What is the best yarn you have used to make afghans?

crochetdiva

We finally got a Hobby Lobby and I am making my first RR with it. I like it so far. It is much softer than RH and it seems stronger too.

Just try breaking ILTY...try!!! I can break almost any other brand of ww (at least that I've used) But, if I forget the scissors with the ILTY..forget trying to break it.

For baby yarn, I like loops and threads snuggly wuggly. It's thin but drapes nicely, holds up well and is soft.

I'm also a huge fan of l&t impeccable its a soft acrylic and almost always on sale. I'm using it right now to make a neutral cowboy/cowgirl blanket for dfs coworkers baby.

Michaels impeccable is another brand I do like. It is much more limited in colors, but I do like hooking with it. Just finished a hat with it and it is soft and not been washed yet

ILTY is at the top of my list, but Bernat Berella 4 was my all time fav. Unfortunately it has been discontinured, :sigh.

RHSS does use too much sizing in the process of their yarn making, luckily it does soften up in the wash, or I don't think it would sell all that well.

I also have to mention the new Impeccable yarn, I am finding I enjoy working with it as well as Caron's Paints. The paints line isn't as fine as Simply Soft and holds it's shape better as well as having a good "feel".

Just try breaking ILTY...try!!! I can break almost any other brand of ww (at least that I've used) But, if I forget the scissors with the ILTY..forget trying to break it.

lol, I didn't have my scissors handy so I tried to break it and no way would it break. I have to drive 70 miles round trip to buy ILTY but I think it will be worth it.

• 2 months later...

Another vote for the ILTY.... love love love it! Although recently I have been getting skeins with two or three knots in them which is really diasapointing since I HATE burying all the extra ends. But still at the top of my list!

Man, am I glad I stumbled on this thread! Since I'm still new to this whole thing, I spend about 2 hours in front of the yarn every time I need some. :)

I used Caron Simply Soft to make my first couple of blankets (they were for a baby). I loved working with them but I'm a little worried how well they will hold up. The yarn was kinda linty when I was working with it. Its SO soft! I wanted to cuddle with the blankets while I was making them. :)

I used Impeccable for my first afgan. I liked it, and actually I found that the BIG skeins were softer than the smaller. Or at least it seemed like that to me. I usually go to Michael's for all my yarn because it just seems like the sale are better but I'll have to try the Hobby Lobby yarn sometime soon.

I just checked online and they don't have the colors I need for a spiderman blanket :(

For my spiderman afghans I use bernat super value...it's not quite as soft as hl's I love this yarn, but not far from it. Much softer than rhss.

http://s346.photobucket.com/albums/p403/mva549308/?action=view&current=HPIM0974.jpg

http://s346.photobucket.com/albums/p403/mva549308/?action=view&current=SDC11640.jpg#!oZZ203QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs346.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fp403%2Fmva549308%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DSDC11640.jpg

both of these are made with bernat super value, the red is berry I believe and the blue is royal blue

I always wash things before I give them away. It washes out the sizing, any body oils left behind from making it and softens it up. This way it can be used as soon as it's opened.

I only use hypo-allergenic and no perfume laundry detergent anyways.

I also include a washing/care card with my ghans. If people know they can wash it in the machine with no special care they're more likely to actually use it.

• 2 weeks later...

Since you are making it for a baby I like to simply soft by carron, Softee baby by Bernat or TLC baby by Red Heart, in that order. They are soft for baby skin, easy to care for great to work with.

Archived