Yarn Hurts

Astridity

Question

Hi! I am a new to crocheting and have a bit of a silly question. I started about two weeks ago, and have successfully made a great shawl and cute hat, but the yarn is killing my fingers. I wrap it around my pinky, over my ring finger and then keep it on my pointer finger. I am starting to get a rug burn sort of loop across that finger, and it burns to have yarn rub over it. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I have tried putting the yarn in different positions, but I can't seem to break away from this way; maybe I just have super sensitive skin :P Thanks for any replies! (I don't know if it matters, but it's supposed to be soft acrylic yarn.) :c9

16 answers to this question

Softer yarn will help, as will altering your grip. I hold my yarn the way Megan does, but in my right hand. ;) I remember reading the "correct" way to hold yarn back when I was trying to teach myself how to crochet, and it seemed needlessly complicated, so I just held it the way my mother does.

I agree with everyone....my suggestions would be to loosen the tension, spoil yourself with some yummy soft yarn, and rub some nice-smelling, soothing lotion on your hands before crocheting.

..or, maybe you'll develop a callous in a week or two and be the envy of all your friends! :)

Congrats on starting to crochet. It's much cooler than knitting :)

Some great advice here. I also wanted to add that it may be because you are rubbing yarn where the skin was soft before you began crocheting. I know my fingers are tougher than when I first began crocheting. After a while your fingers can take it lol! In the first few week I think I had the same problem.

Also like mentioned by another poster, try loosening your tension if you think that may be the problem or covering the sore spot with a bandaid until it heals & then you can give it a try again without "padding".

I'd try putting first aid tape or a bandaid on in the meantime and try changing the way you hold the yarn if it's really severe and happens all the time, though that is hard to do if you're really used to it. Or, once your finger is feeling better, try a different yarn and see if the same thing happens--maybe it's just the yarn, or maybe it's because you've been crocheting a bunch and your skin isn't used to the yarn moving over it all the time.

I tend to get a sore spot on the front of my index finger after I crochet for a long time, and I just wrap some first aid tape (the white kind, I think it's about 1/4" wide) around it when it starts to happen. (A bandaid would work just as well, probably better, but bandaids tend to give me a rash :P so I avoid them unless I really need one.)

I'll tell you, though, I've thrown away yarn before because it hurt my fingers to work with it. I couldn't even bring myself to make a stuffed toy with the stuff, much less the baby clothes I usually make. I don't even buy Red Heart Super Saver these days.

Oh, I don't know, I think just about any kind of yarn can hurt if you're pulling too tight. I have a mark on my finger from this fancy, expensive yarn (that I bought on sale) from all the chains I do with it and I'm certainly not throwing that away. ;)

I have to correct myself, having actually paid attention to what I was doing earlier, instead of trying to remember what's basically instinct at this point--I sort of loop the yarn around the forefinger of my right hand & use that to control the tension.

Really, whatever works, right?

I'll tell you, though, I've thrown away yarn before because it hurt my fingers to work with it. I couldn't even bring myself to make a stuffed toy with the stuff, much less the baby clothes I usually make. I don't even buy Red Heart Super Saver these days.

I dont even loop the yarn over any fingers or run it in between..I hold it lightly in the palm of my hand with the 2-4th fingers cupped inward toward the palm. I use my forefinger and thumb to guide my project. Never have any trouble, yes I know its the "wrong" way but it gets the job done and no one can even tell I don't do it right! Good luck finding your comfort zone! :hook

That happens to me when I use the SuperSaver-type acrylic yarns. I stick mostly with natural fibers and it isn't an issue. Maybe you're just like me! lol

I bought a yarn guide from Herrschners. It's a plastic ring like thingie that goes on your pointer finger, with little raised grooves for the yarn. that might help.:)

I remember that hurting too, and sometimes it still does nowdays.

The way I hold my yarn is to weave it over my ring finger, under the middle one and over the pointer.

I know one of my problems may have been that my hands were very dry.

Well, I don't hold my yarn the "correct" way, I run it in between my left pointer and middle fingers. Thats the best way that works for me, so I would suggest experimenting with the way you hold it. Although, when I'm crocheting non stop for a while, my fingers tend to hurt too :) Gotta pace yourself! *lol*

:manyheart Megan:manyheart

Archived