Tye Dye RHSS

annmcc1976

I had a request for a Queen size afghan after mention I crochet on a fb group im on.. the guy said it will be for his wife an the pattern can be Simple.. but when I asked him what colors his wife would like he said she like tye dye things. I came across this http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=357181.0

how easy would it be to do this with WW (RHSS). I could could just get a few pounders of white.

What do you think? i dont want to use cotten as that would be so expensive to buy a bunch of lil balls cotten!!! not to meantion heavey when it' is done as it will be queen size

I would make a little swatch and see if you can dye acrylic in the first place, before you try a whole afghan. I think you are going to need to make this in cotton if you want to dye it. You can buy cotton in cones (they used to be 1 pound but they are less now, what can I say...check Walmart)

What if you just got all sorts of crazy bright colors and made a round ripple? Or does it need to be oblong? Or, a wackily colorful collection of varigated yarns and make crazy stripes?

edit, here is a site about dying acrylic, it doesn't look good...requires a special die, you need to boil it, need a special type of container, some dyes are toxic....http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/acrylic.shtml

I think if you used a bright variegated (or two!) and a solid to separate them, and did something like a round-ripple, you would get something that would look quite tye-dye. acrylic isn't very dye-friendly, sadly. you really have to stick with natural fibers, cotton or wools...

HTH

lol rose I"m not good with Graph's yet. I"m thinking Granny squares. with varagated and white. now to find a pattern that would look neat. I'm thinking squares would be quicker to make to get a queen size.

how much do you think I should charge for a queen? I want to be fair. as like me he is struggling to find money for chistmas gifts for his family. I was thinking $65. what do you think

see if you can get him to buy the yarn up front, if possible have him meet with you to pick the colors, even. Then at the very least you won't be out the cost of materials if the worst happens and they change their minds. After that, you'll want to come to an agreement on how much more is a fair price for your time and expertise (and how much you're "donating" to help a fellow person struggling to make holiday-ends meet)

HTH

yea.. he's a local guy.. he use to work for one of the tow companys that my ins company uses.. and he remembers me comming around in my ice cream truck. so that may work.. i trust him and know i can safely meet him at walmart n not have to worrie.

I am meeting up with him this week to show him patterns I have and discuss that part. we will see.

If this person wants tie dye and is willing to pay for the yarn and its a

commissioned work you might want to check the yarns at:

http://www.knitpicks.com or http://www.yarn.com which is webs a large yarn concern.

When I do commissioned pieces my fee is 3x the cost of the yarn.

Any fiber art work takes time. More so if you are designing and graphing.

Good luck with your project.

If this person wants tie dye and is willing to pay for the yarn and its a

commissioned work you might want to check the yarns at:

www.knitpicks.com or www.yarn.com which is webs a large yarn concern.

When I do commissioned pieces my fee is 3x the cost of the yarn.

Any fiber art work takes time. More so if you are designing and graphing.

Good luck with your project.

yea I normaly would have charged like 85 or 90 for a queen blanket. but I am helping the guy out. beacuse one hand wash's the other.. he's a mechanic. and I know he is giving me a discount on fixing my truck when I have the money to get it fixed. . I never thought of knitpicks. I do love their yarn and drool over it when I get their books in the mail lol

Archived