What do you think counts as an amigurumi?

Are you talking completely crocheted dolls or dolls with the plastic heads/hands?

I have a pretty broad definition of ami's that included dolls, animals, food, inanimate objects like toy cars, ships, etc. I don't necessarily think of ami's as the dolls you make with the plastic heads, etc. Those generally use different techniques, which is why I keep them as a different category.

Then again I don't tend to worry too much about how others categorize my work. Some of the toy patterns I use require assembly that some consider to be OK and others consider not traditional ami. Doesn't matter to me. I suppose if you were to enter a contest or be a part of a swap you would want to agree to specific rules regarding acceptable definitions.

I count the dolls, the animals, the rocket ships, the food, and all the other themes.

I consulted June Gilbank's book and she defines the Japanese term as "cute crocheted toys" and acknowledges they have come to include dolls, food, and other objects.

I agree with Bailey. Any fully crocheted toy, including dolls, food items, etc. I have even seen a pattern for amigurumi poo. :lol :lol :lol

(Did that pattern belong to someone here? I can't recall. :shrug )

The gurumi part of amigurumi comes from nuigurumi, the Japanese term for stuffed toys. Broken up, nui means sewn (ami means knitted or crocheted) and gurumi means bundle/package.

That is the correct origin for amigurumi. It also includes things made with anthromorphic qualities = human like attributes on other shapes. To me I consider anything created small and compact can be considered amigurumi since it is a small bundle/package.

I think of myself as a purist. The original Japanese amigurumi had a distinction and a style that was aesthetically pleasing.

Today - I appreciate it when anyone puts an "Amigurmi" warning on posts or patterns. Lets me know to avoid those as they are usually just some little thing that happens to be crocheted. I know - crochet heresy but I can live with that label.

I think of myself as a purist. The original Japanese amigurumi had a distinction and a style that was aesthetically pleasing.

Today - I appreciate it when anyone puts an "Amigurmi" warning on posts or patterns. Lets me know to avoid those as they are usually just some little thing that happens to be crocheted. I know - crochet heresy but I can live with that label.

Not sure what you mean by being a purist or which designs you feel are "aesthetically pleasing." I think most ami's are cute and that was the original concept.

Ami history is not well documented since people have been making stuffed toys from crochet and knitting for centuries in all parts of the world. One article said they believed it originally came from China where they have been making crocheted dolls since ancient times. But only in the last 10-20 years has it been called amigurumi and really exploded in popularity with the "cute" phase of Japanese culture (which includes such things as Hello Kitty and Sailor Moon). Several sites also say, "In the late 80s, Japanese national broadcaster NHK ran a show titled 'Ami', and the amigurumi craze was born." Those designs were and are usually "cute" in nature -- not the fancy crochet, but usually designs done in all single crochet with cute faces and characteristics.

An interesting thread, but no matter what everyone's opinion is, the important thing is it works for so many people. I am not really into crocheting it, but I certainly can appreciate the time and effort that went into making the pieces, no matter what we choose to call it....:hug

An interesting thread, but no matter what everyone's opinion is, the important thing is it works for so many people. I am not really into crocheting it, but I certainly can appreciate the time and effort that went into making the pieces, no matter what we choose to call it....:hug

:tup:

Archived