAIN. :angry Of course, the big stack of unsolicited catalogs wrapped inside it remained in perfect condition! :rolleyes

Frankly, I was also disappointed in this issue, though to be fair I haven't really given it more than a quick once-over, been too busy lately. Maybe I'll look again tomorrow during a few of my breaks.

Okay, on a somewhat related note, I just have to say this...

(RANT WARNING!)

What IS it with all these yarn companies and their furry yarns this year??? Everywhere I go yarn shopping, I am confronted with huge selections of the stuff and seemingly not a whole lot else! I walk into a craft shop and my vision gets fuzzy, there's so much of it, sheesh! And of course, it seems like nearly every advertisement in every knit and crochet magazine has to have it as a major component of every pattern they present. In my (maybe) not-so-humble opinion, a little of that stuff goes a long way. I sure don't want EVERY project I make to feature it! Can we say "gone overboard" girls and boys? Did their marketing departments lose their minds? I honestly can't believe there are hoards of knitters and crocheters out there stampeding for the furry projects to the near exclusion of all else. And the magazines sure don't need to be encouraging this behavior! Of course, they may feel like there's little choice if they want to keep those advertising dollars rolling in, but still...

:soap Okay, jumping down now. I just had to get that off my chest after visiting my local Hobby Lobby on the way home from work, to be confronted with an aisle and a half, plus 3 aisle-end displays and one middle of the floor free-standing, featuring nothing but fur in every conceivable color and fuzziness! :irk:sigh

I say equal time for the non-furry yarns!

Oh, I'm disappointed as I just sent in my subscription card. Sigh!!! Oh well!!!

I haven't seen it yet but I am just not a big fan of fun fur yarn. It's okay and I've made a couple scarfs but it's just not my thing, you know. :yawn

Last issue was really good I thought. And I like the mag enough that I will renew my subscription. It was just this issue that had so much fun fur. Maybe you'll luck out and they wont start sending yours until the next issue comes out.

I got mine yesterday too. I only had a chance to glance through it as I got dinner ready but my overall impression was ehh. Great minds I guess. But to those of you who are considering or have just ordered the magazine, I say don't worry. They have good issues and bad issues. Last year they did a whole series of thread flowers - if you aren't a threadie then maybe you won't care but the flowers were great. They looked just as they should, like real flowers. They have cute stuff in every issue, but maybe you have to change some yarn around and alter the colors. I will resubscribe when the time comes with no worries.

Went to Barnes & Noble last night... Saw the magazine and put it back!:thumbdown I was not impressed and I too am tired of all the furry yarn.:yawn I love it but I say bring back the good old days!! you know before the fur!! So I came home w/no magazine:( . Even the yarn stores are full of furry fuzzy stuff , where is all the regular yarn?:think Sorry for rambling!!:D

I agree with origami--I want my Cotton Ease!!! I made my niece a fun fur scarf for Christmas and she's 13, she'll probably love it. I hated working with it and I never will again (unless she asks). None of my grown-up friends like fun fur, either. Just not our schtick--guess we're to middle aged and boring! ;) Patty

I agree with origami--I want my Cotton Ease!!! I made my niece a fun fur scarf for Christmas and she's 13, she'll probably love it. I hated working with it and I never will again (unless she asks). None of my grown-up friends like fun fur, either. Just not our schtick--guess we're to middle aged and boring! ;) Patty

I would prefer to think of us as... More mature and sophisticated!!:rofl With discriminating taste!:laughroll:sofunny I would never describe us as boring!;)

Ok, I finally got mine. I agree that there is waaaaaayyyyy too much fur in the issue!!! I do however like the Ruffled Holiday Scarf, but then again I'm a sucker for things like that. The Psychedlic Stripes afghan looked pretty neat too, but I haven't been brave enough to try an afghan yet. I'm afraid I'd get bored halfway through and just never finish it.

Well I sat down and really went thru the magazine again and I truly tried to keep an open mind. I decided that I might possible make the Purple pizzazz wrap but not high on my list. So probably will never get made by me. I do like the Newborn gift set. the robe for me was also marginal. But nothing else made my blood rush, and my hand didn't want to reach for a hook and get busy.

As for all the fur yarn, I agree way too much. We need balance in our choices. I would like to see more interest created by the stitches themselves and not let my choice of yarn carry the whole piece.

Ok, I finally got mine. I agree that there is waaaaaayyyyy too much fur in the issue!!! I do however like the Ruffled Holiday Scarf, but then again I'm a sucker for things like that. The Psychedlic Stripes afghan looked pretty neat too, but I haven't been brave enough to try an afghan yet. I'm afraid I'd get bored halfway through and just never finish it.

I really liked the Holiday scarf too but I know that right now the ruffled scarf is pretty popular and there are free patterns all over for it. I guess I just don't think it's different enough from all the rest of the ruffled scarf patterns to make me happy to see it in a magazine I paid for. I want to see something everyone isn't making yet.

You should try a lapghan. Or a petghan. Then you can see the pattern and give an afghan a try but you don't have to commit to a really large project.

Archived