2012 Swap Ideas--Your Input Requested

Hey everyone, I hope no one minds my starting this topic where it will catch the attention of people not currently swapping, who may therefore not be checking the swap forum threads for any general discussions.

I am getting the list of swaps ready for next year and would like to see if there is interest in having Canadians-only and Europeans-only swaps. I know that postage has become quite prohibitive across the pond (or even just across an invisible border). I'm assuming that postage between the E.U. countries is not outrageous, but if it is, please let me know.

We can talk about swap ideas (which swaps you'd most like to have) if there's enough interest to set these in motion.

So how about it? Oh Canada! Europe Crochets! Let me know your thoughts.

Patty

I'd be interested in a Euro-wide swap ... as I said in the original thread about this issue, I know how much postage will cost and I take it into account when planning a swap. However, it's now at the stage where it can cost more to post a parcel than the contents of the parcel - if I want to include sweet treats or coffee, I can forget about it.

But how many active users are there in Europe? I know we have a couple of Swedish gals and a few UK members -and me here in Germany -- anyone else out there???

Yes, it would be a regularly scheduled swap, on our list; it would just have a notation that it was for Canadians only or European members only. We're delighted to do this, because I know first hand that many of our European, Australian, and South American swappers no longer participate. But I want to make sure there's interest, get feedback on what kind of swap they want (scarf, kitchen, something else).

But they won't involve US swappers, because we're trying to avoid the tremendous shipping costs. These would be equivalent to existing swaps, just with a targeted geographic range.

ETA: However, all members are welcome to participate in the general swaps. So if a Canadian or European or Australian member was not concerned about shipping costs, they would be welcome in the regular swaps, too. Usually there are 1 or 2 people who are interested in swapping with a foreign partner. That pool is pretty small, however, and I'm hoping to avoid a situation developing where the same people swap with each other over and over. We already have that issue, to a certain extent, with the smoke and pet allergy questions on the surveys.

We don't want to exclude any members from swaps. What we're trying to do is open up new swapping opportunities for the non-US members.

In terms of the types of swaps we could do on a European basis - well, perhaps simply a "Local Yarn Swap"instead of e.g. a fall yarn swap or a baby yarn swap. Similarly, maybe a kit swap as well/instead. One of the advantages of living in a place with a collection of countries in one geographic range is that each country has its own yarnie specialities.

love reading the above convo! :U

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I'll put it here, so more people can possibly see it. I thought maybe a "Kids Swap" might be nice. The idea came when thinking of how my kids are so excited when something comes in the mail for them...So this would be a swap--could easily be a max $10 swap--with our kids/grandkids in mind (and thus survey questions would reflect that). And the looks on their faces when something comes, just for them...Delightful! (like the hubby swap, or pet swap...but this time, for the kids...if you were confused :P)

I do hope to see the max$10 and KISS swaps continued, as well, this year.

(I don't have any other ideas just now for possible swaps...but I'll keep reading to see what others come up with :U)

We did a kids swap a couple of years ago, and it wasn't a resounding success. Getting the right aged kids is a problem. You sign up with your toddlers, but get paired with someone with tweens. Who understands tweens these days? I think many swappers do try to include a little stuff for their partner's kids, if they know about them and can afford it, but I worry logistically this might be a can of worms. You give your kids an occasional sweet, but your partner only feeds organic, free-range, fiber-filled, hand-pressed artisanal food, and never sweets. Okay, extreme example, but matching adults for swaps is hard enough.

I'm happy to entertain requests, but make no promises. And I certainly don't want to rain on anyone's parade. Swap ideas I've thought were great over the years have turned out to be duds, so really, it's a guessing game sometimes.

Several people have pm'd me or another hostess about an LYS swap, but I'm having trouble with the logistics and requirements, so if anyone has any ideas, please post them or pm me. We'd love to support our local yarn store owners in this bad economy, and we'd love to make them aware, or more aware, of their crocheting customers.

I do have some-what I hope will be-super fun ideas for next year, though.

I do hope there is going to be an LYS yarn :yarn:yarn swap next year, that people in the US can participate in:)

Oops Patty i did not see your last post before i posted. I would like to see a swap focused on yarn from LYS. my favorite would be one where swappers are encouraged to shop locally, but of course that is not always possible so it would need to include things ordered online as well. It is always interesting to see what new yarns are out there, that one's own LYS may not carry. My idea would be more of a yarn sampler type thing, just a skein or two, due to the cost.

Okay, Kathy, how about some help then, please, pretty please. Although this will sadly exclude our many swappers who don't live in an area with a LYS near them (we have a lot of rural swappers and people who buy yarn online only, like AuntBubbels, who doesn't have an LYS near her).

I thought about a dollar amount that should be spent on a yarn your partner has never tried. Some LYS yarns can be expensive, but that way someone could buy either 2 or 3 skeins of Plymouth Encore or 1 or 2 skeins of a more expensive Noro or Mirasol.

I thought about a longer, maybe 2 month swap, that would involve buying your partner and yourself 1 or 2 of the same skeins of yarn, then you both make an item, and we chat about the yarn properties, the pattern you chose, etc. A way for you to have fun and more of a sharing info and experiences as well as yarn swap.

Ideas? Help me, swappers! For the life of me, I'm stumped on this one.

But I'd still love to hear from our Canadian, European, Australian and other regions hither and yon members whether they'd like a swap or swaps geared just for them.

Okay, Kathy, how about some help then, please, pretty please. Although this will sadly exclude our many swappers who don't live in an area with a LYS near them (we have a lot of rural swappers and people who buy yarn online only, like AuntBubbels, who doesn't have an LYS near her).

I thought about a dollar amount that should be spent on a yarn your partner has never tried. Some LYS yarns can be expensive, but that way someone could buy either 2 or 3 skeins of Plymouth Encore or 1 or 2 skeins of a more expensive Noro or Mirasol.

I thought about a longer, maybe 2 month swap, that would involve buying your partner and yourself 1 or 2 of the same skeins of yarn, then you both make an item, and we chat about the yarn properties, the pattern you chose, etc. A way for you to have fun and more of a sharing info and experiences as well as yarn swap.

Ideas? Help me, swappers! For the life of me, I'm stumped on this one.

But I'd still love to hear from our Canadian, European, Australian and other regions hither and yon members whether they'd like a swap or swaps geared just for them.

I would be happy to help with an LYS swap, just let me know what I can do:)

Should i start a new thread to discuss a US LYS swap? To keep from derailing this thread away from the Europe discussion.

I'd love a few Euro-based swaps, but if they get TOO specific, it will be hard to get enough participants. A general yarn swap, a kit swap, maybe a purse/tote swap...those would have a wide enough interest to be good, I think. The KISS swaps are good for overseas, too--the items are small enough so that the postage isn't impossible.

We did a kids swap a couple of years ago, and it wasn't a resounding success. Getting the right aged kids is a problem. You sign up with your toddlers, but get paired with someone with tweens. Who understands tweens these days? I think many swappers do try to include a little stuff for their partner's kids, if they know about them and can afford it, but I worry logistically this might be a can of worms. You give your kids an occasional sweet, but your partner only feeds organic, free-range, fiber-filled, hand-pressed artisanal food, and never sweets. Okay, extreme example, but matching adults for swaps is hard enough.

I'm happy to entertain requests, but make no promises. And I certainly don't want to rain on anyone's parade. Swap ideas I've thought were great over the years have turned out to be duds, so really, it's a guessing game sometimes.

I do have some-what I hope will be-super fun ideas for next year, though.

That makes sense, Patty. I can imagine that the pairing up would make it a challenge. I hadn't really thought of that. (and I think I missed seeing the kids swap when it was tried last time...so I had no idea it had even been tried already (but I shoulda guessed :wink))

I can't wait to see what great ideas are coming! :U

I would love to join a European swap. I agree with Karen, there are always smaller swaps and KISS swaps which make international participation easier, but it would be fun and interesting to see how many C'villers there are on this side of the Atlantic.

We could do some sort of yarn swap (oh, like maybe sock yarn-- sock yarn is addictive and, apparently, does not count as stash, because the skeins are small:devil)

What about a market bag swap, because in many places you have to bring your own grocery bags to the store.

I'd also be interested in a tea cozy swap. But that is so specific that it would have to be swap for everyone.

I would be happy to help with an LYS swap, just let me know what I can do:)

Should i start a new thread to discuss a US LYS swap? To keep from derailing this thread away from the Europe discussion.

What I actually need from you is an idea how to organize, not for the offer of hosting (but many thanks for that). My email details the two ideas we hostesses were able to come up with, but there was discussion about how swappers might not like the buy one for yourself/one for your partner aspect of the first one, or maybe not the longer format of the second (since it would tie them up and not allow them to participate in more than one more swap while it was going on).

What I need is a way to organize this swap the differentiates it from any other yarn swap, other than requiring the yarn be purchased in a LYS. To me, that just seems boring. But if that's all other want, that's fine with me.

Patty

What I need is a way to organize this swap the differentiates it from any other yarn swap, other than requiring the yarn be purchased in a LYS. To me, that just seems boring. But if that's all other want, that's fine with me.

How about a 'Posh Yarn' swap? Which, of course, you could buy at a LYS, but also online - so people who don't have a LYS would not be excluded. The idea would be that you buy ONE skein of a fancy yarn (or set a price limit - whatever you can get for $20 or less, so 2 skeins if possible) - maybe locally-spun, maybe typical of your area, maybe something you'd never buy for yourself because you're too thrifty/frugal (=mean) when it comes to yourself (but, like me, you have no problem buying it for someone else, hehe). It would give people the chance to try a yarn that they would never dare buy for themselves :lol In other words, try an indie spinner or Noro yarn or an Etsy seller - something exciting that you've never seen before.

Included could be a pattern for the yarn (one skein of sock yarn, for example, makes a lovely pair of mittens, a fancy scarf, or a straightforward hat) and the appropriate hook.

What I actually need from you is an idea how to organize, not for the offer of hosting (but many thanks for that). My email details the two ideas we hostesses were able to come up with, but there was discussion about how swappers might not like the buy one for yourself/one for your partner aspect of the first one, or maybe not the longer format of the second (since it would tie them up and not allow them to participate in more than one more swap while it was going on).

Patty

:) i did realize you weren't asking me to be a hostess, having only participated in two swaps i am sure would'nt have the qualifications!:lol. But i am willing to help in whatever way i can. I like this idea from your previous post "I thought about a dollar amount that should be spent on a yarn your partner has never tried. Some LYS yarns can be expensive, but that way someone could buy either 2 or 3 skeins of Plymouth Encore or 1 or 2 skeins of a more expensive Noro or Mirasol. " To me that would work well with say a $25 minimum. To me, buying Lys yarn is never boring, so i think this idea would be interesting enough. It would be interesting to get to know what your partner has already tried and what they want to try but haven't yet, get ideas about what to surprise them with.

How about a 'Posh Yarn' swap? Which, of course, you could buy at a LYS, but also online - so people who don't have a LYS would not be excluded. The idea would be that you buy ONE skein of a fancy yarn (or set a price limit - whatever you can get for $20 or less, so 2 skeins if possible) - maybe locally-spun, maybe typical of your area, maybe something you'd never buy for yourself because you're too thrifty/frugal (=mean) when it comes to yourself (but, like me, you have no problem buying it for someone else, hehe). It would give people the chance to try a yarn that they would never dare buy for themselves :lol In other words, try an indie spinner or Noro yarn or an Etsy seller - something exciting that you've never seen before.

Included could be a pattern for the yarn (one skein of sock yarn, for example, makes a lovely pair of mittens, a fancy scarf, or a straightforward hat) and the appropriate hook.

:lol i'm with ya on how easy it is to buy yarn for somebody else! Fun too:yay

i agree with what you say about including locally produced yarn! that would be a really fun category. Overall, I would like for the swap to encourage people to buy locally, from an LYS, fiber festival, or local producer. but there are plenty of online sources for "posh":yarn yarn, like Webs, Yarnmarket, etc. and a lot of LYS sell online too.

unfortunately i am a bit skeptical about Etsy yarn, maybe i am overly paranoid about that. (However I have learned that it is actually OK to be really specific on a swap questionnaire so i could just say i would rather not get any yarn from there i suppose.)

i would rather have a swap that only requires yarn, myself. I'd rather spend all my swap $ on yarn and let the recipient choose a pattern.

i would rather have a swap that only requires yarn, myself. I'd rather spend all my swap $ on yarn and let the recipient choose a pattern.

I agree - but there are lots of free patterns and maybe you might know of a pattern that would work well with the yarn you've chosen and you could include a link or a copy of it (= FREE patterns, not advocating copyright infringement, before we all start palpitating! :lol)

I agree - but there are lots of free patterns and maybe you might know of a pattern that would work well with the yarn you've chosen and you could include a link or a copy of it (= FREE patterns, not advocating copyright infringement, before we all start palpitating! :lol)

right, a link to a free patt would be no problem. if i am correctly understanding the latest version of the guidelines, we should not send a copy of a free pattern, just the link.

of course there are times when we might send a swap partner an actual magazine or book :book that we don't want anymore, as an "extra" in a swap.

Archived