Need a Mentor? Want to Be a Mentor? Look Here!

Are you in need of a business mentor for your indie crochet- or fiber-related business?

Would you like to be a mentor to another business?

Great! We can all help each other be successful in the crochet and fiber arts industry! Remember, there are to be no charges for your services. This mentor program is all in the spirit of cheerful cooperation and giving back to the community.

Use this thread to post a list of either what you need help with or what you're willing and able to help others with.

If you see somebody you think you're a match with, send them a Private Message. All mentorship agreements are private arrangements between the two parties involved. Crochetville bears no responsibility for how well an arrangement does or does not work out.

When you have a great mentor experience, feel free to start a new thread and let us know how it worked out for you.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve done a little bit of crochet design and consider myself a beginner in the design arena and would appreciate advice on how to take it to the next level and become a successful designer. My specific questions for designers are:

· When you have a project, how to you decide where to submit it (magazine publications versus books or leaflets)?

· How do you get information on book publications that need projects?

· What factors play into the success of getting your projects published?

· What types of projects tend to be more lucrative?

Thanks!

I would also like a mentor for starting a business. I crochet and make other crafts, and would love to sell them online, but have no idea as to how to start.

The best thing I can suggest is taking Amy's 'Do you want to start a crochet related business?' There is so much information and she points you in the direction of how to find out what you need to know for your specific area.

Thanks for info on the class Rose. Did you take the class, and if so what did you find helpful about it? I'll take it next time it is offered, but since this forum is about business mentoring I'd still like advice and help if anyone is willing to give it.

I did. I didn't realize how much actually goes into making a legal business until I took that class. There's so much more than just opening an Etsy or Ravelry store. At least there is if you want to run a legal/legitimate business.

Laws vary from state to state and county to county. The class goes over what is needed and points you in the right directions to find the answers for yourself. Different states and counties require different permits, zoning laws, insurance, registering business names, sales tax, selling things for children, etc.

It's kinda hard to even know where to begin answering a question for just open advice.

Guess I should have been more specific about the type of advice I'm looking for in my last post even though I stated it in my first post. I'm interested in advice on selling crochet designs. Any and all advice. I've sold some designs but wish that I was selling more.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just found this thread and since your question isn't THAT old, I thought I'd try to help.  :-)

Permits, business licenses, etc. will depend on where you live.  Your state, county and even city may require registration or licensing - you have to spend some time researching online to find out what you need.

One thing you will need to do - assuming you live in a state that has sales tax - is collect sales tax on items you sell to those who live in your state.  You need to apply for a sales tax ID from your state (you'll probably be able to do it all online). 

Also, please know that Uncle Sam expects you to report any and ALL income - whether you're selling on Etsy, local craft fairs, or whatever.  So keep good records and receipts so you can offset that income with your expenses. 

• 9 months later...

Does all correspondence with a mentor have to be discussed on the forum or can we exchange emails and communicate offline?  

I want to protect the ideas that I have and not broadcast it before I have a chance to fully develop it.

I need help with:

Finalizing a name, products to include, creating multiple etsy sites for different products, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Sara, discussions do not need to take place on the forum. The forum is just the place where people can try to connect with each other.

• 2 weeks later...

Does all correspondence with a mentor have to be discussed on the forum or can we exchange emails and communicate offline?  

I want to protect the ideas that I have and not broadcast it before I have a chance to fully develop it.

I need help with:

Finalizing a name, products to include, creating multiple etsy sites for different products, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Sara - if you're still looking for a mentor, I'd be glad to help.  I have been on Etsy for several years selling patterns & finished items; I also self-publish 99% of my designs - if those fit with your business goals, just send me an email and we'll talk.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking for a mentor to help me with various things. To keep this post as short as possible and to the point.

~  I want to sell crochet items I make and start to create on Etsy and Ravelry but am not sure how to begin.

~  I would like help on how I can get into designing my own stuff.

~  How to get a simple method for pricing items

~  Help on submitting my crocheted works into publications.

~  How to start up a webpage or improve on my blog.

I am serious about learning more and getting help. I don't have money for classes and don't want to get the run around from people. So if you are serious in helping a new person to the crochet business out. Please email me at Kate315125@aol.com or reply back to this post. Thank you.

Edited by crochetluver80

I am looking for a mentor to help me with various things. To keep this post as short as possible and to the point.

~  I want to sell crochet items I make and start to create on Etsy and Ravelry but am not sure how to begin.

~  I would like help on how I can get into designing my own stuff.

~  How to get a simple method for pricing items

~  Help on submitting my crocheted works into publications.

~  How to start up a webpage or improve on my blog.

I am serious about learning more and getting help. I don't have money for classes and don't want to get the run around from people. So if you are serious in helping a new person to the crochet business out. Please email me at Kate315125@aol.com or reply back to this post. Thank you.

Hi Lisa - I've been on Etsy for several years selling patterns & finished items; I also self-publish 99% of my designs.  I have my own website that includes a blog and ecommerce functionality.  I'm a professional member of CGOA and available through their mentoring program (if you're an associate professional member).

Otherwise, feel free to contact me here or directly at playingwithfiber @ gmail.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 years later...

I know this post is almost 8 years old but I really need a mentor, I am very talented when it comes to crocheting and I want to start making patterns but I am very confused and just don't know where to start, ....well a lot of small questions have snowballed into confusion and anxiety. I google search a lot of things but I need someone to be raw with me and help me understand a few things...I also need to be patient...so that's something that I realized on my on. I really hope to get a response. I would be beyond grateful. Thank you in advance...I literally typed in "crochet mentor" word for word.