Stiffening crochet snowflakes

Hi everybody, I am planning on crocheting a few snowflakes :flake out of size 10 crochet cotton this Holiday season to attach to gifts. I have a heavy duty starch that I used in the past that didnt make them very stiff. Can I just mix elmers glue with a bit of water or is there other methods of making a snowflake stiff :think

Thanks!

Hi ~ I have used a 50-50 mixture of glue/water on snowflakes that, in my opinion, stiffens them nicely. Just last evening, I stiffened a stand-up angel with this ratio and she's standing pretty. :)

Hope this helps! Best wishes with your projects. :manyheart

I also used the Elmer's glue 1/2 & 1/2 with water for snowflakes and angels. The only problem with them is, if they happen to get wet, they go limp (as do all methods I know of) but -- put them up and they will re-stiffen just fine.

I do the 1/2 and 1/2 also. I just put it in a 'tupperware' (regarless of the brand it's called tupperware in my house) and mix it up. It'll last 3 or 4 years in that bowl if it's covered tightly.

The other thing that I've tried when the glue/water wasn't strong enough for a doily I wanted to hang was to soak it down with clear acrylic spray paint. That works so well that the snowflake will snap in half if you try to bend it.

I use a fabric stiffener that I dilute slightly to make it go further! I got it from my local craft shop and it comes in liquid form. I also agree that the diluted glue would work just as well! I like to put really fine glitter on my snowflakes, so I put a little bit in the mixture. Good luck with your snowflakes.

if you go to jrnylst's blog (Monday snowflake lady!) she pins her snowflakes, and then paints white glue (with just a bit of water) directly onto the pinned flake, and then sprinkles glitter. I like that, myself...less gluey fingers. (somethings I just have to "dip and squeeze" though...b/c of the shape or size of the thing).

Also, there's a product called "stiffen stuff" (glue aisle at Hobby Lobby) that I heard about from heart's blog. It takes more of it to get *really* stiff, but works well. I use it on tiny pieces most (like earrings if I need to stiffen the crocheted embellishment), but I also used it on a lacy piece hanging on my kitchen wall. I just gave it a few extra coats.

clear acrylic spray? neat idea! I might have to find that for the next doily-bowl I try. even straight white glue wasn't holding it's shape well enough. (as long as the doily bowl won't snap if I use it) :)

I'm sure you've finished by now but thought I'd say that I've used Aleene's Fabric Stiffener when making snowflakes and angels. I works really well.

I've used undiluted Elmer's white glue for years to stiffen snowflakes. It works nicely and is non-toxic. One year, I was in a hurry and thought I would shorten drying time by using a quick zap in the microwave. Please, ladies, don't do that. My flakes looked like browned cookies -- there was no saving them!

I've used undiluted Elmer's white glue for years to stiffen snowflakes. It works nicely and is non-toxic. One year, I was in a hurry and thought I would shorten drying time by using a quick zap in the microwave. Please, ladies, don't do that. My flakes looked like browned cookies -- there was no saving them!

Oh Yikes!!! And yes I made my :flake:flake!! I used the elmers glue and water. I pinned them first then painted them. I only ended up having to pin one side. They came out very well :clap. I've tried starch in the past and it never would dry completely. And has anybody else tried the hairspray method?? The clear paint also sounds very interesting. Thank you everybody for your input! :manyheart

Archived